Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 607608609610611 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 8:51am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good work Dan'o, Mike was giving me updates on how you were going while I was busy catching bugger all! Turned out to be a pretty good day though, stunning morning and easy paddle across to Tiri. Patchy sign didn't really produce many hits for us and only a little later in the morning across on the inside of the island we started to get a few hits. MK picked up a couple of snaps, one stonker which gave him a bit of a tow for a while, I weeded through some smaller fish and managed a good keeper, and Mike snagged a JD on the way home too. Again an easy flat water paddle back over beautiful clear water, made it once again a really nice trip, still one of my favourite paddles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 5:10pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Met up with pizzaeater this morning for the grunter bash. Nice morning not much wind just a light westerly made anchoring a bit tricky vs the tide. Any way proved to be an OK morning managed 5 species keeping 12 x 32cm-39cm grunters and 2 x snapper mid 30's also caught perfect livebait kahawai, jack macks which were the best bait and even two tiny sharks must have been a dogfish/tope species don't know first for me. Top morning either way fridge full of fillets tomorrow Approve

Good to hear the grunters are in and still a few snaps in between. Nice catch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 6:27pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:37pm
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wayno, could you post up what speed you are getting on your yak in average, please? I wonder how faster it is comparing to plastic. If anybody was with you on plastic and already have some numbers, could you post those here, please?
It is clear that it is difficult to compare it objectively, but I'm sure you know what my goal is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:58am
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Travis I don't think the speeds are vastly different, kayaks between 4m-5m are limited to a similar maximum hull speed anyway, maybe 1-2km/h difference at cruising speeds. What I have found though is the Stealth is 'easier' to paddle than my old PF400, so just pushing it through the water is not as tiring. I also find its a little better in a following sea, so you tend to cover a bit more ground easier/quicker than my plastic yak, with a chop or swell behind you. Fastest I've been able to push it on flat water has been just on 10km/h (according to the GPS) which is the max hull speed without planing or surfing.
The max hull speed for the FP400 (4.1m long) is 9.1km/h, but I never tried to measure my top speed on flat water in that yak, so not sure if it was easily achievable. 
So as far as speed is concerned I don't think there is much in it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:41pm
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Many thanks, Wayno. I appreciate your info.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:51pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:07pm
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Imho Mojo is not in the yak, but you are the only one who can prove it Dan :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:28pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:29am
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dan, you dont have to own the yak to undertake this quantum physics test  ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:58am
Platinum
Platinum

Dan I was a bit worried for a while there, thought I had a nice long sleek chunk of fibreglass fish repellant! Its doing well now but still not as 'lucky' as the old PF400 Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 5:32pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Whoa...been a little while since I posted.....paddle on Saturday across to Tiri was awesome.....couldnt have asked for better weather...while the fishing was slow....in the end it paid off....nice going 2 foot, 10lbs in the old money (60cm/5kg for the youngens) and a JD......with little to no breeze getting back to AB was pretty nice......hopefully we will continue to see the nice weather and I will certainly look to go on the next grunter hunt Dan ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 5:33pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Snapper that was.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:23pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds good I'm keen if my back lets me paddle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:28pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh only thing is needs to be incoming tide 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:09pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

keen mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:39pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm keen too, It’s been too long since I got the yak wet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:00pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 607608609610611 849>