game reels

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nic #### Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: game reels
    Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 10:37pm
Nic #### View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi all,

I know its winter but im trying to get ready for the game season coming 'soon' LOL and would love your advice on a good game reel for marlin+large sharks. I apologise in advanced if this has been discussed. Anyway this would be my first proper game reel and ill have a budget of about $600.. I was thinking about a tld 50 2 speed as i have its younger brothers (tld 25) and they are mint reels. Some people have told me that they might not be grunty enough for marlin tho? I will be mainly livebaiting too. Im looking for something that will last alsoand shimano do good warrantys.. What you think?

Cheers
The harder you train, the luckier you get!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 10:50pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

who ever told you this mate slap the **** out of them

Some people have told me that they might not be grunty enough for marlin tho?

have caught many a marlin on them, they had a problem with the reel seat parting from the reel, however it has not happened to me so i cant comment on that, but yeah if this is your budget then dont hesitate there is a nice one on TM at the moment for $450 with the rod.

Also have you seen the penn deals on TM as well plenty of choice at this time of year

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 5:53am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Totally agree with BA's comments, if you are in no hurry to get a reel then keep an eye out on trademe over the next few months you should get a bargain. Also don't be  afraid to buy a quality second hand reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 9:00am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I started out a couple of years back with 2nd hand Penn International 50's which I brought of Trademe and then had them serviced straight away by Swordfish Steve. There are pleanty around and will fit your budget easy.

Once I had a better idea on what I was doing I then took the obsessive plunge and splashed out on new Tiagras and Custom standup rods LOL and have never looked back Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 9:08am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup Penn international second hand you will pick up within your budget. may not even need to be serviced and is the reel of choice for myself.

The Tld 50 is a good reel and reasonably robust. they have had the odd problem with the frames breaking on them but i think it may well be an older model that has had the issue. google is your friend if you need to research any issue and resolutions on the TLD series as theres plenty of info out there all ready on them. you may also find that the issue with the reel seat paring with the body has been more lack of service issues and not cleaning the salt and corrosion away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 9:37am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by WETSPOT WETSPOT wrote:

I started out a couple of years back with 2nd hand Penn International 50's which I brought of Trademe and then had them serviced straight away by Swordfish Steve. There are pleanty around and will fit your budget easy.

Once I had a better idea on what I was doing I then took the obsessive plunge and splashed out on new Tiagras and Custom standup rods LOL and have never looked back Cry

Good idea to get those 2nd hand Penns serviced on purchase. If it was me and I could afford it I'd even get the drags blue printed to avoid sticky issues with them. Swordfish steve is the man when it comes to this. I like knowing my gear won't let me down. When you consider these "extras" after the purchase price, IMHO you'd be better off with the TLD.
For the money you've mentioned you could pick up a brand new TLD with a bit of a hunt around. I know what I'd be buyingWink
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 9:58am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's one, brand new 10yr warranty etc

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing/Salt-water/Boat-reels/auction-227905207.htm
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nic #### Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 11:01am
Nic #### View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

cheers for that.. if i was to buy a second hand reel, does the warranty still apply for me or is it just for the first owner?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 12:42pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Probably not, but most of the time what goes wrong with the top reels is either neglect or plain wear and tear neither being covered by the warranty.

I just ended up with a couple of Penns brought off Trademe to service, an International II 80ST and a 30TW and both needed parts.  The 80 needed new drag washers (saltwater ingress causing corrosion) and a couple of screws, and I trued the drag plate on a lathe total cost including a pot of cal's drag grease $290.  The 30 was in better nick in terms of wear and tear, but was suffering from quite bad corrosion in the drive department.  Took longer to clean up but it's working mint now and only had to replace some screws, total cost about $10.

I did the work on them myself which may or may not be an option for you but that gives you a bit of an idea for parts prices.  Labour costs could be about $50 an hour but that very much depends on what needs to be done and where you go.  http://www.alantani.com is good for advice and rebuild guides...

The older Penns had chrome-plated brass screws, they are a pain in the arse.  Use grease or oil in the screw holes if you take them out...  The Tiagra's have a fixed reel seat that can't be removed for cleaning (or the versions I used did, don't know if that's been sorted) - have a good look at the Shimano's in this area because it's a real corrosion failure point.

I've got four Tica 80WTS's now, seem to be bloody solid reels for the money and performance wise I can't tell the difference versus Shimano.  They apparently are made from the factory that used to produce the earlier Shimano gold reels, and share a lot of the same features.  The Tica rods that they ship with are crap however.  I'll be in the market for some new chair rods shortly!

Everyone knocks the cheaper Goldies as 'disprins', dissolving in seawater but any aluminium reel that isn't cared for will dissolve the same as any other.  Some of the worst are the second hand Penns, seems to be people that owned them figured that they're a Penn and they go for years without washing and servicing...

