Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 581582583584585 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 10:29pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers TK funnily enough looked at light ugly stiks today. was looking at spin because can't see her casting a baitcaster with braid.
Was sort of hoping for spin rod that can do do softbait and bait and lures, Bit of fan of one rod and only taking one, yet being able to do couple of roles. Even though have softbait and light jig rods in garage most are over 7 foot. Also have a few killwell spin sticks texaliums and live fibres but they seem a bit heavy paired to softbait spin reel. I think these days lighter and faster taper the better for kayak. Also wish they put a little bit more glass in some of graphite softbait rods and made em a bit shorter. This veritas rod will certainly struggle on bigger fish, but will be fun on good pannies. And I ve only had one snapper in last 12 months off here over 5kg. Rat king might be interesting though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 11:24pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's not easy to find the perfect 'one rod', that's for sure. I've just had to get a second rod rack for the very reason! I have a couple of Ugly Stiks for light straylining with spin reels, too. The Gold USG-SP66A is a nice one for small boats - 6'6" and rated 4-8kg. I usually use that when we're expecting nice pannies with the odd bigger fish. There's a lighter one SP66AL which is 3-5kg. H&F were happy to get in the model I wanted.
Obviously that wouldn't be ideal for soft baiting, but probably doable.
The Okuma X-Factor is a composite, but quite soft for bait fishing with anything other than small baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 6:43am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captain Famous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 9:49am
Captain Famous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Over Christmas CF you staying in Auckland?

Yes, two weeks off work until 8th January. No fixed plans so I'll be reasonably available. Do let me know any opportunity coming up, thanks!

Keen to try new spots over summer.

Mixed result at Eastern Beach yesterday afternoon.
1. No wind, sunshine. It was great to be out from mid-afternoon to just after 6.30pm. Slip-slop-slap. Forgot to sun block the back of my hands. Ouch!
2. Nick got 3 kahawai from a spot we'd been at for a while, just as I paddled off to check the longline.
3. Longline had plenty of bait taken but only one feisty Ray that wanted a tug-of-war. Cut and relased. No sharks though.
4. My catch = zero. Nick kindly donated 2 of the kahawai so I have a feed for the family today. Thanks Nick!
5. But the main event and best result of yesterday was taking my 4y/o daughter out on the water 'proper' for the first time yesterday (previous experience is her sitting on the kayak in 5cm at the water's edge). She's grown into the pfd I bought over a year ago and so we went for paddle up and down the beach while waiting for Nick to arrive. She even insisted to have a go at paddling solo. Bonus points to Mrs Famous for taking a video clip on her phone. Excellent potential for future fishing buddy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:00am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think that rod is gone Dan. Greg said yesterday Hearty Rise not easy company to reorder from and tend to produce rods in batches.    So may be wait before see anymore.       
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 12:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 8:50am
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well finally some decent weather to go fishing in.....mate an I headed out for a kingie mish on Saturday....after being sick on Thursday and Friday wasnt sure how I would handle the paddle but got out there anyway...

Getting the gear ready on Friday night and grabbed the Talica to put a new leader on it after being serviced by Go Fish.....after putting th enew leader went to give it a quick test and something aint right....drag lever stuck up the top and refusing to come back, so I put it to the side and will be taking back this week......hopefully it is nothing Stern Smile

Anyway, grab the trusty thunnus which hasnt seen a lot of action and prep it, knowing that the rod it is on isnt the greatest but it should hold up to the kingies Wink

We launched early and the morning paddle was great....heaps of baitfish around and big arches diving in amongst it all...in no time a tub full of livies and away I went......first livies wasnt in the water for more than 5 mins when the thunnnus started singing....setting the hook and away I went.....fought the fish for a good 9 mins 34 sec according to the GoPro before the hook pulled Angry....this was a big fish and I didnt catch sight of him at all....I am thinking he would have been a PB for me....oh well..... another a livie and away I go again.....by now it was starting to get  a bit busier around the area with a couple of boats in the mix, but soon enough the thunnus started singing....grab the rod and as I set the hook the kingie ducks back under the yak.....rod bends right over and SNAP.....there goes the rod in half with the tip disappearing under the water Stern Smile.....as per my comment before...the rod wasnt good enough for the big kingies....oh well, gives m a good  excuse to buy a new rod LOL.....anyway switched to softies to catch a couple of snapper if possible as a plague of KY turned....all big suckers and not giving the softie any chance of getting below.....I did hook up on a little rat kingie on the softie which is always fun....finally got to the bottom and bagged a nice snap around 8lb mark....mate missed all the kingies as he was plagued by KY sucking his baits off.....a couple of guys turned up on yak and threw stick baits around for some success which we saw back on the beach....3 nice ig kingies up around the 12-15kg mark.....couldnt figure why they would need 3......cant see the kingies being there for too much longer if that continues to happen Cry...anyway end result 1 nice snap which i gave to a family on the beach when we got back....i had some at home and they seemed happy enough to take off my hands, mate bagged for nice big KY which he has smoked and will bring into work today.

Sunday we headed out again, this time for a snap mish off RP.....again like everyone else...it was a little slow.....lots of little fish with a couple of pannies in between made for a slow session, but it was pretty damn sweet on the water and the paddle was nice as easy as the wind had died down so it wasnt busting as we headed in....didnt see any kigies around RP, a couple of smallish bait schools but they werent taking the sabiki.

