Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 629630631632633 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 9:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just got back from walk to the beach check my cousin and nephew out who invited me for and evening fish off my local at 5.30 pm, as I was leaving work. Popped down to beach on way home and it looked a little too choppy for my liking. So adjourned for a beer and a wine and some pizza before taking a walk back down to see how they got on raiding my best spots.
Damage wasn't too bad they completely lucked out on snapper but reckoned they'd hooked a 20 kg king which towed my cousin around on his light braid spin snapper rod for 20 minutes before the trace gave way... they said they'd seen a few smaller kings swimming around before big one hit.
Oh well ... hopefully fish will be ok. Not a good idea really putting out such a big bait on such a little rod and a light trace.... especially when a nice choppy easterly often seems to rark up usually fussy kings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:43pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Launched at Sullivan's bay at about 2.20pm today. Lots of small ones around between the mainland and saddle. Micro jigs were working best. Had a reasonable snapper on out past the north end of saddle but it was taken by a decent bronzie along with my favorite jig which you can't get in NZ easily. Gave me a bit of a fright as I had my hand on the trace at the time! Moved back closer to the headland and ended up with 6 keepers. Nothing over 38cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 6:57am
Titanium
Titanium

Hope I didn't put everyone off?? Whats the plan for the weekend? I am busy swapping gear around and setting up my new (to me) kayak but hope to get it wet on Sunday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 6:41am
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:02am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good deal, and great setup on a popular model, should sell in a flash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:17am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big Manly Yaka Big Manly Yaka wrote:

Good deal, and great setup on a popular model, should sell in a flash.
I hope so, I already splashed out on its replacement...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:49pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thats the only way to roll Tele, you can't be caught short!

Its a bit quiet on here boys, any plans for the weekend? I'm keen on trying a kingy mish somewhere Saturday morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

I might be keen but won't have a sounder on the new yak, so I'll be pesting around waiting for someone else to find the livies for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:39pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Going to give Tuts a jam this weekend off the bricks. mainly casting stickies Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:47pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 12:32pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out this this morning nice and early with plan to christen new okuma tournament concept spiral wrap slow jig rod I picked up during the week. Rod went well landing few 30 cm snaps, worked bait and slow jigs well, and even casts ok despite guide arrangement. Have teamed with trini12 and 30 lb braid, aimed at bigger quarry than my staple Calcutta 200 and hearty rise 12 lb outfit.
Ended up back in 8am as had run outa limited amount bait (6 pilchards I took)and tired of jigging little snapper. My bait catching problem was due to complete absence of macks at spot that they are normally always present. Suspect reason for mackerals absence this morning was the 30-35 pound king that turned up almost immediately this morning and decided underneath my kayak was a good place to molest the odd hooked snapper from for next couple of hours. Awesome looking handsome big fish and very wise to pilchard cubes with hooks in them
Anyway have just procured a few piper from Hunts and have not put kayak away... probably have another crack and see if he still is around late afternoon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 12:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 1:15pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Gonna have a look at these local kings next week

I better get out there and catch a few then. This fish was a nice one Dan. Should be few there, but was only one I saw.

The local kings get used to seeing baits and lures though. Another yak was out fishing same area last night while was down having a swim. Would been great out there last night. And my Cousin who hooked other one has also been out there again, They didn't manage to land a king but had one good hit and were bitten off ... so prob shark and got a big kahawai on another live.

This morning was pretty cool though just watching the king cruising around under the yak. They are awesome things.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:15pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No joy on kings this evening ... secured few nice baits for tomorrow morning though on the old bait master extreme hand line. Was too windy out wide and wind against tide so had to retreat in close. New rod got a work out on a large octopus .. rod is extremely powerful.... would prefer to be testing on kings and large snaps rather than the former ... very intelligent creatures from what I'm lead to believe, and certainly had the upper hand with me tonight. and won its freedom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:32am
Platinum
Platinum

Those octopus are tricky buggers aye Shane, I had one grab a little snapper on the retrieve a little while back, and wasn't keen on letting go. I lifted him right out of the water but was he stuck to the kayak, my paddle and the fish, eventually let go after some insistent prodding.
I was a bit lazy yesterday and bailed on the plan to get up early and head north for kings and just went out local. Lots of small snaps around but managed to pick up a random 10lbr in the middle of nowhere, was a nice fat male. I dropped a big SB on some large sign in shallow water and the rod fully buckled over for a few seconds before the line parted, it looked cut so not sure if it was a small shark or a kingy busting me off on the bottom. Do sharks take softbaits?
Got a brunch this morning but thinking of going out again this arvo if I'm not over the limit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 10:34am
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Wayne I am keen for a local paddle this arvo, was thinking of launching at army or Shakespeare and heading towards tiri?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 8:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Another BS forecast meant I couldn't go far. Launched at arkles around 4.45pm. Did 2 long drifts left to right in about 10m.  came home with 3 pannies. Was snotty out there. Fast drift with drogue out front. New penny curly tail on 3\4oz jighead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rickra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:12pm
Rickra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi fellas. I'm new here and a newbie as a kayak angler as well. Yesterday I finally bought a kayak, but before this, I was going to fish with my inflatable SUP. Here is a video that I took last week at Rangitoto Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEh9r6qgPl8

As I told you, yesterday I bought the kayak in the morning, and at the and of the day I headed to Browns Bay. I launched around 5 pm and I fished until 9:45pm. I caught only a few small snappers (same size that I caught in the video)  and I was able to try the new toy as well.

Also, I'd really enjoy going fishing with you guys if it's possible. 

Thanks and sorry for my poor English, since is not my first language. :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 10:59am
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey fellas- I've been cruising quietly in the background sneaking out for quick local missions. Fish are around and in great condition- nothing big, but nice and plump 'n tasty. Natural colours are working best and after Wayne showed me up on our last outing together I switched to using the massive z-mans, and they have accounted for the bigger models :-) Haven't seen any workups in aaaages....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 11:16am
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Yves, yeah I was thinking its been quiet regarding workups, Ive not seen one locally since last summer. Have you been out on the north side, or the old stomping ground?
On Saturday I caught all my fish (only one keeper remember!) on smaller natural coloured Zmans. I had a larger bruised banana that didn't get much attention.
We should hook up again man, when you gonna have some time free?
Page  <1 629630631632633 849>