Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 99100101102103 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 11:09pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done on your big snaps and releases MB, presume chicks on the big ski?

We looked for workups and gannets on sunday, deployed lures from power station to golf course, but no action and sea and wind got worse, we u turned and trolled into smugglers but again the wind got worse so we high tailed it to reotahi and scored a good bin of kahawai and a trev. Even saw about a metre long, what we thought to be a Hawks Beak Turtle, looked like a big weed/kelp ball, as in the same colourClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 11:20pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, Chicks & Ski Smile

Sunday was horrible. I only braved it because I thought conditions were going to get better. Monday was the day. It was just beautiful out there, cold but beautiful.

Heard about the turtle from a family retrieving their boat at the OBC. They didn't catch anything either. I should have offered them a fish, but didn't think about it until afterwards. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 12:19pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sunday was a bit ugly to start with, especially motoring on the dark... We wandered to north of the Mokes. Got some Blue nose and some puka along with Terakihi etc. Day got better and better, ended up motoring in on a flat sea in the late afternoon.

Strange occurrence though - got abused by a launch owner for floating around the same area as them, way out there - apparently its a big ocean. Its funny but my chart didn't say that this was the area for their boat only and imagine people having the same marks for certain fish at certain times of the year in the same area. Go figure...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:24pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thinking of doing a fish off bream head for some Tarakihi or maybe a snapper fish along waipu? Anyone willing to share some Intel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:40pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've been struggling to find snapper in the shallows. Doesn't mean they are not there, just that I can't catch them. 30 - 50 metres has been good lately.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:45pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

Thinking of doing a fish off bream head for some Tarakihi or maybe a snapper fish along waipu? Anyone willing to share some Intel?

No fish there Adam move along, will PM ya later.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:50pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

I've been struggling to find snapper in the shallows. Doesn't mean they are not there, just that I can't catch them. 30 - 50 metres has been good lately.

Cheers. You seem to be having a bit of success out deeper so I wouldn't bother in the shallows just yet. Kingfish should start showing up first week of October going by past experiences.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:54pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

No fish there Adam move along, will PM ya later.LOL

Yea, yea. And there's no deer in Northland either! ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lips/hooked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 7:32pm
lips/hooked View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

a friend just rang and after checking the new borns tomorrow (cows) offered me to go fishing round 9am start, any suggestions as i only want to eat fish it's been awhile. haha i wont haveva choice on were to go but would luv to give an idea that works, i might get invited again? hmmm
$hit happens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 12:51pm
Bob 7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anybody had any luck ruakaka area or power station. I normally head up the mad mile way but the swells have been crap lately. Thinking of heading out later this week if the sea drops??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lips/hooked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:56pm
lips/hooked View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

we tried off ocean beach and scaned the mad mile then to the chicks all for 3throw backs but was dead flat and a nice day out.
$hit happens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nick.g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:55pm
nick.g View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Any snaps in the harbour yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 5:13pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heard of one of 45cm taken in the nook in the weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 5:17pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by nick.g nick.g wrote:

Any snaps in the harbour yet?

We are keeping it quiet from the masses not local but try your usual spots in the harbour and you might be surprised.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:17pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ignoring the harbor, I took the boat out for the first time in 5 months on Saturday morning. Ran it for 60 kms all over the place just with softies and hard bodies.

I regret to advise that no fish were harmed in the making of this journey... Loads of fish and bait on the sounder though. Just not on the chew. Saw the pillie boat take a shot but all they mainly got was snapper. Great to see them opening the net up again and let them all go.

A friend of a friend stayed in the harbor and caught some fish...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 2:23pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mates got limit off Waipu, tried drifting and softeeing first amongst the bait balls, only a couple of takers, then they anchored and laid out the burley and scored their limit before lunchtime. Best fish 50cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:34pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL son went out there 2 days and total 1xgurnard on softbait 1xJD and 1x 45cm Snapper. Useless hua

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 12:35pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow! I always revered some of you as good fishos :P HAHA But more seriously. 

Report. There's fish in Bream Bay, as has been noted above the 37-50m mark has produced some excellent results. slow pitch, kaburas and well most methods that Turtle and krow don't use :P Turtle must be time for an early morning chat :), but again back to being serious :P  
 Some of the local boys out over the weekend had some decent fishing in as close as 8 meters of water binning out in under an hour on some very solid fish, another mate also loaded up in the 44m mark again with some solid fish. 

Kingfish are and have been around all winter in good size and numbers in bream bay.  with the odd rogue running through the harbor as well, hey should be starting to enter in more numbers from now on though 

Hen and chicks and its sounds like the 30m mark on the outside of lady fishing the drop has been working well for some, I would also be looking around the battle ground area with slow pitch from about now on. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Risers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
Risers View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have been fishing off Waipu and Ruakaka for the last couple months with nothing but softbaits and are yet to go a day without getting our limit of snaps. The fishing down there has been awesome for the last couple months. Any tide any time it has been on for us. Water temp is coming up to 17 and there a whole heap of fish about in the shallows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 3:55pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went out for my annual tradition of a birthday dive, had a good mate and my brother on board with me. Launched at OBC at Parua bay at 7:35am Had 60 scallops on the boat by 8:00am.

Continued out the harbor and around to Guano. Noticed some birds working at bream rock, went out and checked it out. Just a school of KY nothing special. Went back to Guano. Anchored up at Guano at 9:03am.

Very first dive over a ledge produced a 16lb snapper when gilled and gutted. Was on the boat and on ice at 9:05am. No other snapper seen around Guano, moved the boat over towards the old woman. Spent 4 hours swimming around, not a lot happening.

Snooped another decent snapper 64cm near the end of the point at the old woman, swam it back to the boat (brother had just gone and moved it to us Tongue) by the time I returned back to my mate, he had shot a slightly larger model (67cm) in the next gut over from where I had shot mine. (1-2 minutes apart)

Since the swell was no-existent decided to check some parts that usually aren't accessible due to being a washing machine and picked up 3 decent crays.

All in all was a fantastic day but slow going considering the distance of ground covered and the fact that the only 3 snapper seen all day managed to come home in the bin. Might add, the first snapper had one squid and a whole octopus in its guts.

Page  <1 99100101102103 129>