Wellington Vis / water conditions

Page  123 1049>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tall stories Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wellington Vis / water conditions
    Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 12:14pm
Tall stories View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was thinking about comming down for a dive this weekend (im In Palmy) whats the water like on  the south coast or would it be better to head around Makara ways?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 12:49pm
MattB2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

On saturday it is a southerly so you would definately be better off heading makara ways - Vis should be pretty good by then.  South coast is pretty bad at the moment.  On sunday its a strong northerly so probably wont be too good anywhere really - as the southerly on saturday would have stuffed the southcoast!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tall stories Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 2:34pm
Silver
Silver

is there still that moa point overflow issue, was thinking of coming down saturday early as the southerly isent strong till the evening. has anyone been out over the week was the vis bad?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 7:40pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

there was still people surfing yesterday.its not to good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hunt&gather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 9:33pm
hunt&gather View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was out on Tuesday and water was good on west although all the rain meant green/brown stuff was oozing out of the estuary at mana. It looked to be tracking north so Makara and surrounds should be good - viz would have been 7m on Tuesday so should have improved further as long as that crappy stuff has stayed away. South coast will be a waste of time. I'm gonna try head out after work tomorrow so I'll post a report - got a couple of crays that I have a date with LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tall stories Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009 at 12:09pm
Silver
Silver

cheers mate and yeah keep me posted on what your dive was like im gonna do a early morning mission from palmy and try to get a dive in before the swell picks up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009 at 9:08pm
tuco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went for a dive today from about 1030 - 2pm a few bays from the quarry on the south coast.

Vis was ok mostly, at about 3-4m but pretty hazy. No wind, but the swell did start getting up to 1m+ at irregular intervals. Not many fish about for me just a niiiice butter which was stolen, so in the end just a couple of crays and some decent paua.

Also look out for that cheeky thieving seal with a fat butter fish in it's mouth, the greedy mongrel nearly choked on it haha!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hunt&gather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009 at 9:30pm
Platinum
Platinum

Went out late this arvo north of makara on a shorey. Viz was about 6m a bit hazy but nice diving. Plenty of butters and moki around and big schools of mackeral & kahawai buzzing about. Managed a cuple of crays, a butter and paua for a good feed. South was already here but not an issue. Thumbs%20Up Waiting for my mate to email a couple of pics to put up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Depth Charge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009 at 10:24pm
Depth Charge View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yep Makara is hazy from the amount of Salps and Jellyfish! Drunken Moki swimming sideways. Schools of baby Terakihi and Kahawai to be seen. 2 big Blue Cod and 2 legal Terakihi to be taken. Last dive with Drexciya for a while.....looking forward to exploring a bit of the AK coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 6:37am
tuco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cool, sounds fishy! Heading to Makra shortly (this morning) with DK. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tall stories Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 8:04am
Silver
Silver

well got out to Makara yesterday vis was good just alot of small jelly fish. plenty of butters and moki which made for a heavy pack for the walk back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 11:01am
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hows it all, what is the diving like out around that road that goes past Lyall bay? Looks OK, would I be wasteing my time for a bug or 2? I live in Porirua, just moved down here from AKL. Craving a cray and some Paua! If anyone wants to head out on weekends I may have time so feel free to drop me a txt. Cheers, Thomas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hunt&gather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 1:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

You need to go round a bit towards devils gate for consistent bugs although they are spread over the south. I find west coast is more productive for me with crays but guess you just gotta get in and snoop around.
This is Fridays mission around Makara - not too greedy just a nice seafood platter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 8:25am
jonnyc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice crays mate,
What technique did you employ... the smash & grab or the subterfuge?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hunt&gather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 4:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

Smash and grab bro - first girl I grabbed was straight in to the back of the cave up to my ankles. The second was bit more cunning -  flushed her down the crack, to the backdoor that I had found (finding it out it pays to have a good snoop around before rushing in guns blazing) so she had nowhere to go with her tail facing me. Went out with Pete Lamb last Tuesday too and scored some nice Puka and snapper so the freezer is choka Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 10:32pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Vis Monday evening on the south coast/ red rocks (That road just gets more and more knarley) was an estimated 5-7m. A small swell and wind chop combined with mild salps and jellie babies as well as fading light limited the vis a bit.  It was reasonably fishy with plenty of butterfish, scarlet and banded wrasse, spottys and some small blue moki & cod. Lots of small crayfish to be seen with 4 keepers taken for the pot. Paua looked thin on the ground, some larger models under rocks after 5-6m.

A lovely orange sun set while driving around the coast.

Some of the fish from Saturday north Makara.

First fish for the day was the Mak. Not sure how it stayed on the float line for the whole dive.

Blue Moki

Add Golden syrup and bourbon...

What did it taste like? You'll have to guess.

Dinner from the garden and the sea.
Butterfish baked in tomato, herbs and feta. Parmesan crusted zucchini, silver beet and the last of the beans.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hunt&gather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 5:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

Your posts always make me hungry Dekay - gonna have to go for god damn dive tomorrow now LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 9:07pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi there,
Have been in for a 'walk in the park' around Rat Island this evening. Vis has been pretty good on the weedline (>7m). Have seen a lot of the family – Moki, Butties, Cods and a whopping Paua (22cm!). Good fun!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 9:15pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

220mm paua - awesome! Photo?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 9:23pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that looks like a jolly good feed.... well done matey
Page  123 1049>