Fishing spots around auckland

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StudentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing spots around auckland
    Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 6:54pm
StudentAngler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys,

Me and a friend are getting quite into some land based fishing, we dont have rods particularly suited to this, were using 7ft Shimano Catana's, not too worried about catchn big fish, anything would be nice, would try the orakei wharf near kelly tarltons but its closed. If anyone knows some spots off the rocks which can be productive with not too far a drive would be much appreciative.

On this subject, is North Head a feasible fishing location?

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 7:39pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

try off the bridges along the drive .the one down by coastgaurd was allways good for a fish high tide seemed the best too fish
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 8:38pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

fish your feet first! so im saying fish your most local area...i used to when i was real young when i would ride to the ramp at french bay and fish off the ramp!! and caught good fish too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StudentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 9:02pm
Silver
Silver

Yeh, thats what we've been doing so far, not much luck tho. Today tried at the Yacht club near Kelly Tarltons, nearing high tide - lots of snag fish but not much else. Last weekend we gave Musick Point a whirl but no luck either.

Next time im thinking the Orakei bridge by the small roundabout on Kepa Rd I think it is, if you know where I mean.
We were gonna try the new marina near Fergusons Kayaks but saw the no fishing sign and sadly slunk off. Also found that the Orakei wharf was off limits sadly so will be on the scout for some bridges to give a whirl.

one leg, do you mean the bridge by the OBC? thought that was no fishing? Or is there a bridge within the coast guard block?

North Head any good over on the shore? Also looking for some spots to catch some land based sharks, heard Musick Point wasnt too shabby, have a kayak ready and will most likely be making the trip this weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 9:15pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have fun with that at Musik point.  One word of advice though no matter how small the kayak don't try taking it up or down those stairs... it's painful when you fall :'(

And if you're using bonito use them whole don't cut them or anything or the little peckers will devour them in no time at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 9:17pm
OnTheRocks View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

most spots around inner auckland fishs ok in summer. You sound exactally like me and my mates starting off a few years back, brings back memorys. The harbour bridge is good but cant be fished at night anymore. We fished devonport wharf a heap of times for a bit of fun and something to do on the weeknights. North head isnt bad for pannies in summer but hey who cares when the best times are! You never no and its all fun and a learning curve. 12ft rod would be good and you can get one for under 80bux
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 9:25pm
Gold
Gold

you can also try birkenhead wharf, early morning or dusk with an incoming tide is best. Kauri point is also good just down from birkenhead. A small bush walk down and fish off the rocks to the left but you would want to get there 2 hours before high tide as sometimes you are cut off. If your not sure where some of these spots are just have google map search ( :
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StudentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 9:26pm
Silver
Silver

Looking at mainly performing rock fishing, around Auckland and further afield particularly in the Coromandel and possibly Spirits Bay as ive heard great things, looking to really buy 1 rod that can double up for this, what would you guys reckon is the ideal size? I was thinking 9 or 10ft?

Is it easy to get down to the rocks at North Head, scouted it on Google Earth while back but looked a bit tough?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chimpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 9:29pm
chimpa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

for my own experiences you just have to get out your map and google earth and basicaly check out everyspot of land that comes in contact with the sea. and then it's a matter of throwing your line out and see what happens. :) don't get discourage when you catch nothing it's not the season to be catching things everywhere :D take it easy~
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StudentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 9:32pm
Silver
Silver

Yeh, realised that, its good fun just being out there and gives us something to do, catching is a bonus tho. Havnt even had a nibble yet but will give the same spots another go for sure, especially Musick Point
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 9:40pm
Gold
Gold

sorry to keep reposting but im on my phone internet. The brick wall down by the oil termanals can be good at times but you may need a far cast but we have caught fish inclose its just pretty foul. Buckland beach can also be fished eather of the beach as it drops off or off the brick wall. Musick point also has good times, we have caught some nice fish in summer. We have given up on all of these spots for the big missions now but will always have a softspot for them as they were our learning curve+spots+and+we+are+grateful+to+those+that+shared+when+we+didnt+know+where+to+fish.+In+saying+that+if+im+hanging+to+get+the+line+in+the+water+ill+take+the+wife+for+a+lazy+sunday+fish+to+buckland+beach
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 9:49pm
Gold
Gold

I you want fish and fun drive to papa aroha in coromandel. Its just under a 2hour drive and well worth it. You pay $30 each return and get dropped off on a water taxi to the island of your choice. We have never come home empty handed and you fish at your feed and there is no walking involved. Google search papa aroha camp. We have been there close to 15 times
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StudentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 10:00pm
Silver
Silver

That looks like a good adventure, will hopefully make a trip to the coromandel sometime in the Summer, however will hopefully be able to take pops boat when he trusts me.

The oil terminals you talked of before, where are they?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 10:12pm
Gold
Gold

just off franshaw st down by the fishmart in town. You cant miss them and there is a BIG old cable reel by the road. You can fish anywhere along there and if you walk to the left there is a make shift whalf/wood thing you can walk out on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingfish killer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 10:12pm
Kingfish killer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Jump nto your kayak and fish just off the yacth club . heaps of snapper in summer ! or paddle out to bean rock . Once you kayak fish you wont look back .Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AucklandUniFisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 12:05am
AucklandUniFisherman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i am also keen on starting to rock fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 7:44am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

one or two of the bridges say no fishing that dosn't stop you walking to the side of them and casting out  and the bridge i ment is by judges bay.
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 8:44am
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

im going to fish north head today for the first time...i will post some info about how it goes when i get back
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 10:46am
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah went out onto the ledge at the bottom of north head facing right into the channel of the harbour and fished the incoming yesterday. caught lots of small kahawai but thats about it. Aparently some guys have been catching some decent snappers there though. Best at high tide at dusk or night time
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockybay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 11:22am
rockybay View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

what ever you do don't give up or get down hearted  it will happen surf rods are not very dear at the ware house  just have fun you guys  a lot of the time its a matter of timing good luck and fishing rulesWink
Page  12>