Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 633634635636637 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:41am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes Michael you've obviously been watching and learning my Kingy anti-fishing technique all too well, and they're very sensitive to Aussies and Aucklanders. We need to dress up like that English Neon Crusader to have a better chance I think...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 3:28pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well its 1-0 in the new Ashes series (its how I cook ...not quite....so tomorrow is the second test.....forecast looks good and pitch report is in an looking to be a good wicket......though a little damp......3rd test is scheduled for Saturday if anyone is interested.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 3:48pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:05am
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

[/QUOTE] 
Rickra I 'd be keen to have fish with you maybe one night next week off bays, as unfortunately busy all week and this weekend.
I don't venture too far from home in yak and have sore arm at moment (could be bending elbow too much in last few weeks, lifting petrol tanks, or jigging) but keen to have local fish with you. Best of luck tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Hi Shaneg. Let's arrange this for next week then. Just let me know where, when and I'll be there. About your arm, I hope you get over it soon. 

Yesterday I didn't have much luck at Jones Bay.

I launched around 7 am and managed to catch some live baits until 9 am. Maybe I've lost much time on this task, but at least I caught enough live baits for all day long. Then I anchored close to Maori rocks and cast 2 live baits on the water. One of then without sinker and another with 2oz sinker. I fished using this strategy until 2 pm and in this period of time, I changed the spots at least 3 times and no bites at all. Then I cut a Kahuwai in half and hooked it. 5 minutes later I caught something really big. My rod and line were originally poting out to the front of my Kayak. After I hooked this fish it passed under my kayak really fast and my yak turned 180 degrees. I had to manage to stay on it and at same time managing the drag system since I was running out of line. Unfortunately, I lost the fish. It cut my leader (in this setup I'm using 30lb braided line and 60lb leader). Now I'm guessing, can a king cut the line? I'm asking because the way that this fish pulled was totally different from the shark that I caught. Anyway, this was the only big moment of the day!!

As the time went on I tried different spots, and I decided to anchor at north channel, between Maori Rocks and Fairchild Reef. It was a bad decision since the wind changed from southwesterly to southeasterly (southwesterly I realized that it's not bad there since the Tawharanui Peninsula breaks it a little bit) and as the tide was running out suddenly 6oz sinkers wasn't more enough. I was surprised by the volume of water that runs through that channel and due to the strong current, I couldn't pull out my anchor. My yak was turning 45 degrees and tending to sink when I was trying to pull out the anchor, then I decided to cut the rope.

Long way back to the shore at average speed 2.5km/h due to the combo (wind + current). After all, it was really good to be on the weather. Great day for sure as always!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:25am
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MichaelK MichaelK wrote:

Well its 1-0 in the new Ashes series (its how I cook ...not quite....so tomorrow is the second test.....forecast looks good and pitch report is in an looking to be a good wicket......though a little damp......3rd test is scheduled for Saturday if anyone is interested.....

Hi Michael. good luck today and if my anchor arrives tomorrow I'm keen going out with you on Saturday. Where are you planning to go and what time? Cheers!!

Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 11:03am
Platinum
Platinum

I'm in for the 3rd test but have to be back at the pavilion by midday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 11:05am
Platinum
Platinum

Rickra
I'm guessing that was a shark mate, to take half a KY and then cut the line. Sometimes they do move pretty quick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 11:10am
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Big Manly Yaka Big Manly Yaka wrote:

Rickra
I'm guessing that was a shark mate, to take half a KY and then cut the line. Sometimes they do move pretty quick.

Maybe Big Manly. I'm starting to think that I attract sharks and fright kings somehow. LOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 11:27am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rickra do you want to come out with me on Saturday morning?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 11:54am
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Telecaster. I lost my anchor yesterday and today I bought another one on TradeMe. Probably it will arrive tomorrow. If so I'm keen, for sure. Where are you planning to go? Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 12:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

I am launching at Leigh at around 6am, you won't need an anchor we will be drift fishing in the deep water...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:02pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

I am launching at Leigh at around 6am, you won't need an anchor we will be drift fishing in the deep water...

