Smoking your Own Marlin

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 1:57pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Roy - a couple of striped one's might be a bit taxing on resources but if you are slabbing up a fish our two and you put aside around 40-50 'chunks' around the same size as the above pixs I'll be more than happy to do them for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 2:16pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

sorry Team Tagit but your spearfish appears to have turned putrid in the last couple of hours, so I've taken liberty and biffed it in the offal pit to save you guys from a visit to the chemist for extra strength dia-stop!!...Tongue....

In all seriousness - Boulder and I will vacuum pack and will be distributed on the morrow - so make sure you have in your respective larders Vogels toast bread, vine ripe tomatoes, some kind of waaanky cheese, cracked pepper and some garlic!!

PS: just to make this relevant to the thread - spearfish has a very similar texture and density to the striped marlin I've smoked using the same method as above....

Wheres Moggy when you need him LOL Now, the big question is can I get this home tomorrow past the hungry gannets in my office?????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 2:57pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It shall be delivered hot off the bagging plant Dave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 3:00pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The chucka we had smoked in Whangarei a couple of years back and the one Boulder brought to Whangaroa was better than s/m IMO.

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 3:09pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Boulder Boulder wrote:

It shall be delivered hot off the bagging plant Dave

Thanks Boulder. I can see the office gannets circling over my head as I type this. Make sure you don't get dive bombed as you come through the door.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 6:51pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Welcome aboard Karl, I was wondering whether this thread would be the one to finally get you to start participating on here.

Weighmaster, I was not meaning the length of fight time more the type of fight from the blue marlin. My suspicion was that blues that went crazy may not smoke up as well as one which fought a more dogged fight i.e didn't expend large amounts of energy in a short period, hence possibly less lactic acid build up, only a theory no proof on this, but is logical I feel.

Top comments Vance, is this not similiar to the BTS (Burnt Tuna Syndrome)?

Where as, an energetic tuna burns itself to bits and its flesh ends up being fit only for burleyDead
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 6:54pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ILEX ILEX wrote:

A few tips for smoking marlin or any fish firstly waterblasting or scrubbing is important the slime and bacteria on all fish has the potential to give you a crook guts we have used a recipe for years 1kg of plain salt (not iodised) 2kg of brown sugar to 35 litres of fresh water brining bins are 120 litre new wheelie bins which are hygenic and easily cleaned 1 bin holds approx 1 average marlin note -important that super dry white tea tree is used as wet wood or green wood when burnt creates black creosote (bad for you) fish are left in brine in chiller for 24 hours any longer makes no difference can be left for 5 days when gutting make sure to remove dark blood line in spine starting wood is usually old dry totara fence post a moderate fire in our smoke house seems to take approx 3-4 hours to cook fish check often if meat peels off skin fish is cooked best left overnight in smoke house to cool before packing preferably vacuum packing

Great tips there thank you ILEX I have learnt something new today.ClapClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 6:58pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

smoking up Team Tagit's spearfish today - never done one of them before but don't foresee any issues.

Dry rubbed chunks with Bradley Maple Cure (anyone wanting a fool proof way of curing fish/meat this is the product for you - even a hack like me has gotten it 100% right) yesterday
Left in the chiller over night
rinsed chunks under a medium nozzle flow this morning
dried chunks with paper towel
put racks in Bradley and set to 60degrees without smoke for 1 hour
dried chunks with paper towels
rubbed chunks with maple syrup
and is now smoking away at 80 degrees with maple bisquettes

will add some photos as this progresses today.

in the meantime below is some scungy ol' albacore I did last week with the above method:

The key I believe with albacore is to de-gill and gut them through the gills as they come on board and liberally pack the gut cavity with salt ice.....you'll be surprised how "warm" the gut cavity is of a fresh caught tuna and will begin to deteriorate very quickly if left in even in a salt ice slurry.....try it this way next time you get some albacore - superb!! 

10 out of of 10 Kez, Gold that is all...

No make that 11 Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 7:09pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reel Magic - I've never done Mako or actually ever eaten it, so sorry i don't know but have heard the the texture and flavour is akin to striped marlin? cerantly doesn't sound 'right' thou.

as far as brine vs dry rub - I've only used brine method on pork hams and bacon where it requires a long time to cure - all fish I've done has been a dry rub.

If anyone bowls over a small mako and is willing to risk me having a go at smoking it please let me know....keen as!!

