Auckland Yakkers

Page  123 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auckland Yakkers
    Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 3:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 6:06pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shet, you guys are secretive. I never new there was a place called Auckland - you do realize this is a New Zealand forumWinkLOL

Good report. Hard luck on the 20lbder - Sounds like you got a feed though
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 6:29pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I feel you pain muppet seems you havent been the only one losing monsters this weekend. Me and Hermit got busted off also. Bring on next time!
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 7:07pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You mean there are fish in Auckland?

Good on you for taking the initiative to start an Auck Yakkers thread.

I'd do a Northern one, but I'd end up arguing with myself.
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 8:05pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Auckland - Auckland??????????? Hmmmmm - thats north somewhere is'nt it??????

Hey - bugga about that one Muppet, but we've all been down that road before!!!!
Good to see the report!

Connoisseur of fine beers and ales!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ambo364 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 12:06am
ambo364 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bad luck on the big mooch, sucks when you do all the hard work and then it suddenly turns to custard right at the boat. Still, bent rods and that flash of big red beneath the boat is what keeps us comin back. Tried Browns Bay for the first time today and seems like every other yakker in Auckland had the same idea. Several hours with bugger all bites (and lots of head scratching as to why so many boats thought it was spot x) then finally got lucky and fell over a 10 ish pounder plus a few other smaller pannies. Great way to break in the new P13 though nice day and a good feed. Very friendly bunch of yakkers out there too!

Anyone else do any good there on sunday? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jason@kayakfishingnz.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 12:25am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I didn't fish Browns Bay today but yes it's a very hit and miss place... and yes it can be like a supermarket out there at times, combination of easy parking, easy launch, easy paddle, and close structure I think...

I can sometimes be found there but normally head a little further north, but on Sunday I was in front of the box watching Bathurst...

Well done on catching a feed though!
www.KayakFishing.NZ

Kayak Fishing - It's Catching!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 6:04am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingibasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 6:50am
kingibasher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i dont feel any pian muppet what about my rod hard luck man
Go the paddle power
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 8:45am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey well I made my inaugural yak trip on Sat morning at Hatfields - chosen for criteria listed above, close to water, easy launch, easy carry blah blah. On the water before six, really a shake down trip to figure out what I could do better in terms of the rig... fish finder played up from the start. Fly fished the rocky headland at north end of beach (always wanted to know what sized houses were up there!) for some small kahawai, then tested anchor rigs by deploying them (yeah yeah boring for all the pros but it was a learning trip) - both anchor and drogue, then soft bait fished for some small snaps. Then chased gannets around. Then realised that gentle SW west pushes you a long way out to sea when you're having fun. The dodged stinkboats on way back. Home by 10 am.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jason@kayakfishingnz.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 9:10am
Silver
Silver

Hi Nick,

Yes I've had a plan to do Hatfields for some time to do the "exercises", I'm still to yet deploy either of my anchors... and I haven't done the fall out and get back in practice yet either... Embarrassed

www.KayakFishing.NZ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 10:06am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A couple of yakkers turned up as I was leaving.. seemed they were keeping gentleman's hours. Definitely a good spot to practice tipping out and getting back in, very user friendly place on an offshore wind. Not sure about fish potential though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 10:18am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

The wind on Saturday was more than I expected of which I was glad  it seems to keep most yakkers in bed I normally expect this place to have a few kayaks around on a weekend morning..... it was Army Bay OK!! Sounds like you bumped into them on Sunday morning Ambo which I would'nt be too surprised about nice one getting the 10lber.

I am in the process of figuring out a pattern to fish the Auckland area as a general idea of who's catching what and getting the info out. Spoke to some guys at Just Fishin on Saturday who had heard reports of big moochers around the Takatu area in close. A mate of mine reckons Torbay wormbeds are worth a shot for the next couple of months. All good reasons to get out this weekend...........

All good reasons indeed Muppet. The pattern is a good idea. I've had a landbased one for a while now that works most the time. In the stages of building one up for the 12footer and getting more and more good quality info.

Went out sunday morning early in my mates 12 and got a few of area said above. Some reasonable fish in there!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jason@kayakfishingnz.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 10:31am
Silver
Silver

And where exactly are the "Torbay wormbeds"?
www.KayakFishing.NZ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 11:09am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jason@kayakfishingnz.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 11:24am
Silver
Silver

Thanks Muppet Wink
www.KayakFishing.NZ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ambo364 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 2:04pm
ambo364 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did any of you soft plastics guys get dealt to by squid? On a couple of occasions I pulled up squid on the nuc chook and managed to shake them off before getting inked (yeah I know they would have made good bait but they are messy little *******). Anyway gave up on the SP's pretty quickly and tried with the pillies, seemed that the guys on smellies were the only ones catching anything where I was anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 2:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 8:26pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report there Muppet Ya got to be gutted with that one on the plus side with these longer days gives you a few more hours to chase another...
I take it you are based on the north shore?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 6:23am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  123 849>