Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 647648649650651 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 1:42pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great work, Dan.That's a pretty good way to christen your new gear. Glad you're keeping Greg happy, no fun when he's grumpy. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 4:50pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 5:04pm
Titanium
Titanium

Geez, I find it hard enough to hook a kingie out in the south east without you coming down here poaching them, mate Smile

Did you go out from Half Moon Bay with Phoenix?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 5:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 5:34pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work Dan, plenty of bait around?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 6:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

Very sound advice, Dan. i have got the odd land-based kingie off rocky points on the shore east of Oneroa -just tossed jack macks into the water unweighted. Nothing big, though. One day!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 6:30pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote speckledknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:06pm
speckledknob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

First session in the new Kayak (Viking Reload) Also first post for me in the kayak section (I think?) North Auckland-ish.. got there at around midday day 5 snapper in 10 casts in 8m of water. biggest went 6lb (they bigger than they look - as always) after that 3 hours of kahawai and the smallest kingish I have ever seen...  and one lonely JD... 

stoked with kayak but have to say its one heavy ***** to drag over fluffy sand with fish on board. C-tug just sunk right into it... have any of you guys tried the sand trakz wheels? do they make much of a difference?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 1:03am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice to have the day off SK. And to christen the new yak. Great stuff. Nobody should complain about heavy fish!!Clap
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 7:33am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 8:54am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice maiden voyage result there Sk, excellent way to blood in the new yak! 
 I've got the old pneumatic tyres on my C-Tug and since the valves have rusted and innertubes have gone flat its a lot easier to drag over soft sand. I don't often have catches like that to haul up the beach though! The Wheeleez look like a good option if you're coming over soft sand most of the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote speckledknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 5:57pm
speckledknob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys yeah was quite pleased with myself. Pretty weird having a good snapper bite like that in the middle of the day in shallow water. Got one on the first cast... Was almost disappointed thinking I was going to bag out in the first half hour in the new kayak but then it just went dead. Noticed there was a workup dying down when I arrived actually paddled like hell to get there maybe I just got lucky with the timing. Previous owner of the kayak showed me a few photos and told me a few stories got some pretty big boots to fill I think but I'll do what I can lol... 

Yaka I asked the same question at the kayaknz forum and wheeleez was the response they gave me there too. But $330.00 !! They also make a conversion kit for the c-tug but its still over $200. I dunno. Might stick with the grunting and cursing for a bit longer and see how that goes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 5:39pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 7:18pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am busy Sunday morning but will fish the incoming in the afternoon/evening. May be a strayline session in close in the stirred up reef areas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 3:36pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 7:29pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Me and pizzaeater went out this morning. He had the better of the day two great kings at mid and late 20lbs and the biggest snap about 8lb. I endured two big King bust offs missing a strike landing an illegal rat and another big snapper bust off. The only good thing about the morning was the rain knocked off and everywhere and everything I said to try pretty much worked. It was not a total loss I kept 5 great pannies mid 30's to late 40's released a few kahawai and the fish life was spectacular it was all on. 

Wish it was me ☹️

Good report 👍🏻
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captain Famous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 8:23pm
Captain Famous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Initially I planned to get up and out early at the crack of dawn, but then decided to see how this morning's bite time 10.30 to 12.30 would pan out. I launched at Orere Point after 9am on the out going tide with very calm conditions. A few other kayaks and small boats out there so I paddled out to the same general area trolling a lure but didn't get anything. I had the longline set around 10am and soon had a Snapper to keep. The weather forecast had some showers likely so there was a bit of light rain or drizzle for a short while before it cleared again. Bite time seemed accurate today and there was action on the rod and reel too but mostly undersize or borderline Snapper to be returned. My longline had been cleared of the salted mackerel very quickly and I was running low so tried for bait fish but kept getting small Snapper on sabiki hooks, so gave up on that. Fortunately I had an old frozen Trevally I'd decided to clear out of the freezer so re-baited with that, during which I found I had a serious snag near the 'top' end of the line which meant I abandoned those few last hooks for a while. The wind picked up slightly and with the tide I was drifting faster than I like (even with the drogue out) so packed that up and got back to check the longline. Bite time was paying off and over a couple of runs up and down the available line I got another 3 Snapper and 2 Kahawai, the first of which measured up at 58cm on the kitchen top this afternoon. With the 4 Snapper and 2 Kahawai and the weather threatening more rain in the distance I decided to pack up and see if I could un-snag the line while it was calm. I cleared the bottom end of the line of all hooks and wound it on the reel then tackled the line from the top end. With a bit of heaving up came a hook stuck into some reefy structure and another hook on the way to being pulled straight. No worries, at least I didn't need to cut the line, so I packed up and got to shore in time to get rained on at the beach. Snappers all typical 30's (33cm x 2, 34cm, 36cm), one Kahawai at 43cm and the 58cm could be my PB ever so pleased with that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 9:09pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You seem to be doing alright with that long line!
Ever had any trouble with sharks and rays?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captain Famous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:52pm
Captain Famous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Bullet, the longline has paid for itself many times over. I started with a Nacsan kayak/small boat kit although I replaced one of the buoys with a flag so I can spot it easier. I later re-newed with a longer line so I could fit more hooks and use a mixture of plain or flasher traces, with and without floats just to mix it up a bit. I get the occasional shark and ray which I tend to cut loose as close to the mouth as possible leaving the hook in. Both can be awkward and splash, so based on size and conditions I decide the best approach, only picking up the smallest shark if I fancy my chances to pull to hook out. A few times there's a bit of a tangle if the line has been dragged as the anchors are not heavy duty. I reckon un-reeling the line every so often and re-spooling it back on helps to reduce the twist in the line in the water. As you can see from my posts here, I am a fan of using it and enjoy the 'surprise' in pulling my kayak along the line to see what has been caught.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:50pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for sharing captain famous.
A bit of thought gone in to how u set it up.
Cheers
Page  <1 647648649650651 849>