Recommended Surf Casting Reel/

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 5:41pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rumoured is right, this might help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-oiOBrE9M
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 6:07pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

KK  the Alvey is an easy reel to cast and learn with if you get the chance Pete Lamb might be able to help there or put you on to some one who can ;as far as keeping the butt long it will get in your way (end up beating your self to death with the spud)you can always add a reel seat lower down by spud and that will allow use of an egg beater reel also ;most new Alveys come with a dvd showning you how to use them .look under the club section (general/clubs) there is a very good fishing club in welly.
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 6:20pm
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a emcast a alvey and many many freespools if you want to have a try of any of them .
Also in wellington and have a feild where you can see how much distance you are really getting.

Myself and a few others regularly cast there in the quest for more distance
A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chimpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 6:27pm
chimpa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Yeahnah Yeahnah wrote:

I have a emcast a alvey and many many freespools if you want to have a try of any of them .
Also in wellington and have a feild where you can see how much distance you are really getting.

Myself and a few others regularly cast there in the quest for more distance

then what's your weapon of choice bud ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 6:34pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

while fishing in Lyall bay in Wellington.

A friend stuffed a cast and after 20 minutes sorting it out.  He caught the biggest red cod I have seen and when I looked at what he had archived it was not how far he cast but,

as has been said before fish your feet first. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 6:38pm
Platinum
Platinum

Freespools . Abus for distance and daiwas & penns for fishing.
The emcasts is now my wifes and I brought the alvey ...I dont know why I brought the alveyLOL

The freespools can give you a bit of greif tho check the end of the vid out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPhUEm-d5VU

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 6:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by wanabe wanabe wrote:

while fishing in Lyall bay in Wellington.

A friend stuffed a cast and after 20 minutes sorting it out.  He caught the biggest red cod I have seen and when I looked at what he had archived it was not how far he cast but,

as has been said before fish your feet first. 

Sounds like a good reason to cast out a long way ....I can not stand red cod LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 6:45pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Yeahnah Yeahnah wrote:

Freespools . Abus for distance and daiwas & penns for fishing.
The emcasts is now my wifes and I brought the alvey ...I dont know why I brought the alveyLOL

The freespools can give you a bit of greif tho check the end of the vid out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPhUEm-d5VU

would of been for the accuracy casting bit, very hard to beat them at that.
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 6:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

My accuracy is naff regardless of what reel I use .( never practice which is a lot of the problem lol )

How are you going with getting a reel kahawai guy? The offer of trying out my spares is still there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ropo101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 8:09pm
ropo101 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

SHIMANO LONG CAST BAIT RUNNER...SAY NO MORE!!!!...BIG BIG KINGIES, BIG BIG RAYS, BIG SNAPS,SHARKS, WHATEVER YOU WANT THEY WILL STOP IN THERE TRACKS!!!..Ive said my piece, ask anyone who has one and they will say the same thing..they cost a bit more but they are worth every dollar you spend.
V8 Super Cars are back,Go the holdens!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hEUgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 8:59pm
hEUgE View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Surfcasting? Penn Spinfisher, they'll work under water, covered in sand and pull in any of the above. They aren't the most pimped reels out there but there again I've seen bait runners fail 2 years in a row at the snapper classic. If you're into surfcasting proper there's not too many more reels out there that can hack the kind of conditions meted out by the west coast surf. Go for a walk along the beach at the next classic, check out what a lot of folks are using..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snake Eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 1:47pm
Snake Eyes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think that technique will get you casting further than a certain type of reel.  Some are probably better than others for distance but if you can't get a decent cast with an ordinary old reel I can't see how a flash one would make much difference.   Light line (6kg) and a good shock leader (I didn't know they existed until 20 years ago, talk about bust offs!)  together with the biggest sinker your gear will handle should see you getting good distances.   Good stance, feet planted and load the rod up, so it feels like it had a nice whippy bend in it at point of release, should see you casting real good.  I haven't noticed much of a difference between casting an Alvey or an eggbeater as far as distance goes.   A full spool (but not overfull) would also help.  Wind behind you - a nice high cast - take advantage of it.  Wind head on - low flat cast is better.  No I haven't won any casting contests, don't know how to pendulum cast (I don't know how pendulums would go with Alveys) don't use a casting button, but seem to cast ok.

Fished the snapper classic for 23 years so far.  Gave up wading out to the neckline (many years ago) in favour of standing back and getting a good stance happening so instead of flinging your rod at the last minute before getting tipped over, I am in control of the cast, not the sea.  My 2c worth.
A fast games a good game
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 8:47pm
chad View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Big bait runners are ok for fishing but as far as casting goes, they weigh far to much and out balance a rod drasticly compared to the very light reels with long cast spools.   Infact most shimano reels are etheir quite heavy or dont have long cast spools. diawas make very good casting reels, and tica have a couple that fit the bill also.

dont be fooled  with price, there are many cheeper reels out there that are perfect for surfcasting, you dont need to spend the big bucks on a reel if you can afford too !!  Most of the cost is in the drag systems and you dont need a huge drag for surfcasting at all. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 2:06am
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If your after an Alvey ... check out some aussie sites like http://www.campbellsprotackle.com ( Perth)

... the prices work out much cheaper to buy and get shipped from aussie land in some cases. How did you end up getting on Baz with that new Alvey with the 2-1 retrieve.?
here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 8:40am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by ropo101 ropo101 wrote:

SHIMANO LONG CAST BAIT RUNNER...SAY NO MORE!!!!...BIG BIG KINGIES, BIG BIG RAYS, BIG SNAPS,SHARKS, WHATEVER YOU WANT THEY WILL STOP IN THERE TRACKS!!!..Ive said my piece, ask anyone who has one and they will say the same thing..they cost a bit more but they are worth every dollar you spend.

Nice reel but IMHO they are not up to the task of big kingies as they just dont have the drag capabilities. Luckily that doesnt appear to be what hes after the reel for anyway.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kadin32815 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 2:19pm
kadin32815 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i just got a penn ssm 950 and a tac 14' surf  rod ? dnt now any thing about that brand but dose the job and the reel spooled with braid for 300 buks the reel sales for 200 and it s the best set up iv ever had
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 5:17pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by chad chad wrote:

Big bait runners are ok for fishing but as far as casting goes, they weigh far to much and out balance a rod drasticly compared to the very light reels with long cast spools.   Infact most shimano reels are etheir quite heavy or dont have long cast spools. diawas make very good casting reels, and tica have a couple that fit the bill also.

dont be fooled  with price, there are many cheeper reels out there that are perfect for surfcasting, you dont need to spend the big bucks on a reel if you can afford too !!  Most of the cost is in the drag systems and you dont need a huge drag for surfcasting at all. 

If you look at the specs the Big Baitrunner is almost identical in weight to the Daiwas. They feel heavy but they are not. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 8:44am
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

have to disagree there jk,I have a shimano longcast hookrd up to a kilwell classic,will admit I havent hooked a kingi on it but I have had very large rays on it and had no worrys ,it beat them up good,apart from that one that stuck its spine in me footEmbarrassed 
Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 8:49am
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you can save a few more penneys the shim long cast is what u go for,good luck

Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 9:57am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by snapazapa snapazapa wrote:

have to disagree there jk,I have a shimano longcast hookrd up to a kilwell classic,will admit I havent hooked a kingi on it but I have had very large rays on it and had no worrys ,it beat them up good,apart from that one that stuck its spine in me footEmbarrassed 

Kingfish and sting ray????? Confused No comparison.......

Ouch re the foot though mate. Not nice!
LedgeNZ LBG
Page  <123>