Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 96979899100 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Big Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 1:41pm
Big Kev View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Harbour fishing is much better after dark just drift over the flats on the incoming tide no sinkers, you'll be pleasantly surprised
"The worst day fishing is better than the best day working"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote groovyfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 1:46pm
groovyfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would be nudging out of the harbour but wouldn't be going to far. Plenty of fish to be caught along the mainland with out having to run out to the hen and chicks for a feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 1:52pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by johnnyA johnnyA wrote:

Hi all, have had a good few days in Parua Bay with a good feed of scallops and a couple of crays from the Heads.

Caught some snapper out at the Chicks, but haven't landed a legal-sized snapper in the channels near Parua Bay. Should I persist with fishing 5 mins from the bach in the hope of something decent, or is it a better use of time to head out of the harbour?

Cheers

If you are keen on a night fish drift along the island just to the right of parua bay in the shallows, long trace and small ball sinker or if no wind no sinker at all.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnny_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 6:21pm
johnny_A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the info guys - hopefully this wind will die off and I can give this a whirl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SEAFARER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 8:48pm
SEAFARER View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Beware of a very dirty unkempt yacht that almost ran me down while at anchor off the Old Woman.
He approached from the ocean heading towards Marsden Point and did not seem at first to be on a collision course but as yachts tend to travel a bit sideways due to wind and wave action it eventually became apparent that he was headed straight for me and was making no effort to alter his course. As he got closer I started my engine and revved it up to alert the oncoming yacht that there was another boat in the immediate vincinity but still he kept coming straight at me. When it became obvious that he was not going to alter course and a collision was imminent it was too late for me to pull anchor so I reversed at full throttle and thankfully the anchor dragged enough to avoid catastrophe. The hapless skipper pretended not to hear my heartfelt profanities and waved to us as he continued on his way blissfully unaware that he had narrowly missed wrecking my boat and probably killing me and my son in the process.
The Yacht was named Bilbo Baggins. A boat of that name and similar description is registered in Otago so I hope it is not resident here and has already left the area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 8:53pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's no good Seafarer, there's some bloody idiots out there at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnny_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 9:00am
johnny_A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the advice guys, Parua Bay tavern won out over night fishing, but made up for it with an early start. Popped out of the harbour to try my luck off Waipu. Slow to begin, but got a few nice fish in the bin, including a 55cm version - nice to get something that takes line :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CoastalStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 7:01pm
CoastalStan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Early morning fish at the War Zone this morning, plenty of activity with Trevally boil ups everywhere, rat Kingfish and Kahawai. Snapper were slow and then went right off the bite. Had a jig when a Kingfish school came through and after releasing a couple of rats had a real nice Kahawai take a 300gm Jig. Decided to move and had a quick fish at a small piece of foul that's been holding Kingfish for a while and nabbed a nice one for dinner on the jig. Lots of boats about and plenty of life under the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Choirs Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 9:34pm
Choirs Reef View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What is the Warzone?  Never heard of this spot...? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote CoastalStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 9:40pm
CoastalStan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

North Western end of the Chicks, number 10
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Choirs Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:55am
Choirs Reef View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the reply CS.  I don't get out as far as that often, just on the best of days, with my small tinny an all...  Good to hear the trevally starting to appear; looking forward to catch a few this summer.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 7:44pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can't seem to catch a decent snapper for love nor money at the moment. Nice kingie cheered me up today though Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote groovyfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 5:52am
groovyfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work on the king. Certainly seem to be a few around at moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheDMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:30pm
TheDMC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Will be back in NZ next week for an unscheduled visit and have four days spare for fishing. I'll be landbased - how is the outer harbour fishing gents? 
If not great, I'll head further north methinks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sharkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 4:08pm
Sharkies View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went down to Waipu for a dusk fish last night, left marina about 5.30pm. Picked up 3 snapper and a gurnard on soft bait at various spots on the way down. Anchored up and fished bait over a rock down Waipu ways and picked up 3 nice fish biggest going 4.3kg. Started to bite about 8.30pm. Left down there by 9pm. 3 biggest on bait.
Sorry for some reason I can not upload the picture. Will keep trying. Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sharkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 11:29am
Sharkies View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tried it from my phone. Seemed to work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonty.m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:02pm
jonty.m View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey guys where's best place to catch lives around one tree point in a boat??

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sharkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:09pm
Sharkies View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You could try around the little jetty on the OTP side of the log wharf. Might not be the best but normally plenty bait fish there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sharkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:20pm
Sharkies View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Took a couple young Aussie lads out for a fish last night (Wednesday) to try catch a snapper or two. Was a bit choppy as the wind didn't die away. Had a soft bait over some holes off the powerstation. They managed 5 good fish between them with the biggest going 3.1kg. Very stoked and big smiles makes it worth while.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonty.m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:43pm
jonty.m View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by jonty.m jonty.m wrote:

Hey guys where's best place to catch lives around one tree point in a boat??

Thanks

any where really preferably toward the harbour entrance
Page  <1 96979899100 129>