Daiwa D-Wave combo?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daiwa D-Wave combo?
    Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 8:33pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys,

as you know, need a new rod as my cheapo warehouse one is gonna break...decided against splashing out this time on Rocky II etc.

theres a combo at rebel for $100 for the daiwa D Wave rod/reel

this its this one:

any comments?

cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 8:59pm
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How much better is this going to be than your current setup?
Also are you just going to use mostly from the rocks because if not its going to be a little short for chucking from the beach.
You said you want to replace your rod so why not spend all you can afford on a rod rather than doing the set?
Personally if you want something more robust id go looking for a used rod on Trademe and place an advert on here with your price range!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 9:03pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

as i said, mostly use my cheap warehouse rod (hmmm)...and all rock fishing

matched with either ancient Abu 7500 (?) reel, or a smaller Daiwa D Shock (too small for rocks really).

thats the thing....im running out of reasonable sized, semi decent reels.

the abu ones were bought 2nd hand 8-10 years ago!  need a very good serv at least!

so, $100 for rod....and semi decent (?) reel....seems reasonable?

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 9:14pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

if you are after bnew/good gear stuff... have a working budget of $300 or so and scout around tackle shops and ask if you can have a 6500b combo deal. 
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 9:28pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

the mighty 6500 eh Sleepy

Pretty basic setup that one you've linked too. Probably better than what you have been fishing with though but not ideal for beach fishing but prob ok as a light-medium setup off the rocks.

Dont be afraid to have a good look around for something a bit different. Trademe is great for a good deal so keep your eyes posted on there for a bargain or two.

Would also recommend trying to put away a few more $$ though. Can get a nice beastmaster 10ft 10-15kg rod for $100 brand new so even cheaper 2nd hand and nothing wrong with 2nd hand rods (usually). Not a big fan of buying 2nd hand reels unless you really know what you are getting but again some good deals to be had.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 9:31pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers guys....just dont have much $'s at the mo...and the creaking my rod makes is starting to annoy me.

thinking if I buy this set up....wait a 5-6 months, could probs pick up a 6500 or some better reel.

use that on the rod linked for another few months till I could afford a better rod.

keeping the diawa reel as a spare.....  Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 9:40pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cal, thats a US site right? Will be interesting how much shipping would be on that and whether any damage would be covered as well - also what exchange rate you might get (just food for thought).
I have one of those 10ft Beastmaster rods and really enjoy using it around the rocks - its light, but casts well Thumbs%20Up.
I like Daiwa stuff, but think that reel looks pretty 'low end' myself.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 9:47pm
Platinum
Platinum

Think he said Rebel doing that set Doubs...just using that link for the info.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 9:52pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My bad...so he did Embarrassed. Need to read the post better next time LOL
On that note, ignore my first paragraph, but the rest can stay....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 10:04pm
Big H View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you're fast you can pick a penn set with an 850ss? At a  good price from rebel when they have a sale on. But you've gotta be there early doors they only seem  to leave one set out on sale day. Cheapest i've seen was around the $160 mark. I've use a big bond reel and surf rod off trade me when I dont wanna ding the good gear up. Cost around $120 all up. The reels still goin well after 18  months of thrashing including some large stingrays. So I figure it's been good value when the inevitable happens...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 10:20pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Doubie Doubie wrote:

My bad...so he did Embarrassed. Need to read the post better next time LOL
On that note, ignore my first paragraph, but the rest can stay....

Almost asked the same question myself
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 10:48pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

join the rebel mailing list, save your cash, figure out what you want and if they have and then when they have a 20+% discount off fishing gear swoop in and score a deal. That's what I did
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.