Paua Fritters

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paua Fritters
    Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 10:22pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK, I've made some average paua fritters in the past. I have a load of paua, what fritter recipes work well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 10:41pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A very easy 2 step plan:

STEP 1: read PM for Kezza's address
STEP 2: send to Kezza

.....enjoy!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 11:16pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

A very easy 3 step plan:

STEP 1: read PM for Kezza's address
STEP 1A : send to boulder your address I will pick then up to deliver to Kezza       Wink perhaps
STEP 2: send Hugto  Kezza

.....enjoy!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizzlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 2:51pm
Fizzlesticks View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Add a little egg/flour/salt/onions then the rest is up to your imagination
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 41south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 3:42pm
41south View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mate of mine uses corn-flakes in his, VERY tasty. Tongue I'll see if I can get the complete recipe off him.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." -- Mitch Ratliffe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 3:42pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I run them through the mincer with bread and onions, then thicken the lot with a bit of corn flour mixed with water and a coupla eggs. A paua fritter MUST have malt vinegar drizzled on it.Big%20smile
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 8:18pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've just purchased a mincer, I have been abusing the little domestic food processor (hear the mouli wine!). It takes a good 15 mins to get rid of the 'bits of rubber band' texture as my partner calls it. I'm looking forward to the mighty mince master.

I whizz them with onion and a little milk to loosen it a bit, add some flour, eggs and baking powder. I tend to end up with a paua pikelet....

What about proportions? 1 egg, 4tbsp water and 2 tbsp cornflour to every two big paua? I'm guessing here.

Kezza, there is no PM in my box.

I'd be happy to send you and/or Boulder some big ole wellies snails (shucked & frozen) via courier some time. I tend to only eat a couple unless we are entertaining so I usually only take one or two.

Perhaps there might be an option for me to accompany you out on a snapper fish one day in the AKLD area? I've never caught a legal snap.Unhappy And I will be around AK and the Bay of Islands first two weeks of feb...

A few pics to wet the old appetite. Keep the recipes coming, I love malt vinegar!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 8:49pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

awesome mate and i'm sure a snapper fish will not be hard to organise.... ...especially in FEB...like sparrows!

I see you have a blue cod or two...try this:

50/50 paua & blue cod fritter.....mince meat together and make in to a fritter as per long johns recipe......Makes the paua go further, also in my opinion gives the whole shooting match a better flavour and texture.....but doesn't change anything too dramatically....hard to explain but it's a doozy that even previous non paua eaters have enjoyed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 8:54pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome recipes guys
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 9:06pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Kezza, that sounds delish. I will try that this weekend.

I've made them with sweet chilli sauce and coriander, it was nice but I think that overpowered the paua a little.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 5:54pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

50/50 paua & blue cod fritter.....mince meat together and make in to a fritter as per long johns recipe......Makes the paua go further, also in my opinion gives the whole shooting match a better flavour and texture......

Paua is black , makes me a little home sick for the plentiful Paua infested south. Mouth watering stuff that recipe Kez.

I have a hankering for some of that right now YUMMMMM!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 9:33pm
Reel Crusader View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Best paua fritter I've ever had was at the Fisherman's Club at Gissy about three years ago......anyone out there with friends in the right places to get some insight into the chef's secret recipe???????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 10:31am
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kezza, the snails will be up in AKLD early feb...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 9:15am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You guys need to be banned from showing pictures of the food .took me a while before i could get the taste of the screen of my tounge.LOL love this post  so so niceBig%20smile

woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Contract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 4:16pm
Contract View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not a fritter ~ but have you tried this ?
1)  Clean in the normal manner
2)  "Bang" in the normal manner
3)   Toss into seasoned flour
4)  Garlic Butter on hotplate
5) About 1.5 ~ 2 minutes a side to sear the outside.(about the time it takes to drain a Captain Morgan & Coke)
6)  Remove from hotplate and slice across the Paua into about 5mm slices
7)  Refresh the hotplate with a bit (lot) more garlic butter and chck the sliced back on. Sprinkle the lot with a generous amount of Worchestershire sauce % toss for about a minute.

To die for !
Don't let your wife tell you that you need greens with them, but they do tend to put a shine on your turd in the morning !