Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1234 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 8:06pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So what did you get Dave?

Have spoken to Pigs we will be out 2moro after low tide, so not out early...wind should have dropped by then...we have a few options on the cards.

All goodClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellybait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 8:12pm
smellybait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good luck al... you'll need it... pig will have all his bananas , ginger nuts and hot coffee... celebrating his new job..........so little time for fishing.... give us a shout ......hehehehehe... waving SBClap
If all you have got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellybait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 7:27am
Silver
Silver

Come on Pig and catchelot.... wakey wakey.... coffees on and it's time to hot the water.... have a great day boys....wavingSBClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 9:16pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The phone rang early...I didn't hear it, I got up, made a coffee and checked the messages... It was Pigs, we were set, I quickly threw the gear in the car as it was all packed from last weekend's cancellation due to the weather.
A quick stop at Top Catch to buy some bait and a chinwag with Brown about where the fish were happening. And off I went out to the Heads, picked up Pigs half way and on to Urquharts Bay to meet Tony our Captain for the day.
Our Chariot and vessel for the day, what a beast!Clap
A txt from EKO/Dave and he wasn't far away, launching his vessel at Little Munro Bay.
Here is EKO, our safety and rescue number for the day.LOL
He did damn well trying to keep up with 180 horses of pure Roar!Clap

The day began with a slight Sou'Wester and we steamed out to 3 mile reef for a look around. A few boats were there and we found some sign and structure with some good contacts hugging the bottom which to us said, Snapper!. Thus the anchor was dutifully deployed and it was action stations. Baits galore, and Pigs on the SB. Bites were straight away and hookups but throw back Snappers prevailed. I managed a keeper of 30cm but thought nah they will be bigger and threw it back, alas they did not get bigger...LOL

I deployed a whole Pillie and was rewarded with a lovely John Dory, I was happy I got dinner!
A few more shifts and few more tries and we found the same throw back snaps, Blue Cods and baby Scorpian fish.

Eko decided to try in closer and have a look around Uretiti (nudist beachLOL) and Waipu areas and found a few workups but nothing much happened. We moved on to Fairway Buoy and found a few more throw back Snaps.

The wind dropped right away and the sea unfolded into a tranquil and peaceful calm. We decided to try the Tarakihi grounds.
Pigs was using SB and squids, Tony had Tarakihi flies...
Tony with the target species a lovely Tarakihi.Clap

Pigs finally got to christen and blood his new birthday prezzy with a few Gurnards, a lovely Pflueger reelClap

So a lovely day out from Whanga-Vegas harbour, a beast of a boat with adrenaline pumping Yams, good company of fellas, and good that EKO could join us too...A tough day on the fishing front, but we managed a humble feed, there was many boats out there and many on the move so one of those days that we be thankful and grateful for, and well, it keeps us coming back, that is; The Thrill Of The Wild..., Kia Kaha IkaClap

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:11pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice guys.

Even if you dont have the biggins, it would have been just nice to be out there.  Jealous....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:16pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice one Al, good to see you guys got a feed out there....sounds like you had to work hard for it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:21pm
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

uretiti aye i bet he was right in close Wink some good fish down there. hows the fishing out at the chicks at the moment?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:25pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by OFF THE HOOK OFF THE HOOK wrote:

hows the fishing out at the chicks at the moment?

same as always, hot and cold
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:58pm
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers brown, ive gotta get up there soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellybait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 7:02am
Silver
Silver

nice stuff... didn't realise that pigs dressed up to go fishing,,,, hehehehe well doneThumbs Up... waving SB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 8:00am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

are the pillie boys working up there eden?...
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellybait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 10:13am
Silver
Silver

Mate I saw  Salty Dogs trawler and the other one going out last Saturday....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 10:47am
hogdog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

was in the same area yesterday by the looks of the photos, I was out there a bit earlier on and the fishing was awesome, then someone turned the tap off and it was all over, biggest one I got was 4.6kg though and ended up with my limit on SP
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EKO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 2:55pm
EKO View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by hogdog hogdog wrote:

was in the same area yesterday by the looks of the photos, I was out there a bit earlier on and the fishing was awesome, then someone turned the tap off and it was all over, biggest one I got was 4.6kg though and ended up with my limit on SP

Well done for the morning. It was a hard day's fishing, boats were on the go all day trying to get a feed. Too bloody flat needs to be in the roughLOL & doesn't help getting out late in the morning.

Its not about the size of your boat! "But how you use it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 2:57pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by tobez tobez wrote:

are the pillie boys working up there eden?...
yeah mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EKO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 9:50pm
EKO View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They F@#$ the weather forecast up for today didn't they..... I'm going to head out in the morning for a quick soft bait along waipu. 
Its not about the size of your boat! "But how you use it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 10:18pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good luck Dave, you may not need to head down that far mate....if i wasnt working tommorrow i'd be down there myself
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 9:39am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just had more phone sex from EKO, I can't view his pics as the telecom server is down at present, but his txts say he so far has 5 in the bin, 5 - 10 pound Snappers... the buggar!Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellybait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 10:19am
Silver
Silver

he's going to have to work sooner or later surely.... lucky buggar..... I want a job like his..... The admiral's a tough boss...waving SBThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote forsyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 10:40am
forsyth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can't wait to get back up there Trav - sound mint mate!
How's the landbased going?? And any sign of a good weather window yet? Super keen to come back for a few days!
Big smile
NZFisher: Get your free monthly fishing magazine emailed straight to you. http://www.nzfisher.co.nz
Page  <1234 129>