All in all a pretty great weekend to be out on the water enjoying the sun and air and relaxing.....disappointed in the Talica, gutted about dropping the kingie but makes it all more worth while knowing that hopefully it will be there the next time i go out....Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 1:05pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a good weekend Michael, they have been stonking kings mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 7:07pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 3:27pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Michael- you're giving me hope there- I thought I'd missed out on my Kingy Window as the last time I was there it was dead, dead, dead. Was that three kingies each those fellas took or one each? You only really need one fish don't cha hey? I can only hope its people who dont get a chance to fish often. Good to hear there are decent KY about, I made a KY Biryani and it was (wait for it) aaaaawesoooome. Best Fish for the job I say. I headed out to AB Sunday morning- to be met by a veritable armada of yaks at the parking lot. I was uhming and ah-ing as to whether I'd fancy my odds amongst the competition, and when I realised I'd left my Kayak trolley behind I took it as a sign and headed to a quieter spot. Bit more chop, but compared to what Ive been dealing with over the past few months it was a float in the park, so to speak. Fishing was hard though, a lot of hunting for not much action. Got two late thirties fish and lost a mid-fifty at the boat. On closer inspection the jig hook had developed a micro recurve on it. I was happy to see him kick off strongly after he/she realised they'd been let off the hook. Pwaa haa!  i must stop it now... Man, if this weather continues I might just have to bring in my yak and go for a late arvo Bays mission!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 6:47pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good to hear you got out Yves, and into some fish.

A guy at work was off AB in the weekend (boat) and they got their limit after a couple of hours.....just had to be in their spot

Im keen for an afterwork mish on the bays - but cant do Friday this week - can be home about 5pm to load up and head down to the beach.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 9:08pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard luck on the big kingis michael. I ve broken couple of rods on them over the years. One was a 24 kg game rod left in rod holder and acidentally left on strike rather than freespool on ratchet. Lost fish as well, had hung a big piper overside by my prop. Other was beautiful sabre jig rod rated 6-8 kg fishing a whole yellowtail on leigh reef. Certainly those big kings earn your respect in such incidents and make us wiser and better prepared next time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 8:31am
Platinum
Platinum

Good job Yves, glad you're snooping out the local spots for us mate! I'm thinking of an early local mish on Saturday, I've got heaps to do during the day so have to be back ready for normal operations mid morning latest. I think by then the wind might have come up anyway. If it gets any worse than currently forecast I'll just go for a paddle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 1:45pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah man, me either- now got a tree to trim and and clean up after, plumbers' in to fix a leak and then prepare for my oldest's birthday bash. Funny how family schedules can change on a dime! I hope to get out early still on Sunday morning, just wont be able to go far. Feel free to pm me secret locations! Will keep ya posted as to next week. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 3:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Ha! no such thing as a secret location in Auckland Yves! Although I was thinking about your old spot on the south side which is usually good for a few pannies. Haven't seen or heard of any workups on our side as yet, so might still be a bit early. 
Sounds like your Saturday is pretty full on, we're having a do that night as well, hence the list of chores to be done that morning. Although I hope to spend a bit of the arvo sorting the ham out on the BBQ with a few coldies....mmm...haaaam...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 8:37pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Saw a window in the weather this morning so went in search of kings.

Launched just after 5am and as soon as I had 3 lives I put the first out.
5 mins later and zzzzzzzz strike but hook pulled.
Next livie and zzzzzz again it pulled. Lots of sign showing.
Next livie out and after 10 mins I checked and it had been swiped.

Loaded up again and deployed. It was getting light now and I saw 2 big kingis circling.
Zzzzzzzzz I'm in for sure, zzzzzz on my sabiki- kak, double kak. 2 kingies on. I tried to retrieve my sabiki one but started to get spooled. Upped the drag and of course snap. My other reel with the livie had been screaming out the back in the opposite direction, I put the pressure on but nothing. Must have spat it.
Remember something Dan said about not doing both at the same time.......ok. I learnt my lesson.

7am now and I changed up the hook size hoping I could get one to stick.
9bar O with s slight offset.

10 mins later zzzzzzzzzz wait, wait, wait and strike. Yes. Stuck. This gush had some power. I was continually getting railed, this thing was pulling line, I back off the drag slightly and the fight began. A good 7 or 8 mins and arms aching. .., colour. It was a fatty. 3 m away from the yak and SNAP!!!!! My rod snapped just past the second eye up from the reel.

I start pulling braid with my hands, fish was tiring, no more big runs. Hit the leader around my hands and struggled as it flayed around.
Reached for the gaf, landed.
Only 80cm but fat.
No rod now so called it a day.
Back at the beach before 8 and home by 9am.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 8:40pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 9:04pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 8:06am
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Brent...i know your pain in regards to busting your rod, but you got him in the end old style Thumbs Up......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 10:12am
Gold
Gold

CARNAGE! Both rods buggered on on one outing...now we know what you'll be getting yourself for christmas ay :-) Well done for landing him in the end. Sunday's excursion for me  was more resistance training really,wind and current working together horribly.  Thankfully picked up 3 plump Snaps and a Trev for my efforts
Page  <1 581582583584585 849>