Lake Tarawera

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sikahill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Tarawera
    Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 8:45pm
Sikahill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

I will be taking the family to Tarawera over Easter. Anyone got any tips? Thought I would just jig a few spots and downrig around the lake. Maybe a bit of flyfishing at red beach with bugs.
Also will have rifle on board for any stags cheeky enough to be roaring within earshot of the lake on the nice still mornings.

I have been tying up some superb epoxy headed wet flies such as grey ghosts, olive rabbits, green orbits etc with ultraviolet blue flash. Am I on the right track?

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 12:24pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like exactly what I would do except for the downrigging.

Other option would be to set the drogue and cast out woolly buggars on fast sinking lines near the drop offs.
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 12:46pm
Mudfisherman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Make sure that you have a range of colours for your jigging and down-rigging flies.  Black marabou, jack sprat and especially ginger mick patterns as they have all worked well over the summer at various times.  As mentioned before casting from an anchored boat over a drop-off is a great option, especially near a stream mouth. Jigging the drop-off on the left (Kariri Point?) as you come out of Boatshed Bay is a good option as well as fish stack up there as they get ready to move into the Landing Bay to get to the Te Wairoa Stream. Anchoring on or drifting from the 'flat' into deeper water works a treat here quite often.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mulletguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 10:50pm
mulletguts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mudfisherman thats sounds like a plan mitt try that area as well ,whats the fly fishing in Rungiuru bay like in April from an anchored boat ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 4:20pm
Mudfisherman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

April 1 is the official start of the Lake Tarawera trapping program so that will tell you that the expectation of returning trout to the Te Wairoa Stream is very high.  Though numbers can be low there is always the chance that there will be a good run sometime early in the month.  As trout are released at Stoney Point and Boatshed Bay there will be fish moving in and picking up the last big feed or two in that general area and that includes Rangiuru Bay.  If there is a northerly wind at any time during April, Rangiuru Bay should fish very well, though other wind directions will be good for fishing as well.  Bugging and boobying both can work very well during April as trout are usually keyed into fish eggs as a food source.