That's perfect. I'm keen. Is Leigh close to Ti Point? I've never been there before. If so, I'll try get there around 5:30 am to make the things ready to go.  

Another question, if we will be drifting I reckon we'll be softbaiting, is that right? If so, any recommendations for softbait and jighead weight? Should I take any baits as well?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:18pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah it is not far from Ti Point just stay on that same road and you end up in Leigh.

I will be using jigs, and I will bring my kingy gear in case we stumble over any on the reef on the way out. As long as the forecast stays the same, I will be using 40g or 60g jigs but will bring some 80g and 100g too.

for softbaiting a 3/4oz or 1oz jighead should work OK.

The other method that works is a flasher rig or ledger rig with a 4oz sinker and cubes of pilchard or some squid on the hooks.

It is up to you I won't judge!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:43pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well the 2nd test has been run and done wit the Aussie coming out on top today.....sunrise again saw still conditions out in the middle but with a lot less traffic on the pitch the morning looked good for couple of opening with maccies of nice size coming into the yak........with the first delivery and paddling into a slight a breeze, the maccie started dancing when the line started peeling away from the reel......a nice solid hook up and away I went on a nice little ride before landing a nice 85cm kingie....quickly disposing of him, second delivery of the day went into the water...the sounder was lit up with bait schools and big arches and 5 mins later the talica was again screaming as line peeled off the reel....another good fight and this time 95cm kingie landed........having a look at the time realised that I could declare at 7:30 and head to the showers....but wanting to get a few more runs on the board proceeded to land another 3 kingies ranging from 60cm to about 90cm.....those ones all went back as I had what I was after.......so at the end of play the score now stands at 1 test a piece.

BMY if you are wanting to do a kingie mish on Saturday happy for that though I will probably be trying for other species....Luke is also coming out so maybe looking at a snapper fish, but they seem few and far between at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 2:18pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work MK. I got into some good snapper on the edge of the tiri channel on Sunday afternoon, I didn't fish for long as it was getting rougher and rougher, but I landed a 50cm snap in great condition and lost another one that felt similar or maybe a bit bigger. Lots of sign on the drop off area in 12-15m at the shakespear end of the channel. No action at all in the deep parts of the channel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 2:37pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

All good. I'll give a try jigging as well. Thanks for your tips. Smile

Just let me know exactly where we should meet there, please and I'll follow my best friend GPS.

I may leave Auckland around 4:10 am to get there on time and make things ready to launch 6 am as planned. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 2:42pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MichaelK MichaelK wrote:

Well the 2nd test has been run and done wit the Aussie coming out on top today.....sunrise again saw still conditions out in the middle but with a lot less traffic on the pitch the morning looked good for couple of opening with maccies of nice size coming into the yak........with the first delivery and paddling into a slight a breeze, the maccie started dancing when the line started peeling away from the reel......a nice solid hook up and away I went on a nice little ride before landing a nice 85cm kingie....quickly disposing of him, second delivery of the day went into the water...the sounder was lit up with bait schools and big arches and 5 mins later the talica was again screaming as line peeled off the reel....another good fight and this time 95cm kingie landed........having a look at the time realised that I could declare at 7:30 and head to the showers....but wanting to get a few more runs on the board proceeded to land another 3 kingies ranging from 60cm to about 90cm.....those ones all went back as I had what I was after.......so at the end of play the score now stands at 1 test a piece.

BMY if you are wanting to do a kingie mish on Saturday happy for that though I will probably be trying for other species....Luke is also coming out so maybe looking at a snapper fish, but they seem few and far between at the moment.

Very good Michael. Congratulations on your catches!! Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

Mate I'm easy, a snapper hunt sounds good, although after that report the Kings sound pretty tempting too! Well done fella, you're batting average has suddenly shot up!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 4:34pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 5:26pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm out for a quick little snapper session from Beachlands tomorrow morning first thing. I haven't been on the kayak in a couple of months.

I did have one good day out from Napier on the boat during the holidays. Got a tonne of gurnies and some snapper and kings.
Page  <1 633634635636637 849>