Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 612613614615616 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JMac83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:52am
JMac83 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sure looks that way the one time I've managed to sort out a sitter for the kids and the weather is terrible! Typical
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:29am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 1:58pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah agreed. 20 knots plus looks nasty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 4:35pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 4:59pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saturday will be perfect weather,i am having lunch at the in-lawsDead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:20pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks mate, might go shopping this weekend! 

To change the subject, what do you use for gurnard? Love that fish.
Only caught once off the yak on a nuke chook. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 8:31am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty much all of the time when we do gurnard missions its a stinky bait session. They love mackies, skippys wont refuse pilly or squid ( particularly fresh broadfin)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 10:23am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:02am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How small are the hooks? Like a KL 5/0?

Sunday morning looks potentially fishable...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trippple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:12am
trippple View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys.... sorry to hijack this thread, just bought a yak (been out on the bricks bout 40 times in the last 7 weeks all around aucks, and Coro ). I know like anything it's a lot of trial and learning, but are there any basic checkpoints which you guys can point out that will make yak fishing more enjoyable? Is it berley up and fish as usual, soft baits, or normal bait? Was looking at some marine charts and around army bay looks like it could be quite good, 20 m, good structure etc.... literally any advice would be much appreciated... also have some time off so most probs on the yak for the nxt few weeks. If anyone headin out, green bottles are on me... thanks in advance....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:18am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi mate

I usually fish softbaits and micro jigs and hardly ever anchor up. I don't use bait of berley very often for a couple of reasons, smell and mess, and also I don't like having to deal with sharks and rays etc on the kayak.

Make sure you have waterproof comms and a good PFD, and make sure someone knows where you are fishing and what time you will be back.

Army bay is good, and not that far to paddle to deeper water. Where about are you based?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trippple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:36am
trippple View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cool, thanks for the tips bud... I'm out west, but fish a lot around whangaparoa etc, as the swell seldom allows access around these ways, whatipu etc...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:59pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey tripple,
I fish predominantly in the harbour, as in under the bridge.
Heaps of snapper there for a good feed during late summer.
I even got the odd Gurnie. I use gulps and z-mans drifting.

Haven't tried in winter, might do soonish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:02pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Ledger rigs with small hooks light line and one ounce sinker on bottom too easy. 3 hook rig best.

Cheers for the tips guys!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trippple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:27pm
trippple View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 10:55am
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

For gurnard its pretty hard to go past salted skippy on a flasher rig with the Black Magic tarakihi rigs being probably the best. 15m seems to be the magic depth off the East coast bays ,  while on the West coast harbours it's shallower at 4 to 8m. There is a lot of great kayak fishing to be had in the Manukau for you Trippple. Try the channel edges off Jenkins bay ( end off South Titirangi Rd), French bay, Cornwallis etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 11:16am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not very nice out there today off ECB.
If you want waterproof pants for yak there is a surplus industrial shop under ASB on 290 Lincoln Rd selling some cheap ones that are bibbed type with braces. Don't think open weekend. Worth a look if your passing during week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trippple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 6:09pm
trippple View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awsum!!!! 5mins from my place, might just do that for my first trip. Thanks for the tips rowboat bob
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 6:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 8:40am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm in Tologa Bay on a golf tourney this weekend. Playing the mud by the looks of it.
Sunday does look good though...
Page  <1 612613614615616 849>