CANTERBURY KAYAK FISHING CLUB

Page  <1 127128129130131 271>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 10:15pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I probably can not make it tuesday. For reference purposes, I was probably 2-3km out from Sharks tooth. 

If the forecast is perfect, I might be able to get down there. 

edit: Just been studying Marine Charts, its only about 5km from South Bay out to the where the shelf drops away... That can be paddled. 

Although, knowing where to fish is the problem....  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:35am
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done Thomas! Can't say I've ever caught or eaten Bream, but it sounds tasty. Sat & Sun were just beautiful days, it's a pitty we couldn't get together for Shaggers. A lot of dirty water in Kaikoura on the nth side, but still fishable. 

Ollie - Those commercial cray pots were gone so I couldn't find my 2 cod holes, decided I'll have to get that sounder. Flip side was it forced me to change species, so I had plenty of fun catching Gurnard. 2 were 50cm and the smallest 40cm. Bob enjoyed himself, just needs to stay away from eating MacDonalds in future.
How do you put pictures on here?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 11:24am
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 12:03pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice! well done all of you, 
thomas, how big are those bream and did they fight well, what size lure and how deep? can you catch me some?LOL 
grant and bob, great result with the gurnard, good eating those and good size too , were you anchored over sand or did you drift?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 12:14pm
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Was anchored to begin with and then drifted. We were about 1.5 k out. Hardly any current running so it was a nice slow drift. I put the pots out Saturday night, but I had struggled for bait because I was only catching undersized cod that afternoon. Ended up targeting the reef to catch some Wrasse for bait. I don't think it's good bait for pots somehow, well that's my excuse anyway. I have plenty of pot bait now though, so need to go back!
Those pots are really good to manage off the Yak mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 12:37pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gollyfish gollyfish wrote:

nice! well done all of you, 
thomas, how big are those bream and did they fight well, what size lure and how deep? can you catch me some?LOL 
grant and bob, great result with the gurnard, good eating those and good size too , were you anchored over sand or did you drift?

Biggest was about a kg, so a bit like Pan size Snapper but the fillet might be smaller.  I was catching them on a very large jig, but they were so aggressive I am certain they would grab anything.  Can not really comment on their fighting ability because I was using 50lb gear...

I was probably fishing in 60m of water, but the bream mostly hit near the start of the drop. So I guess they were feeding in 5-15m. 

They were very easy to catch, you probably could have caught enough to sink your kayak Golly. No limit on them afaik. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 12:44pm
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ollie - We should shoot off somewhere late afternoon to put the pots out, have a night fish, camp up, grab the pots early am and head back home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob.f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 4:17pm
Bob.f View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Marine weather is good for Saturday, might have to go back and try again, minus the ships anchor Confused and avoiding midnight feast a McPoison.

Edit:  Having been back to Marine weather; might have to go up for the weekend?  Find a campsite etc?

And today off work, mostly better, just can't drink coffee........Dead
Si ego cado is est non terminus
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 4:57pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If the forecast is good I would probably try again next weekend :)

But, the weekend is to far away for a accurate forecast. 

Would anyone be interested in a trip to Stewart Island? Its a very long way to travel but the fishing is meant to be good.    Ferry costs approx $70 per passenger with a additional $25 per Kayak.  Takes about  8 hours to drive from Christchurch to Bluff, then a bit over a hour on the ferry... Plus waiting around... So a days travel in each direction. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob.f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 5:25pm
Bob.f View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've been thinking about Stewart Island.  Might be next summer though.  Long weekend whichever/whenever.

Be positive:  Weather will be great next weekend, flat, calm seas, gentle breeze.......
Si ego cado is est non terminus
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:17pm
flyyak View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

good work guys,havent been out on my 'yak for ages but got a trip on a charter yesterday and got cod limit plus perch and a huge cray.went to bushett shoals ,primo fishing there but did have to shift a few times to get away from coutas and sharks! we caught a huge moray eel and saw about a 2.5 - 3m metre seven giller!Angry  Nice bream thomas, our skip said they are beautifull as sushimi. I've still got one in freeza I must try!Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 7:12pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried mine tonight, its a very nice eating fish.  But do not think it makes my top 5, but easy top 10. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nuclear chickin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 7:23pm
nuclear chickin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rays bream is right up there on my taste list Big smile. not a big fillet but tastieeee, yummmmm
Well done thomasClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fear no fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 7:40pm
fear no fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Al, how was the Naki?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:20pm
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'd be in 4 Stewart Island but you'd want to sacrifice a week and go at the drop of a hat. Bit like the Haast really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 11:34pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

don't think i'd be too bothered with stewart island myself, looong way to drive for some blu cod avarage trumpeter and the off chance of a school groper. im sure the scenery is nice, but the sea is ruff as, and tides strong and the shark run BIG and its a bloody long drive with a $100 boat trip at the end..........
sorry thomas but  i'd say there are better oprtunties closer to home overall.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 11:42pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i did my sixth shift today so i may well have time for a fish this week!Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:11am
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The weather's going to be ****e now!Cry You might as well keep working and let us do the fishingLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:21am
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

no your wrong! the weathers going to be fine ish! i might go for a paddle tomorrow alvo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:29am
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good on ya! Positive thinking or wishful thinking?
Page  <1 127128129130131 271>