Smoking your Own Marlin

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2009 at 3:30am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome aboard Karl, I was wondering whether this thread would be the one to finally get you to start participating on here.

Weighmaster, I was not meaning the length of fight time more the type of fight from the blue marlin. My suspicion was that blues that went crazy may not smoke up as well as one which fought a more dogged fight i.e didn't expend large amounts of energy in a short period, hence possibly less lactic acid build up, only a theory no proof on this, but is logical I feel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote biggear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2009 at 6:35am
biggear View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What are you doing up at 3.30am sir???
Dont let the grey hair fool you!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ILEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 1:28pm
ILEX View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A few tips for smoking marlin or any fish firstly waterblasting or scrubbing is important the slime and bacteria on all fish has the potential to give you a crook guts we have used a recipe for years 1kg of plain salt (not iodised) 2kg of brown sugar to 35 litres of fresh water brining bins are 120 litre new wheelie bins which are hygenic and easily cleaned 1 bin holds approx 1 average marlin note -important that super dry white tea tree is used as wet wood or green wood when burnt creates black creosote (bad for you) fish are left in brine in chiller for 24 hours any longer makes no difference can be left for 5 days when gutting make sure to remove dark blood line in spine starting wood is usually old dry totara fence post a moderate fire in our smoke house seems to take approx 3-4 hours to cook fish check often if meat peels off skin fish is cooked best left overnight in smoke house to cool before packing preferably vacuum packing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 2:00pm
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ken Wrights secrets revealed!! The above post is gold.Thumbs%20Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stef da maori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 5:45pm
stef da maori View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Proven recipe that one too ZaneThumbs%20Up Couple gone through that smokehouse
Tama tu, tama ora. Tama moe, tama mate.Maranga mai, me hiika tatou i nga wa katoa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ILEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 5:57pm
ILEX View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes stef after 750 we have learnt a few tricks to share with ewes fullas
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TM. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 6:51pm
TM. View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thanks...have done my first one along those lines and the result is pretty good...a bit of fine tuning as you would expect but everybody I have given it to love it...personally I cant each much of the stuff
Team 'Wild Bill'

2006 Tutukaka Small Boats Heaviest Marlin

2007 Blu Heelers Contest Heaviest Snapper

2008 Tutukaka One Base 2nd Heaviest Marlin

2009 Bay of Islands Small Boats Heaviest Marlin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote manoftheland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 7:22am
manoftheland View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I kno this is an old topic but i thought i would start it up again. I caught a big feed of albies at whitianga on the weekend and thought i would hav a crack at smoking them in my new smoker. I put the fish into brine yesterday but im not quite ready to smoke them yet. Will leaving them any longer then 24hrs do them any harm? Or will it they go off? Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 7:36am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stickface, have you got the fish in a cold brine i.e. fridge temperature, if so another 24 hours shouldn't hurt, if not smoke as soon as possible. The way we keep them chilled is to put frozen water bottles in the brine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote manoftheland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 8:32am
manoftheland View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have them in my chilly bin which i put in the freezer to keep it cool. I just take it out before it freezes. I bought a nz smoke generater off trademe a guy in napier makes them but the courier hasnt delivered it in time so thats where the problem is. Theres more then one way to make smoke tho so i might just do it without my new gadget. I would hate to give everybody food poisening!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 9:27am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

smoking up Team Tagit's spearfish today - never done one of them before but don't foresee any issues.

Dry rubbed chunks with Bradley Maple Cure (anyone wanting a fool proof way of curing fish/meat this is the product for you - even a hack like me has gotten it 100% right) yesterday
Left in the chiller over night
rinsed chunks under a medium nozzle flow this morning
dried chunks with paper towel
put racks in Bradley and set to 60degrees without smoke for 1 hour
dried chunks with paper towels
rubbed chunks with maple syrup
and is now smoking away at 80 degrees with maple bisquettes

will add some photos as this progresses today.

in the meantime below is some scungy ol' albacore I did last week with the above method:

The key I believe with albacore is to de-gill and gut them through the gills as they come on board and liberally pack the gut cavity with salt ice.....you'll be surprised how "warm" the gut cavity is of a fresh caught tuna and will begin to deteriorate very quickly if left in even in a salt ice slurry.....try it this way next time you get some albacore - superb!! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 9:47am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

YUM YUM YUM YUM  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I say YUM enough times -  YUM YUM YUM YUM

Jeez that reminds me of the Muppets - " MA NA MA NA ........do doooooo do doooo do
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 11:40am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lance - see what owning a launch has done to you LOL. Unfortunately I don't think the desease is reversible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 11:40am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The key to albies is to cut through the gills, also put the knife in just behind the peck fin. if you do both the result is way better
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 11:57am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kezza - looking forward to the progress reports, and then to the actual results! Thank you kind sir for your efforts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 12:29pm
Reel Magic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just to deviate off the subject slightly, I smoked some Mako in the Bradley the other day and the flesh feels slushy as opposed to firm and flakey like any other fish I have smoked.
Is this normal for Mako flesh. It was in the smoker for 5-6 hours.
I brined 1/2 of it and dry rubbed the other 1/2 (maple cure) to see if there was any noticeable difference (I have not tried the brined stuff yet)
Is there any benefit to brining it over dry rubbing it ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 12:32pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Most welcome Dave - consulting the diary and will get back to you ASAP!!

Cured and rinsed

After an hour in the smoker without smoke @ 60degrees - back in the chunks go with a liberal jacket of maple syrup or at least maple flavoured syrup

After an hour @ 80degrees with Maple wood flavour

3 hours @ 80 degrees the 'chuka' is cooked. so back down to 40 degrees for a couple of hours to evenly brown up the chunks by regularly rotating the racks around and from the sneaky taste test just now - BOOOOOOOOOOM!

to be continued.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 12:35pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reel Magic - I've never done Mako or actually ever eaten it, so sorry i don't know but have heard the the texture and flavour is akin to striped marlin? cerantly doesn't sound 'right' thou.

as far as brine vs dry rub - I've only used brine method on pork hams and bacon where it requires a long time to cure - all fish I've done has been a dry rub.

If anyone bowls over a small mako and is willing to risk me having a go at smoking it please let me know....keen as!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 1:46pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What say we drop off a couple of of stripys, Kezza? Those pics look awesome and I bet they tastes as good!! Change of career?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 1:55pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sorry Team Tagit but your spearfish appears to have turned putrid in the last couple of hours, so I've taken liberty and biffed it in the offal pit to save you guys from a visit to the chemist for extra strength dia-stop!!...Tongue....

In all seriousness - Boulder and I will vacuum pack and will be distributed on the morrow - so make sure you have in your respective larders Vogels toast bread, vine ripe tomatoes, some kind of waaanky cheese, cracked pepper and some garlic!!

PS: just to make this relevant to the thread - spearfish has a very similar texture and density to the striped marlin I've smoked using the same method as above....
Page  <1234>