Hope that is useful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 3:45pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On a trip to Fiji some years ago I had an oops. The TLD 50 shat itself but I got the 150 lb Yellow fin to the boat after the skipper hand lined the 80 lb braid in for the last 1/2 hour only to miss with the gaff and i lost the fish.  My thoughts are buy the best you can but by solid ali reels, as has been said you can get good deals on T/M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 4:28pm
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Nic. I have a TLD50 that has had not too much use that would be keen to swap for jigging reel of some description.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 4:40pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The  new TLD50's Have been strengthened at the base.
I have 2 and they double as Puka reels.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 6:44pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

try this on t/m   227101065  

GAME ROD AND REEL - PENN

Good value for what it is

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 7:15pm
FarNorfOwnage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

seen a TLD 50 smash its real seat mounts exactly the same as in your pic wanabe except was on about a 350kg mako at the Middlesex Bank LOL
out there doing it or STFU
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nic #### Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 7:23pm
Nic #### View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey ancient mariner, i havent got a jigging outfit at this stage sorry, it was either going to be that or a game reel. haha anyway cheers everyone for the advise.. the more opinons the merrier

what about those okuma titus reels?? there about $400. or are they crap?? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 10:53pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have a look on the Alan Tani website, he gets up close and personal with them so you can see the faults and flaws.

Okuma are good value for money, 'nuff said really.   Or if you want to expand on it will they do the job? Yes.  Will you have to look after them carefully? Yes again.  Are they as nice and do they have the kudos of the better names? Probably not.  Will they last? Hey I dunno, but if you buy them brand new you can take the time to look after them and keep the bearings and internals in top nick which will help them last.  I would open them up and give them a real good service before you use them though to be on the safe side...

But, if you can buy a brand new Okuma versus a 2nd hand big name then they are probably worth while looking at.  The no-name Aussie stuff probably doesn't rate a mention - they can be ok or they can be utter crap no rhyme and reason from what I hear!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 11:08pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is a good read chaps, what about the Shimano Beastmaster as we don't seem to hear anything about them, and from memory they were like a sort of two speed version of a big black graphic version of TLD perhaps...

So anyone one know if they are still current or are any good??
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 10:27am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seem to be well liked be the people that have them, but as I understand it they are starting to have to be a bit 'creative' on supplying parts.  Not a lot of original stuff available, the reels were a bit ahead of their time - possibly not as higher take up as the later versions.

Definately a lot more of the Penn goldies from that era around, Diawa sealines etc. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 10:51am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

really when you think about it, any reel will do the job, just because it has not got Penn or Shimano etc on the box dont mean a hell of a lot.

I know of people who have had problems with shimano but when you go and have a look for them the state of the reel tells you they dont look after there gear, what? do you think a rod and reel will wash and clean itself

there was a boat in toots a number of years back, the guy caught more marlin than most was a small tini called fyran ice, well all his reels were the silstar 50's, and they were mint, after each trip the guy treated them as if they were out of the box, when they caught a fish he took them apart and gave them the once over.

Now Penn yes there is good and bad, tell me what was wrong with the senator range?

oh thats right they are not gold and go bling bling when your mates look at your gear, these reels are for the term bullet proof, my advice when you buy them if you buy them is to get super smoothie drag washers put in them, more fish have been caught on the senator range of reels over the years than any other reel, yes they have been around a long long time and are still made today, have you asked your self why this is simple ay bullet proof and everyone can afford one.

dont be fooled by having to have the bling on the boat, I do have all shimano its my choice but then it took me many many years and coupious ammonts of money to get there, and I look back now and hell the reels i replaced were the Penn senator 9/0, why well I had to keep up with the jones.

you buy what you can to satisfy your needs, if you want to buy it right so to speak 1st up them spend 10k cause you will need it or go buy 4 senators new at $399, hell for for the price of one of those gold reels.....

then there is the talk of the failing TLD 50, yip but then lets look at this too, have you ever sat down and watched a guy playing a fish, fighting with rod and reel twisting it in the gimble and trying to wind the handle straight while the reel is on its side.....do you get the picture?

the old beast master is still around today, shimano brought a out the range many many years back there was a heap of them, then the bean counters looked at the biggest seeling reels they had from the beast master range, now look at the new Tiagras and TLD's all designed aroung the top selling range of the beast master.

buy what you can afford, treat em nice and love them like they was your kids and the reel will last you for ever in a day and when you can afford the big splurge then go do it.

do any of you believe that a marlin or any fish really knows what gear its being caught on......

forget about being a sheep in a flock mate I did many years ago and never looked back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 11:06am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well said Steve, sensible and un-biased opinions based upon fact and experience and not being a fashion bunnyThumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Page  123 5>