Recommended Surf Casting Reel/

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ropo101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 10:24am
ropo101 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry j.k , but the guys in wgtn that have them use them regulary for kingies and have no problems manhandling them, Have a chat with pete lamb , he will tell ya the same thing bud..But i guess everyone has there own opinion on the gear around and available, Each to there own.But when you can deal to a 100kg + ray in overdrive with no problems i guess they are ok?
V8 Super Cars are back,Go the holdens!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 10:41am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Alrighty fair enough mate and no need to be sorry. We all have different views. I'm just sharing mine based on mates experiences as I dont use them myself but along with 6500s they also arent using big baitrunners to target kings on anymore. Sure you might land a small say 20kg king no probs but I dont think they will handle it regularly. They have an ok drag at best (but remember drag isnt everything.) Also, rays really have some pull but fight very differently to kings. They are far from an ideal comparison.

Anyway thats just my 2 cents on it and luckily kahawai guy isn't looking for a reel to target kings anyway so it shouldnt be a problem.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 5:11pm
chad View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

actually i agree with JK on the BBR. long cast spool designed for casting lack a hell of a lot of grunt and strength.  Ive had some very big fish on mine and spool wobble is quite commen. yeah it has a capibility of 12kg of drag in the reel, but this means nothing when the spool is fully extended as the fish is got the heat on it....

spool designs with a lower center of graverty to the main both are more designed for grunt...

Millitarus, diawa have much lighter reels, the one i was refuring too was a saltiga surf, I just didn't mention that because of the price.  My point was that the BBR was a over kill for surfcasting.  each to there own, I own two of them, however now i never use them and perfur light weight reels, nice drags, long cast spools and compact.  Dont get me wront, the BBR is a great reel, its just there are much better reels out there for less that serve the purpose.

just my thoughts

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kahawai_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 6:44pm
kahawai_guy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great responses from all of you.  Thanks.

Yeeha, where in Wellos are you located mate?  Still haven't bought a reel so would be keen to try a few yours out! :)

snakeeyes, good cast technique overview mate, thanks :)

Thanks for the vid Mouthu, very helpful.  Would appear that common consensus here would be that the alvey gives little improvement in casting so would likely only look at buying one for it's longevity .. maybe after the reel I'm currently after breaks!

For all of you that have suggested the Big baitrunner, thanks but this is out of my price-range.

I've got a Daiwa Sealine 600H and a 24kg stick for playing with kingies off the boat or rocks so am looking purely at surfcasting goodness in a reel. 

kadin - I'm looking at the penn spinfisher 950 at the moment also.  Been out on a few missions mate?  How's it held up?

KYG

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 8:19pm
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You have  pm.
A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JohnTheFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 10:50am
JohnTheFisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'd really recommend a Daiwa M7HTMAG Millionaire Surf Cast Reel, it's expensive (around $230) but definitely worth it. Wink
Page  <123