Nor West Reef again

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nor West Reef again
    Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 3:00pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

My son Patrick and I headed out to Nor West Reef at daybreak this morning. Were going to head for Horn but I thought it might be overrun with fishos practising for the Furuno. Not another boat to be seen at Nor West.

Set up the drogue for our first drift, and within minutes Patrick had a nice 4-5 pounder on board. Then I got a 5lber.  A few small fish came up and went  back when all of a sudden I heard the drag on his calcutta 400 singing. I looked around and the 6kg outfit was bent double. It stayed that way for about 10 minutes, with Patrick gaining a little line only to lose heaps more. When I suggested he might be outgunned he looked horror struck so I shut up and told him to just ease the fish to the surface and if it took drag, let it.

After about 15 minutes a biiiiiiig snapper surfaced about 10m behind the boat. Weighed at just under 18lb on the Matakana gas station's LPG scales.

I got another about 12lb, but with that much fish on the boat (about 5 in total) we decided enough was enough so headed home about 10am.

Its our mates "No Rules" fishing contest today and I have one very happy son who is at least on the board and running, if not the winner. We shall see at weigh in later today.

I'll post a  couple of pics as soon as I can prise the digital camera from him (he's droolin' and has nearly worn out the chilly bin lid opening it for a look at his fish)

What a fantastic feeling to see your son catch his first big fish. I think I'm happier than I would be if I'd caught it myself.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 3:06pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SIMPLY AWESOME!

Well done fellas.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 3:21pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 3:27pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You dont muck about do you Bender. What a buzz for you and your young fulla!!! Hope you guys have plenty more days like that.

Barrie will be scratching his carpet snake at the nice snapper coming in on a Calcutta, now what brand of reel is that one?

Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HOOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 3:31pm
HOOK View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

awesome stuff there bender and patrick, thats a real beauty!!!great fight on the calcutta 400 i bet.... i'll pass the news on to dad....we will be ready to give it a good nudge in a few weeks.
Cheers

Marc

Rules of fishing:
Bait your own hook,clean your own fish, tell your own lies!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 6:20pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Patrick, a fisherman forever now.
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 8:24pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Patrick was the winner of our no rules competition - far and away the best fish.

He's now talking about a 20 pounder at the Mokes for the Furuno.

"You can pay for the gas"was my comment.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 8:32pm
tonto View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

well done chaps, good to see father and son hanging out together, congrats to both
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 8:34pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome Bender, look at the look on his face mate, it's worth a million dollars.

It's a fish he will remember for the rest of his life.

Wefaknis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 8:44pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

top effort that - sharp

No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 8:54pm
Toad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes, effing primo catch. Big snapper on light line.

Did he buy the Calcutta? I've heard that sharing tackle out among family is a way of making yr collection look more reasonable and might allow you to have several reels that pretty much do the same job.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 9:12pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Toad - The Calcutta was originally mine, but you know how families grab your best stuff for themselves.

I use a Penn 525 mag. Three years old and still on its original drag washers, which are like silk.

While the Calcutta is a lovely reel, I found it to be far too high maintenance to use for the amount of fishing I do. You gotta replace the drag washers every five minutes. Fine for the kids who don't come on every trip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 9:42pm
Woody View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Patrick.

Great photos. Huuuuggggeeee Smile on the lads face while he is playing the fish.

Interesting info on the Calcutta requiring lots of maintenance.

Woody.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 8:54am
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Patrick,

Top fish. Good to see a plan come together Bender. Good morning when the boys can head out, nail it and be back before the CEO has time to really notice you've gone. Then top the comp with the "Green Machine" fishing it as well.

F.T.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 9:37am
Barrell View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice Fish,very nice fish,well done jnr!!!!

Barrell

Give a man a fish,& he will eat for a day.Teach him how to fish,& he will sit in a boat & drink beer all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 10:08am
Kahawai View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good one Bender and Patrick.    Did he fillet it himself  or Dad do the hard work?

Cheers Kahawai

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter.Sea. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 10:14am
Peter.Sea. View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great catch guy's it doesn't get much more rewarding than that ah bender.

Cheers, P.C. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 10:56am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Bender.

Now stay away from there. Well at least until I been out there and raped the place

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 12:18pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I told you guys the swine was in cohoots with Mr Watson, I bet he gave the Bulldog players the same idea!!!!
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 12:21pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you are right Squid.....

Bush "dodgy mofo" Pig is what his "friends" on the "inside" know him as anyway!!
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Page  12>