If I can just add 10 cents worth... Kez you will not regret smoking Mako...do try it.

I have not done it myself personally, but I have tasted others that have and it was just DEVINE.
In fact two species of shark that I have found to be great smoked are Tope/School  Shark and Mako.

The trick being to soak the fillets/meat in saltwater and all the stinky...sharky...ammonia smell is gone, so I reckon the soak in the brine should do this... and the rest well you know what to do Kez as your recipes and Bradley skills are just great.Clap

Sorry all to talk about smoking shark and take it away from Marlin.Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 9:53pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That looks great can almost smell it.

I normally brine large fish ie tuna/marlin and salt rub all the smaller ones.
I find it easier to handle that quantity of fish by chunking and layering in a big chilly bin. 2 or 3 -1 sugar to salt ratio. instead of adding water i put 3 or 4 bags of ice over it.
this gradually melts and you can smoke the next day or even longer if using a iceytek or similar thats well insulated.
only thing i dont like about brining is it takes a long time to dry the flesh out before you start a decent smoke.
I think its a well known fact that the dryer the flesh the better it will accept the smoke?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GAMFSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 12:36am
GAMFSH View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Roy - a couple of striped one's might be a bit taxing on resources but if you are slabbing up a fish our two and you put aside around 40-50 'chunks' around the same size as the above pixs I'll be more than happy to do them for you.

Come on Kezz, you need a challengeLOL, i know where you can get your hands on a unit to do thatWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 8:22pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ILEX ILEX wrote:

]A few tips for smoking marlin or any fish firstly waterblasting or scrubbing is important the slime and bacteria on all fish has the potential to give you a crook guts we have used a recipe for years 1kg of plain salt (not iodised) 2kg of brown sugar to 35 litres of fresh water brining bins are 120 litre new wheelie bins which are hygenic and easily cleaned 1 bin holds approx 1 average marlin note -important that super dry white tea tree is used as wet wood or green wood when burnt creates black creosote (bad for you) fish are left in brine in chiller for 24 hours any longer makes no difference can be left for 5 days when gutting make sure to remove dark blood line in spine starting wood is usually old dry totara fence post a moderate fire in our smoke house seems to take approx 3-4 hours to cook fish check often if meat peels off skin fish is cooked best left overnight in smoke house to cool before packing preferably vacuum packing

Just a couple of questions,Once vaccy packed what is the expected shelf life in the fridge,and what temp is it inside the smoker at the time of smoking .
Kezza ,did  you do a mako in the end ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 10:48pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had some 2010 vac packed frozen  smoked marlin and it was still great.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 9:10am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

4 years  thats good
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 9:16am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

Just a couple of questions,Once vaccy packed what is the expected shelf life in the fridge,and what temp is it inside the smoker at the time of smoking .
Kezza ,did  you do a mako in the end ?

Not yet….had one up next to the boat just before xmas that would have made the grade but bit through the trace just as it's fate was being decided….
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ELEVAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 5:39pm
ELEVAR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I smoked a mako on sunday.... was mint!! feel sorry for any wee makos that come near my boat again...

zac
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 10:01pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Regret releasing our small mako last weekend - would have been tasty as!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 11:38am
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

best smoked marlin ive ever had was done by mark from Bradley smokers . cheers mark . chunked and soaked in 2 cans of Bradley maple syrup mixed with a cure . smoked slowly for 13 hours , sweetness n flavour cured right through the meat delish .....
when out the barrier at the Hilton we don't always have time to allow cure to soak in so have incorporated the use of a marinade seringe to get a slightly thinned version of cure /syrup into the centre of chunks    hardest part is getting a consistant even heat as cant just push a button like a Bradley !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 7:32pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got our fish back from Greg Ross on thursday and fired heaps of txts out  to lot of buds to  met us at chances north shore on friday at 4pm .Filled the joint and off loaded 26 vaccy pacs .Big Thanks to Greg for a great  smoke ,nice and moist and taste superb.Going to take 6 vaccy pacs to the south Island for the old mans 74th bday at Waikaia ,bottom of the sth island.He doesn't know I'm coming ,will find him in the local at 4pm this friday so will put some  smoked stuff up on the bar  for the locals as they wouldn't have it often. 
And yip cold steel for the next mako.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 7:55pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Mako is nice, kill it, gut it, finn it, take out the blood line, put on Ice.

very moist flesh.
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Page  <1234>