Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 479480481482483 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:04pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Biggest was nudging 40cm, I reckon the the burley that Muppet recommended from Gofish was the secret. 
Fillets will be done in beer batter tonight. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:12pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:11pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ive had rat kingis around the back of a small tinnie and they weren't taking the live baits we had set. Threw a handful of whole cooked shrimps in and they gobbled them up. Put a hook in the back of one and threw that amongst them....waiting...waiting...they had a good sniff but wouldn't take the shrimp with the hook...bugger. 
They did love them though. Raw would be better, and I bet the snapps would be in too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:24am
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

To go with Dan and Brent, a good day on the water....while I only caught 3 they were all over 40 and nice and fat...excellent fillets off them all.....still a couple of tricks to pick up.....and got to keep an eye on the burley bucket make sure it stays that 1m off the bottom.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:53am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done, they are solid gurnard for the east coast. I might have to join you for a gurnard raid soon! One of my favorite eating fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 4:50pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some nice reports coming through there fellas- Snaps from the North and Carrots from the East- well done on snagging yours with the softies Brent! I snuck out on a short squid mission (had to try out the new rod!) and came back with 4 fatties for dinner...The biggest even pulled some string!okay, okay I had the drag set waaaay back but still :-)

Interesting findings on the day: spin reels dont like overhead reel braid. At all. Spin reels dont cast well with wind knots. Spin reel needs roller bearing service to stop chronic line twist!  I picked up one on the new rod, and the action is perfect- sensitive and soft at the tip, some grunt given 2/3rds  through. Once I found the spot and changed over to my overhead outfit -  it was pretty much into a squid per cast. Happy Days!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 5:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:34pm
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was out on Saturday night.... Had close encounter with something big in the water... It was too dark to see, but it smashed surface and did some mess (smashes) for 4-5 sec. It caused waves about 50cm in height. Assuming it was 15-20 meters out of me. The depth was there around 15m. Any ideas what it could be?
It scared me quite a lot, so I paddled out of that place to more shallow waters Confused

Have you ever encountered something similar? Could it be Shark or Orca ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:50pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What area were you in? Doesnt sound like something a shark would do on the surface. Might of been a big kingie smashing the bait. awesome to watch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:50pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Scary stuff. Did you hook it?

What area were you in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:52pm
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It was around Kotanui island (Franchsman's cap - Whangaparaoa)

Muppet: Seal hunted by shark ?!?! Ermm
BFIST: No, sorry mate... didn't hooked it... if, then I wouldn't be here I assume :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:58pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No need for envy Dan and you are right..very tasty fish...got a nice couple of fillets left over for thai green curry I think.

hmm travis always can get a bit dicey out on your own when the sun goes down...did you have lights etc going???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 9:04pm
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Michael: Yes, I had light on mate... and yes I know it is more adventure, but had to try ;) I'm taking it as a warning... Next time with somebody, that is for sure!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:13pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Travis79 Travis79 wrote:

Michael: Yes, I had light on mate... and yes I know it is more adventure, but <span id="userPro9613" ="msgSidePro" title="View Drop Down"></span>had to try ;) I'm taking it as a warning... Next time with somebody, that is for sure!

If I'm going alone for a change of light fish, I prefer the morning so if things go wrong more chance of a rescue.
Saying that, i understand the calling to just get out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lemonshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:36pm
Lemonshot View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey looking into getting new soft bait setup any ideas on what you guys would recommend and kg of braid?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:18am
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My advice would be to start with a basic setup. Something like a shimano symetre or the likes. You can usually get a set up for around $200 brand new. Look after thay and it will last you at least a couple of years. Ideally a 2500 sized reel for where we fish. Then once your hooked, you can upgrade.

In terms of braid. I usually use fireline as its been good to me in the past but there are other lines people recommend such as powerpro. You want to go as light as you can as you'll get more bites, maybe start off with 8-10lb. Fluorocarbon seems to be the way to go for your leader, use 15-20 lb for that.

I like gulps for my baits, they don't last as long as zmans but find they are more productive when it's slow. Get a mix of both and start with gulp but if the fishing is hot, switch to zman's. 5 inch jerk baits are a good place to start in sapphire shine, lime tiger & new penny. Smaller baits will be more effective at this time of the year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 11:47am
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I haven't mentioned the rod. I'm not sure about this as I had a normal 7 foot 6 Backbone elite softbait rod which was fine when using it on the kayak. However it snapped in half when a big kahawai dove under the kayak at the last minute.

I'm now looking into a shorter softbait rod atm to avoid this happening in the future but haven't settled on anything yet.

Some of the other guys on here might have some suggestions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 12:20pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a range of softbait and inchiku rods (spin and overhead) which I use out of boat and kayak. I think in total there's about 8 in garage at moment, which is too many -but I am a tackle nut.  My favourites for yak are a bit shorter than those I use in the boat. In boat I tend to use spin rods like 7 foot 6 backone elite and old blue shimano starlo (great for bigger fish) unless fisihng vertically with jigs -in which case go overhead with 6ft 6 diawa saltist (soft action) being my  favourite for inchikus in deeper water.
In the yak where I mainly fish shallow (softbait and bait) I,ve gone almost exclusively to the shorter shimano 6 ft 6 STS nano for spin, but have recently been enjoying great success (especially on bait in recent weeks)  with  one of Gofish's bright orange overhead  Hearty Rise light jig rods -it's only 6 foot.  Both rods are shorter -slightly less hook setting length at distance - but plenty of power and in my opinion easier to manage a fish when close to yak. 
Having said that have ajust procured a 7 ft 6 nano STS overhead that I might have to be trial this arvo ECB from Yak.
Guess we are really spoilt for tackle choice and some pretty iresistable deals on rods at moment. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lemonshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 5:10pm
Lemonshot View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys might have to go for a shop around
Page  <1 479480481482483 849>