Anyone up for a fush, in Wellington

Page  <1 376377378379>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver9888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:17pm
Diver9888 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They sit on the bottom from what I've observed over the years so your baits will need to be kept safe from the crabs
Do it today because tomorrow has a habit of not turning out the way you want
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ard Choille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:34pm
Ard Choille View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

First time catching a Skate. Never thought I'd get one at Seatoun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skaxdelax82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:12pm
Skaxdelax82 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've fished seatoun atleast 8-10 times and it is either hit or miss as you say. Have got my best harbour catches there but other times it is completely dead. Have caught just kahawai, gurnard, and skate there. There are also a lot of paddle crabs there. If you were to go for gurnard i'd fish after the weather has been settled for a while as they don't like dirty water. Fresh fish baits or any fish bait really is hard to beat for them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ard Choille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:28pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Skaxdelax82 Skaxdelax82 wrote:

I've fished seatoun atleast 8-10 times and it is either hit or miss as you say. Have got my best harbour catches there but other times it is completely dead. Have caught just kahawai, gurnard, and skate there. There are also a lot of paddle crabs there. If you were to go for gurnard i'd fish after the weather has been settled for a while as they don't like dirty water. Fresh fish baits or any fish bait really is hard to beat for them

Yeah I think the Gurnard do love clear calm water there.
Just like Otaki river mouth, gotta keep bait off the bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:14am
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Ard Choille Ard Choille wrote:

Originally posted by Skaxdelax82 Skaxdelax82 wrote:

Yeah I think the Gurnard do love clear calm water there.
Just like Otaki river mouth, gotta keep bait off the bottom.

Hi.

Regarding keeping your bait off the bottom.

Look for a video of how Gurnard act when feeding. You will see they tend to walk across the sea bed rather than swim up in most cases

Like this (not feeding but illustrates the movement)

Also, If you float baits to try and evade crabs, remember that they are paddle crabs and as such will swim up to grab your bait as easily as if it was on the bottom.
You may get a few extra moments out of your bait but unlikely

However if there is evidence of crabs then try this (will take some preparation but worth a poke)

This way you have moar bait and a sense of accomplishment. Plus, if the crabs are big enough you could eat them....

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 6:25pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

me being very much into the (KISS) keep it simple stupid style of fishing.

I will only disregard this when going for gurnard.

Small recurbs 3-4/0 with a nice fish bait, bonito,pillie or mullet oily baits are key
And bling them up with flash or beads they love bling

http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ard Choille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:09pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah 3/0 recurbs with glow beads have been working well for me. Also leaving a little slack in the line has helped.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SURFCASTING POLAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 5:34am
SURFCASTING POLAND View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, im new to the forums, and fishing in Polan Smile!!!
visit my you tube channel and see what fish we catch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGO-2LMO9YU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWbs2FQ8dQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ19vH7WxnY
greetings for you!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lithophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 10:03am
lithophile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I got out to Ngawi last week after the big swells calmed down. Just fished the bay the boats launch from. Not much weed around but the water was dirty. Caught loads of red cod and conga eels. One of my casts somehow went out 10m further than my normal big casts and landed a kahawai. My catch of the day was this eagle ray. It fought very hard with big runs, awesome fish. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dazxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 1:08pm
dazxa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

BUMP...

Unless there's another land based Wellington forum?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lithophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 1:25pm
Bronze
Bronze

Not that I know of. Haven't been out much at all lately. I have had some short sessions flinging a few softbaits around trying to get the hang of them, but no serious fishing. I managed to get some spotties to nibble on them, better than nothing i suppose. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 4:54pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This page died a lot over the last 2 years, especially with Facebook etc. There is a facebook group now for wellington fishing and I think most people post on there rather than on this forum now as I see some of the old regular posters here post on facebook every now and again as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver9888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 7:20pm
Diver9888 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by xtreamz xtreamz wrote:

This page died a lot over the last 2 years, especially with Facebook etc. There is a facebook group now for wellington fishing and I think most people post on there rather than on this forum now as I see some of the old regular posters here post on facebook every now and again as well
I've noticed that.  However, while facebook groups are great for quick advice and conditions, information gets lost.  Sites/Forums like this are really good and important for more in depth discussion from a lot of more informed outdoor people.  There's room for both
Do it today because tomorrow has a habit of not turning out the way you want
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 8:00am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agree with you there Diver9888. This forum still holds a wealth on information and I still use fishing.net regularly to read up on things.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skaxdelax82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 7:33pm
Skaxdelax82 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yea these forums are great cause they are usually used from more knowledgeable fisherman and the info is kept more relevant than facebook. The facebook fishing wellington one is pretty good but there can be a lot of *****ing haha. 
on the fishing front went out a couple weeks ago to wainui beach and used prawn to target some rig but only got a filthy red cod. Dead water was dirty from the southerly swells and waves were a bit too big to keep the light tight, quite frustrating.

also did a mission to lake ferry but as soon as we got there the weather packed it in Cry
chucked the line out a couple times but no way it was setting. there was a seal there that was even battling to get back into the water cause the swell was so big. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lithophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 10:03am
Bronze
Bronze

Ill be heading out at an ungodly hour tomorrow morning to seatoun beach for a fish. Ill probably just soak some squid and throw some lures and soft plastics in the shallows before day breaks. Hopefully all the Kahawai haven't bugged off to river mouths. Any one else planning on going out this weekend?

EDIT (to avoid double posting):  Looks like Seatoun beach is home to good stocks of juvenile kahawai. I caught 4 tiny little guys over sunrise. They were off the bite by 9am as high tide came in.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ard Choille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 9:59pm
Bronze
Bronze

Went for a fish at Seatoun beach on Saturday.
Caught a nice size Kahawai. Plenty of bites
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 11:23pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

this page has been quite for a while now, time to start pushing it along , come on guys post some info and pics about your fishing or if you have any questions pretty the guys will help out if they are serious questions ...

I my self will be doing a few trips over to the rappa which I would happy to post dates and were and when , happy to meet up with people and show a few tricks and tips for the area
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monacoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 2:55pm
Monacoboy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

AGREED !!!

But at the moment it's way to cold for me to go softbaiting.
Maybe next Wed/Thu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote hqt543 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:16pm
hqt543 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all.

Have been out a few times in the last few weeks at Pt Howard, Seaview. All iv been catching is redcod. Have seen other people pulling in decent Kahawai (like 40-50cm) every now and then. Have come across a youtube clip of a "work up" there aswell.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp2sIO-D4pc
Page  <1 376377378379>