Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 640641642643644 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:12pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah just a bad cast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:29pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Stick Bait Wonkers

Aha, I see. It's a shame, mate, that your spots are getting spoiled for you guys in that way, by fellow fishers. Sign of the world we live in, i guess.

It's a bit like my local reef which is about 200m from shore. I don't bother to fish it in the summer because from half tide onwards the jetskiers out of Eastern Beach just go nuts, zooming way too close, just spoiling it. They have the whole sea to demonstrate their insecurities by revving engines, but choose to buzz small fishing dingies. Wonkers, as you say.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:41pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was pretty nuts off bays at lunch time.... was in my larger yak...a white one called obsession, relaxing afta west coast yestaday.. 2 nice kings and some very respectable snaps... we could hear mr wippy van from where we were fishing but cudn't quite make out the beach babes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My nephew and bro ...I'm less photogenic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:33pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:56pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bigger king dan went 94cm was 26 lb, not bad on shimano 5000 Stradic with 10lb braid from anchored boat. We had pass rod round anchor warp twice because anchor was stuck and we could raise it till after we had the fish. Westerly wind and tide had started to run out locking anchor on foul. Was stuck pretty good but got it back once we had fish.
Bigger king took half a piper. I got smaller 80cm model on a livie ( yellowtail) with 37 kg braid on old jig rod ... even that was a mission in shallow ground. The bigger fish took us us over 20 minutes to bring in, miracle didn't bust us off, especially running round boat twice.
Ps the everol performed faultlessly yesterday, clicker could be little louder, however was smooth as silk. Albeit only on alberts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:41pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wow Shane, nice haul. I don't know we had it so good close by.
Up north I landed a couple of rats and a kahawai at the point then got sick of dodging the stick baits.
Moved on to a shallow spot that has delivered in the past.
First livie got taken and went back under the yak sending me in reverse at full speed. After a couple of mins the hook pulled, bugger.
Second livie out and drifted further along the drop off. Hooked up big time in 12m of water. Started well towing me out deeper then it turned and went straight into the weed. Snagged. I kept the pressure on and finally it lifted free. This one measured at 92cm and fat.
Had a few more hook ups and saw the Kings 1m below stressing my macs. They were easy 1m long. Nothing else stuck so back at the beach at midday.
Thanks for the company Dan and Patrick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 11:10pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Brent give us yell if you want to fish off bays. Should be some good fishing off bays next few months especially when workups start between castor and murrays. But certainly good now with lot of kings about.
Just need bit heavier gear than softbait rods to target them properly. I fish lighter in winter with Calcutta 200 and 8 lb braid but starting to run 30lb braid now on a trini 12 and gruntier rod. Just need to work out how to stop em towing us into foul... but have been working on a strategy or two to stop that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:55am
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Might take u up on that offer Shane. Cheers.
This weekend is not looking good.... might spend it cleaning out the fishing box
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:07am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like you boys had a better day with the Kings yesterday, well done.
I had a bit of fun in the local bay Monday evening. Just as I got home I noticed birds working in close so grabbed the yak and raced out to get amongst it. Turned out to be terns and sooties, lots of small KY, with a few small snapper underneath. I had a lot of fun with the KY, keeping one decent size one, but couldn't seemed to find any decent sized snapper. It kept moving further and further offshore so turned for home after about an hour.
Yves if you're reading, that was the first workup I've seen in our bay this year, maybe they're just a bit late? anything over your way?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

There have been huge kahawai chasing anchovies? on the south side of the peninsula the last couple of weeks. Sporadic bustups, gannets in attendance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

Good to know Tele, have you been in to them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:59pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah man, I was amongst sporadic workups at my local yesterday too. No Snaps underneath, but I snagged a good feed inbetween :-) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big Manly Yaka Big Manly Yaka wrote:

Good to know Tele, have you been in to them?

Yeah I had a fun evening session a week or so back, released a few big kahawai and got a nice 58cm snapper on the drop, using z man new penny curly tails. A couple of other pannies too. Had to go in because the big one killed my baitcaster.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

If that forecast holds the next few days of calmer weather then Saturday might be worth a poke about. Might try somewhere local for snaps I think. The old stomping grounds maybe Yves...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Picking up my bait caster from the shop this arvo. Might go on a mates boat this evening.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 2:17pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Picking up my bait caster from the shop this arvo. Might go on a mates boat this evening.

Good luck mate!
Page  <1 640641642643644 849>