Rotorua Lakes Daily Update

Page  123 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotorua Lakes Daily Update
    Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 12:34pm
Mudfisherman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Lake Rotorua's surface water temperature rose 0.22 off a degrees between 5am and 11am this morning to 21.66 degrees C.Algae levels have only dropped 1 point to 4.1 during the same period. The wind has swung from WNW at 14.0kph a few degrees to the North at 15.12kph. Barometric pressure has risen just under three points to 1018.1hPa and humidity has dropped from 82% to 64%. There are a few clouds hanging around though it doesn't look like rain any time soon. The UV Index is very high at 10 and we are expecting a high of 25 degrees C by 3pm this afternoon. As at 12.25pm it 18 degrees C and the wind has swung back to the South West at 7kph. The outlook for tomorrow is cloudy at times. The first quarter of this months moon is due 04/03/09 at 8.47 and the Autumn Equinox is due on 21/03/09.

Lake Rotoiti's surface water temperature rose 0.23 of a degree between 5am and 11pm. The thermocline is stable at 14 to 16 metres.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HareNcopA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 1:37pm
HareNcopA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the updates Bert

Am thinking of a sneaky evening in Rotorua this weekend

From your former #1 student Kane
Behind every good fisherman is a lonely woman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 1:51pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm thinking, thanks to Bert's updates, that a Rotorua night miss may be on the cards for me too soon.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 6:30pm
Fish Mad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rotoiti fished quite well yesterday.
Fish were LPs.
A mix of 2 and 3 year olds.
Ranged from 3lbs up to 5lb 12oz.
Managed 8 in half an hour.(bite time was about 3 quarters of an hour)
~~REMEMBER;FISH HAVE TAILS AND THEY USE THEM?~~
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 9:56pm
kiwitroutbum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm hoping to get up that way in July
What does a poor Otago boy do to catch a fish? I take it they don't rise to size 18 emergers?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 10:12pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Usually on 20's by then...
PM sent...
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 7:52am
Gold
Gold

PM replied
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 12:40pm
Silver
Silver

You will need to leave your finesse behind in Otago and put on flies between sizes 4 and 10 lol. Mostly flies such as craigs night time, black phantom and any of the lumo flies for night fishing.  Egg patterns in 12 and 14s are worth trying during the day to sighted fish.  Drop me a line just before you leave and I will let you know what flies are working and perhaps work out a stratagie for metting up here so that I can show you a few places to fish and tricks to try
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 9:14pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers
I'll be keen to have a crack and know of just the chap to show me round
So you can sight your fish from shore?
Is it worth bringing a stripping basket?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 7:05am
Silver
Silver

There should be some sight fishing to lake edge spawning fish available at during July, though June is probably a better month for doing that. Most of our fishing up this way is 'blind' fishing though you can cast to fry bashing fish at spots such as Ruato Bay on Lake Rotoiti right through to October/November.  A stripping basket is always a good idea (and is easy enough to pack) as there are several stream mouths to fish off including the entrance (outside the closed area) to the Ohau Channel which connects Lakes Rotorua and Rotoiti.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nandor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 7:05pm
Nandor View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi mate.

I am just after carp fishing. Any suggestion where do I need to go to catch one?

Which is the closest carp lake from auckland?

Thank you

Nandor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 8:07pm
Silver
Silver

There are plnty of places around Auckland where you can catch Carp, though I don't know the specific spots.  There are three coarse fishing clubs in Auckland that have ponds etc that they guard jealously.  Auckland/Waikato Fish and Game, based in Hamilton, will have the addresses of the clubs. This time of the year is a challenge to catch carp as they tend to go off their food as the water temperature drops but the Whangamarino Wetlands is one spot that can produce Koi and goldfish.  Lake Hakanoa in Huntly can also produce various coarse fish including Koi 5kg plus in size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 10:35pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished Okataina beach this evening from 6 - 8.30pm.

Got 2 rainbows 5lb 2 oz & 6lb 10oz so very happy for my second time out trying this method.

Fly was a green lumo doll, not sure what size.

Cheers
Ted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EDyaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 2:17am
EDyaka View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Spent last week staying at the Waiteti motor camp and fishing the stream and mouth. Plenty of fish visable in the stream but difficult to get to take - I managed an average of over 4 fish per day most of which were in prety good condition and missed enough takes to keep it interesting in between.
Even managed a couple of nice Browns during the day.
Will be back in July so cant wait to get some lake edge fishing in - should be much better then I'm told.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ocean Adikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 8:02am
Ocean Adikt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys I'm coming down to Rotorua to pick up a motorbike on sunday and was wondering where would be the best place to try a bit of spinning? is it aloud? I do have a boat I could bring.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 8:33am
Silver
Silver

Hi Dolly, Apart from a 200 metre radius of the Ohau Channel and the Awahou Stream mouth you can spin anywhere on Lake Rotorua.  You can also spin at Lake Okataina.  The other small lakes are also open to spinning (Okaro, Rerewhakaaitu, Okareka).  Most of Lake Rotoiti and Tarawera are closed to spinning as well.
Bert
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ocean Adikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 8:50am
Ocean Adikt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok mate that's great - thanks for that. Will post report on how I get on. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfishingsfinest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 11:19am
flyfishingsfinest View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all,

After fishing rotorua through summer and having some good success im keen as to get down lots during winter. I normally fish taupo, but for day trips etc going to rotorua normally means another hour or two on the water.

I was curious about what people think is the best winter fishing available down there, as i havent fished there over winter before. I would like to concentrate on the rivers, like ngongataha, waiteti etc. But ive heard stories about lake edge stuff etc and was wondering what its all about, where the favourite haunts are etc.

Any info would be appricated, im really excited about this winters fishing haha.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook up! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:48pm
Hook up! View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Brought a license and had a crack at the Waiteti river mouth and up the stream a little with no luck. Water was very dirty so decided to head to the utuhina stream in towards town where I have seen trout before but had no rod - still NO LUCK, didn't even see any. But that's fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 6:26pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

mudfisherman, rotoiti and tarawera are NOT closed for spinning.

the only restriction is around some stream mouths.

check with local retailers or ring fish and game.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Page  123 8>