Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 635636637638639 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 3:44pm
Rylee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All,

A bit new to Kayak fishing here and found this forum, also seen some great info and kayak fisher from Whangaparaoa which is great. Hopefully i can join some of your adventures and learn from you guys. cheers.

Rylee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badgerbor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 3:48pm
Badgerbor View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'll keep an eye on what you fellas are up to as I'm off work for a week now and keen to visit the Leigh area for a crack if you'll have me tag along.

Might head over to the Coromandel for an overnighter depending on what the weather does.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 4:09pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Rylee Rylee wrote:

Hi All,

A bit new to Kayak fishing here and found this forum, also seen some great info and kayak fisher from Whangaparaoa which is great. Hopefully i can join some of your adventures and learn from you guys. cheers.

Rylee

Welcome, Rylee. 

I hope you enjoy this forum as I'm. See you out there!!

Ricardo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 4:31pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Anyone venturing out on the weekend? Sunday arvo looks potentially fishable.

Hi mate.

I'm thinking to head to Leigh again and try to catch that fish that I lost. I know it's still there!! LOLLOL

But if I go I'll get there a little bit late (around 7~8 am) and then fishing until my live baits last. Tomorrow I'll have some drinks with friends, so to get there earlier for me would be a torture...haha

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 4:36pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Badgerbor Badgerbor wrote:

I'll keep an eye on what you fellas are up to as I'm off work for a week now and keen to visit the Leigh area for a crack if you'll have me tag along.

Might head over to the Coromandel for an overnighter depending on what the weather does.

Hi Badgerbor.

Coromandel would be great. If you decide to go, please let me know. I may be keen to join you!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:06pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Rylee , welcome I'm an occasional kayak fisher along east coast bays. If you ever want to pop down the bays for fish I'm keen.
Ricardo as per last week may be opportunity next week if still keen. A lot of nice fish about these ways prior to current blow. May even have look in weekend if drops enough. Will be pretty murky after this blow. Might be one or two fish once clears and we should start to get work ups in here soon. Once they happen usually late feb but might be earlier this year is all on for lure fishing .... soft bait. jigs and small hard body lures, or if want to soak a few big baits like yellow tail, yellow eyed mullet or piper, or big pillies .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:21pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Hi Rylee , welcome I'm an occasional kayak fisher along east coast bays. If you ever want to pop down the bays for fish I'm keen.
Ricardo as per last week may be opportunity next week if still keen. A lot of nice fish about these ways prior to current blow. May even have look in weekend if drops enough. Will be pretty murky after this blow. Might be one or two fish once clears and we should start to get work ups in here soon. Once they happen usually late feb but might be earlier this year is all on for lure fishing .... soft bait. jigs and small hard body lures, or if want to soak a few big baits like yellow tail, yellow eyed mullet or piper, or big pillies .

Hi Shaneg. I'm still keen for sure. I hope next week the weather gets better then there we go!! Big smileBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 6:54am
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi fellas.

I have 2 questions:

1- Before taking a Kingfish home, do you usually bleed it?I watched some NZ videos people bleeding the fish and saying that the meat tastes better in this way. I never caught and never ever eat a kingfish, so I'd like to hear from you guys.

2- I've just bought a Drogue and I read that some people use a floater to avoid it to sink. Do you guys do the same?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:05am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi mate I usually kill the kingfish with a knife to the head then take guts and gills out when I get to shore. Makes for a cleaner fillet with less dark meat and makes it easier to use the frame and wings etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 11:55am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 11:56am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 7:00pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, Tele and Muppet!! Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 6:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 6:12pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Check out these cool little lobster softbaits

Cool. Have you tried it? Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 6:17pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:30pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yesterday I went to Leigh. I got there around 8am. Yeah, I know that I'm a kind of lazy angler. Anyway, 15 minutes to set up everything, yak on the water and ready to catch some live baits. This process was quite difficult and took me some time. I've managed to catch only 5 yellowtails at the wharf. At least I was able to test my live baits tank with a portable pump air. It worked quite well. Any of the livies died or even got stunned.  Thanks, Patrick!! :)

Then I paddled northeast to Panetiki Island (around 500 meters from the Island). There I had the chance to test my drogue using a floater and it worked out perfectly. Thanks, Muppet!! :)

All right, too much blah blah blah, tests but where are the fishes? No fishes at all. From 5 livies that I had, I got 4 bites and zero hookups. Some things that I reckon I've done wrong yesterday that may be led to lost that fishes:

- Wrong size of the hook. Too big for the sizes of the live baits that I got. Size 10.  When I struck I hooked the live bait again killing it. I think for that size of livies a hook size 7 would be great.

- Wrong setup. I'm using braid line and to avoid use the sinkers running on it I tied a dental floss under the swivel to the leader holding the sinkers. But didn't work and got tangled many times and the livies couldn't swim naturally. 

Next time I'm planning to catch some live baits the day before and then take it with me don't wasting time trying to catching then. My wife has an aquarium and some fishes on it. Today I told her that I'll get rid of them and use her aquarium to keep my live baits. Today I'll sleep on the couch, but it'll worth it, I'm sure...haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:46pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tried similar crayfish imitation last Autumn and they got smashed Dan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 5:55am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 5:55am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:09am
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by DenimViper DenimViper wrote:

Tried similar crayfish imitation last Autumn and they got smashed Dan

Nice fish Denim. ClapClap
Page  <1 635636637638639 849>