Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 586587588589590 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captain Famous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 6:08pm
Captain Famous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi everyone! Outfished 1-nil by Mrs Famous while we were out together on the Malibu 2XL at Eastern Beach this afternoon. A rare chance for us both to get out regardless of the fishing prospects - bite times indicated poor/no action while we fished early afternoon - but the low wind forecast tempted us out for a couple of enjoyable hours on the water. Her one Kahawai kept, would have been two but for the first one jumping off the hook at the side of the kayak. My 'contribution' of one undersize Snapper also jumped hook at boat side. There were several work ups again and hundreds (literally!) of birds around. We saw a shoal of very small sprats or something similar swimming under the kayak also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:34pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got a lesson in how to fish the conditions with Yves yesterday morning at Shakespeares. Wind seemed ok in the carpark but out on the water it blowing and fully chopped up. I struggled with the fast drift with no drogue, but Yves was mastering it and took home a few nice fat snaps. Me, nothing but some paddle practice.
Good to catch up man.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 6:43am
Platinum
Platinum

Ha! Yeah you're right Dan and hopefully 'I know a guy' who may be able to help me out...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 2:25pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah man, it was good catchup. I really enjoyed the paddle on your new yak too- what a beauty she is. 
I'm reckoning it was the  drougue that made all the difference as you were pretty much fishing the same drift as me, only a ten times the pace. Time to put on that running rig!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:07am
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good to see your new local providing the goods Yves.
I'm off to papa aroha for a few days, does anyone know of any good kingie spots down that way?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:04pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:07pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Saw a few around Fantail last week, had some follows on the stickbait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:29pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers DV and Dan.
Fantail is a bit far. Will try the smaller head lands close by and troll a livie in the bays.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 9:33am
Platinum
Platinum

Shot out for a quick fish before work this morning, stunning start to the day. Nothing much to report, few small ones coming up and going back, although there were quite a lot of terns, sooties and a few gannets starting to arrive just as I was heading in. I pegged a few casts into the closest lot that were working the surface, but nothing much underneath, a few small bites but nothing sizeable. Would have been interesting to hang around for another hour or so...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Driftd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 9:56am
Driftd View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got out yesterday morning a little ways up north, on a mission for kingfish and anything in between. Took a friend out who hasn't caught one before so was a bit of a guided tour. Managed to stock up on decent sized Jack Macs so that was a good sign first up. Put a livey on my mates line, drops it down and starts paddling! Smashed! All up we caught 4 kings, biggest 990mm, 940 and 860 smallest 800mm. No rats! Also a nice pod of Dolphins came through which is always a great site to see!  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 4:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 7:57am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dan
Have sent you PM re tachio. Cheers shane
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 4:57pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well got out for a kingie mish on Saturday with a couple of the guys.........day was sweet as hardly any breeze no swell as we paddled out.....as we got on site the maccie schools weren't around in big numbers but what was coming aboard were bloody huge....biggest maccies I have seen for awhile....anyway managed to get a couple in the bucket and started trolling one around....he did get monstered but the kingie spat him out....when I got the maccie to the surface he was a little beat up....put him back down when he got smashed again but the kingie came out on top this time and swum away with the bait.....another one on and away I went....this time the maccie stayed close to the surfacer and ended up the prize of a sneaky bloody gannet.....stupid thing ended up with the hook in its beak....after pulling him in and BMY coming over to lend a hand and pull the hook out of its beak....it swum away a little and dusted itself off....for some reason it flew off and didn't come back.......so between all this and trolling around two of the maccies had expired cause they were too big and my livie tank isn't aerated.....so putting last maccie on I sent him down...finally found the bait schools and started paddling through when that favourite sound started and line started disappearing off the reel.....after a solid 5 minutes and being towed around a nice kingie 890 came aboard......so bleed and tossed in the back of the yak I managed to land another maccie and put him down for just a bit fun.....but the kingies weren't in a biting mood really....my mate managed one 840 and that was it......big thanks to BMY for clearing the gannet and I will post up some pictures later of BMY...bird wrangler.......onwards to the next session
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 5:07pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah that gannet might have a bit of a fat lip today but he looked in pretty good shape when flew off.
Did notice the other gannets circling u and watching as you were trying to release him?
Anyway bloody nice day in the water, great conditions. Macs ended up pretty easy to get in the end, I had to restock the tank twice and they came in pretty quick. I had s few hit and runs, but none stuck. Good to catch up with u guys, next time we won't leave before 12 aye Michael
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badgerbor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 5:21pm
Badgerbor View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi fellas just thought I'd post a question to you guys as you clearly do a lot of live baiting. Anyone using a Thunnus or cheaper Shimano bait runner and if so how are they holding up to yak use and abuse?

Really keen to start doing more day trips north, particularly the Mathesons/Leigh area. Stupid question time, which is the best site to look at to determine whether the wind etc is looking good in that neck of the woods.

Usually fish Orere but keen to try some new spots and have a crack at the kings up that ways
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 5:59pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:14pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good to see you guys are still getting into some good fishing. My yak is feeling a little neglected and I don't see it getting much use any time soon.

I got some boat fishing in over Xmas and managed a new species which I was pretty stoked with.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:31pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:19am
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They were beautiful, right up there with some of the nicest fish I've eaten. They give a decent scrap too. That was a double header of 11kg and 8kg out of 115m.
Page  <1 586587588589590 849>