Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 107108109110111 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 7:17pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It’s been going off in 12m off the race course. Limits in 2-3 hours. Mostly 35-40cm models but a few 50+. Bigger 7inch softbaits are catching the bigger fish but they definitely fish slower than the 5inch or squid vicious. Plenty of real good size Trevally out there at the moment as well. Planning to get out again this Friday, I’ll keep fishing this area until they bugger off when it gets a bit cooler then start focusing on the 40 and 50m marks. if I remember I’ll post how I get on.
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 8:14pm
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ive been using 5inch mostly. Might try with 7inchers next time i go out. I did get a nice trevally too, a few weeks back. Around 50 cm. Theyre good fun! Havent taken any yet. Are they nice eaters?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:13pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Any tips on fishing softies in the harbour? Are you casting ahead of the drift, or dragging behind the boat? Either way, how do you cope when the current in full flow and pushing you along fast? 

Despite living/launching in Parua Bay for four years, I've never really fished in the harbour and haven't turned right (west) on leaving Parua Bay!

Cheers. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:36pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lots of casting lots of retrieving. Vey rarely try fishing in the harbour though as well, maybe once a year when the weather won’t let me out 😂

Trevally are good to eat. I usually bleed when caught and then cut blood lines out before crumbing and frying.
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:41pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Daz. I may give it a go on Friday as well. Want to go fishing, but don't fancy dealing with that swell! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:49pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’ll be heading down off the race course/river mouth again, probably won’t get out until mid day after a bit of work in the morning.... weather permitting, swell should be under a meter by then. 5m Blue/white haines signature 👍
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:28pm
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

When softbaiting in the harbour, i always cast ahead of the drift. You can always find an area where the current isnt too strong. being stationary isnt good neither. 0.5-1.5 knot drift speed seems to work fine usually. Basically if you are finding the drift too fast, move away from the channel. I am using 3/8 to 5/8 Oz jigheads, depending on the current. the lighter the better usually.
After I cast, i let the softbait sink to the bottom, while trying to keep just enough tension on the line - a lot of bites happen during the descent. once it hits the bottom, i start dragging it on the bottom, with little jumps and pauses every few spins. 
On a good day, if you are fishing under 5 meters, the fish will be hitting the SB within seconds after it hits the water. On the bad days, it can be tens of casts between bites. 
In terms of location, i always try to drift along the edges of shallow sand banks. that area right from Parua Bay towards Tamaterau is great. you should give it a go MB! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:03pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks KC. I'm packed and ready to go! My first harbour fishing trip. I will report back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:04pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

KC Fishing - trevs are great to eat but don't try freezing them, they are nowhere near as good. They are also one of the best fish for sashimi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:14pm
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Also - if i can, i usually fish three hours before and after high tide.

I will try a trev sashimi style next time i get one ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:27pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by KCfishing KCfishing wrote:

Also - if i can, i usually fish three hours before and after high tide.

Tomorrow morning's trip is timely then Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 2:18pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I made the mistake of promising Mrs MB some sashimi in the form of trevally, never clever to make fishing promises!

I went straight over to Takahiwai from Parua Bay this morning. Fished the channels and up on to the sandbanks. Nothing, so slowly started making my way up the harbour. It was strange being surrounded by land and watching the commuters drive to work.

There was a little work-up at Tameterau, so went over. First cast produced a solid hook-up. I would have put money on it being a trevally. It stayed deep, did the circling thing etc. You can imagine my "surprise" when a kahawai popped up!

The rest of the morning running up to high tide produced a few more kahawai, some were quite decent in size. Unfortunately, kahawai are not favoured in our household, so were released.

At high tide, I decided I needed a change of scene and the pull of the ocean was just too much. I left the harbour to face the swell. With light winds, it was doable, but not very pleasant. I caught the smallest kingfish I've ever seen at Peach Cove before heading back towards the harbour with my tail between my legs.

Had a few casts in Urquharts Bay as a last ditch attempt to save the morning. Last cast resulted in a nice hook-up. After my experience earlier in the morning, I couldn't say whether it was a snapper, trevally or kahawai, so was pretty happy when a solid trevally came to the side of the ski. 

A harbour trip (sort of!) and mission accomplished.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 2:54pm
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haha i wondered if you were going to stay in the harbour. i guess its a 5 min ride from Parua Bay to the entrance on the jetski, so cant blame you ;) Nice trev though! 
Shame it was a quiet morning for you. It looked like wind against tide this morning. Always a struggle when softbaiting. Plus not sure how the recent water temp drop would affect the fish. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:17pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kahawai is good as Sashimi Andy, do try itClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:42pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Kahawai is good as Sashimi Andy, do try itClap

I know, just can't stand the smell of them, even when they come straight out the water. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:53pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are good in a curry,but then again so is anything. I prefer to smoke them,best smoked fish going,brined for 2 days and a 6hr smoke.
Myself,the worst smelling thing to come off a hook is shark,can't stand it. A mate uses it for bait,and we usually do well cause the little fish can't pull it off the hook,but then de-baiting the hooks stinks too.
You would be stunned using shark as bait,works well,so does gurnard....out west on torpedo anyways.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 7:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

JAson if you keen and are daring enough to try it, catch a dogfish or school shark/tope... soak the fillets in cold salt water...and then cook it and see what you think, washes the stinky sharky ammonia smeel out...Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 7:38am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A few weeks back we came up on a Friday night for a Saturday mission. My mate pulled this donkey out of 40 metres

Safe to say it was worth the trip from Auckland.

Went 75cm and 19lb on the scales

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 10:46am
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

solid fish mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:41pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Didn’t get out Friday as planned as the weather earlier in the week put my mate to far behind so ended up going out Saturday arvo by myself while wife and kids visited in laws in Parua Bay.. started to regret it when I was going through the entrance as it was bloody messy. Pretty messy in bream bay to. Plenty of fish tho.

Go the Warriors!
Page  <1 107108109110111 129>