Mosquito Bay

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mosquito Bay
    Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 2:07pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've just heard about this place from a work mate somewhere on the manukau but I have no idea where it is.  He hook up to a big toothie last month after throwing a couple chopped up dog fish in as burley.

So I am keen as beans to go have a gander can anyone point me in the right direction.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 2:36pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

2 things...

it's on the kaipara...   one of the bays nearest south head.
and yes there are a lot of sharks around there, i remember fishing there a couple of summers ago with the tide rising, just coming on dark... i was about to cast my surfcaster out and waded out, looked 5 metres infront of me and there's about a 5 foot shark just waddling around in the shallows.
it would be a mean night shark spot, it's a bay that is tidal, and when the tide is up half the bay is in a meter of water, at night you will see the sharks come into the bay as the tide rises.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 2:54pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Caught some big Trevally from Mosquito bay.There are rocks there so another place is the shelly beach wharf-no rocks and closer.I used to fish that through the night with dad,heaps of sharks.
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 3:18pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

think its more of a low tide spot, so you can cast out into the chanel.

once the tide turns inwards, it fairly cracks in!

bout a 10-15 minute walk from the car down decent track....no so easy coming back up though!  LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 3:19pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Levcat

Yeah we've seen plenty of them all over the show in shallow even when not fishing.  I've seen bronzies on high tide just over a meter from the shore at eastern beach at night :D

But back to the bay,  reckon I might be able to nab a hammer head in the area?  They still hang around in winter don't they
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 7:58pm
shoby View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mozy bay is right at the end of south head road. Plenty of Sharks are there in warmer months. Never caught any shark in winters tho but it does'nt mean they are not there. Good Luck!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 7:27am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Same here Zambizi seen lots over warmer water times and more over high (great whites up there ),seem to pick more hammer's up of the western bchs seen some monsters off the top end at muriwai and in close.remember getting a real close up look at a hammer at Piha that was longer than the surf boat we were in swam around the boat for a look Shocked
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 7:39am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can anyone descibe access to Mosquito Bay?
I know this has been done before but i got quite conflicting messages.
ok from end of south head road - south head rd appears to continue on into a track and goes on for some distance (according to google)
Is the access thru private land - who do u get permission from? Is it where the stream enters a bay where the main road ends?
Mosquito bay not marked on google which is most unhelpful.
Would like to fish the low and cast into the channel - is the sand/mud there reasonably firm. At Tapora is quite hard packed where you fish.
Is it worth it?
PM me if you would rather not divulge your secrets to all and sundry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 7:49am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

AT the end of the road is a gate and parking area there is a tarseal track down hill to bch carnt miss it .it is a sand bch firm ,when casting in to channel  remember to retreve fast or will lose gear to channel edge , fast moving water so sand grap works best .IS it worth it go and find out lovely spot with a nice bch ,and a good range of fish .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 10:59am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thank you Barry - interested re retrieve fast or lose gear. Horse mussels? Are there rocks on channel edege or are you meaning when fishing from the rocks on either side of bay?
A great help thank you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 11:10am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When you get to the bottom of the track go left. Walk along until you pass the two large round (ish) boulders. Best on the out going two hours after full until it pushes you off on the incoming. Low is best as you get into the channel.

Have caught snapper, gurnard and KY here, along with sharks and rays. Best rig is a spoon sinker have that running so its on the bait when you cast. You will lose less gear with this rig as you are casting into a foul area at low tide.
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 12:37pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

re to fishing in to channel off bch channel deepens fast often get cut off on that edge from old shells etc the further you walk left as BP says the more foul (rocks) it is best to try and fish over slack tide for it run's fast ,there is fishing to the right of bch as well  but also very foul.just to the left of stream seems to work well ,beware trying to walk at high tide very soft sand at the top of the bch,and bugger all bch left. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 12:41pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On a side note Redfinger have you fished  Snapper pass up Tapora way ,been years seen there ,and wondered how it's going .??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 1:37pm
shoby View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very well covered guysThumbs Up For the person who have never been there gets confused when they reach at the end of south head road. It is a kind of T junction. Remeber to bear right from T and you should be fine. That will take you right to the top of the hill where road ends and you will find a track going down. Follow the directions for fishing as above and you should be sweetas. I have caught, kingi, snappa, gurnard sharks and KYs from there. That spot is definitely worth a try.
Good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 1:46pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

snapper pass? - went to Tapora last saturday but that was at the southern end of the sand dune island ou ton the flats fishing back towards south head in the channel.
Is that where you mean one leg?
You mainly fish the beach or rocks at Mosquito one leg?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 1:58pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks everyone this place it definately getting look see soon and in summer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 2:11pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think the 30-40 knot southeast will keep me away this weekend!
But another option for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 10:29pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah I'm not heading there this weekend maybe the next one if the weather plays nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 12:10pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

snapper pass? - went to Tapora last saturday but that was at the southern end of the sand dune island ou ton the flats fishing back towards south head in the channel.
Is that where you mean one leg?
You mainly fish the beach or rocks at Mosquito one leg?

Snapper pass is at the N/Eastern end of Tapora. I fish the bch at mossie bay if looking too fish the rocks there i go in another wayWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 12:19pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No One leg - don't know about that spot.
Where is access there - noted on google and my gps/chartplotter how close channel comes in that side. Best tides etc?
You can pm me if you would rather - guessing 4wd access that way too.
Page  12>