Places to go whitebaiting in Auckland?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaimoanacowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Places to go whitebaiting in Auckland?
    Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 3:13pm
Kaimoanacowboy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

I have been wanting to go whitebaiting since I was a child but have never been so thought I would get amongst it this season.

Does anybody know of any decent productive place which are in or around Auckland?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
KMCB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the_dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 6:14pm
the_dude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have been exactly the same way. Whitebaiting is always something I have wanted to try. Something about the river bank, the stealth, the lack of movement (ie you have your spot and don't move far from it) and the general totally Kiwi side of it. It looks like relaxation plus!

I have a mate whose family is from the Coro. We were given about 2kg's of 'out of the water that day' whitebait a few years ago. Amazing times using whitebait for every meal like it was like any food. The bonus is, that my mates dad is happy to take me baiting. Just need to find the time (that works for us both).

Why do I say this?

1) because there is Whitebait on the Coro but you really need to know where to go. And whitebaiters are even more previous than fisherman about prime spots. You could at least try there (with the right research of course) and come up trumps. The Coro could be worth a shot.

2( The Naki is very popular for it. This place here I have been meaning to rent for some time. Mokau is meant to be the whitebait mecca of the North Island. If you are prepared to drive and rent a house for $85/night, I know you can rent spots to try it from. In fact, I am sure this bach did theirs in the past.

It definitely is something I want to pursue.

Finally, an e-mail regarding the Coro from my mate this week. may be worth keeping in mind.

"Whitebaiting, is currently off the agenda as dad is working on a fishing boat and he's out for a few weeks.  He said last week that there are a few enunga's amongst them so the best is past.  I can aks him after he's back in though.
Yeah once the enunga's start appearing then the best of the season is done.  Just re-read an email dad sent and he said now that he is out fishing his whitebaiting season is over.  There might still be more coming in but I'll have to ask once he's back.

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the_dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 6:15pm
the_dude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

And the link to the Mokau place....whoops.

Reason why I reckon this looks so likely is that you can see where the set ups are and get yourself a platform for the duration. Definitely a good start.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 7:04pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Try Devonport Wharf.
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaimoanacowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 7:27pm
Bronze
Bronze

Dude - thanks heaps for your pointers and advice on where to try. Might investigate into the coro area me thinks! Good excuse to get out of Auckland :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaimoanacowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 7:28pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Bender, will give it a crack :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 7:42pm
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Port Waikato
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 8:49pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The devonport wharf whitebait is the second class stuff like baby sprats etc. It would have 1 out of every 1000 that is real whitebait, so there is no season on the stuff, ie if its running you can catch it. One of the old guys in the white truck that will be there everyday, sends the stuff to his family down Haast & they love it because it has more flavour, YEP all that beautiful waitemata sparkling seasoning LOL They get lots there now, because it comes down through the Naval Base where we have been banned to catch it due to some clowns a couple of years ago ruining it for everyone. All the best out there with your hunt KC.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 8:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The Waikato River is the place to be.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ski  da mofo!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 9:01pm
ski da mofo!! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

found the spring or higher tides best at devonport wharf outgoing ,mid morning so the light shines slightly under the wharf.locals tend to lie  their poles across "their patch and return when tide starts to run had some good catches around christmas their .keep us updated ive still got me pole and could be keen when theyre runnin!
BIG FISH IS WHERE ITS AT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 9:23pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah you gotta beat the sparrows to beat the locals, but a longer pole than their ones will stretch out from the side & snatch a couple before they clean the shoals up. It still tastes nice no matter the type & area Pig The wharf is currently blocked off to traffic now, due to it being a piece of S**t, so i think foot traffic only. I'll have a look on my way to work unless one of the locals on here know. Will try to remember an update in the future Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaimoanacowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 12:38am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all your input guys, its nice to have a couple of places to try :)

KC
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ski  da mofo!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 8:47am
ski da mofo!! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ps sweeten up your fritters with some sweetcorn!
BIG FISH IS WHERE ITS AT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 5:33pm
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Theres always someone whitebaiting inthe river above Tairua  and some people do it just below the Coroglen  tavern by the stockyards .Have seen some taken in Mother browns creek in the middle of Whitianga.also seen them whitebaiting in the river by the Whangapoua hall
I step out my door to paradise on earth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paulylovesfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:01pm
paulylovesfishing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

one place I know is good is south head its about 20 mins from parakai lovely place got a kilo last time I tried

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pennyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 3:13pm
pennyless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The creek at bethells has white bait running in it
The wife said if i go fishing one more time she will leave me, god i'm going to miss her
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaimoanacowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 8:32pm
Bronze
Bronze

Primo, cheers for that everyone, will keep me busy this coming weekend me thinks :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jerry69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 8:49pm
jerry69 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you have a whitebait net head out to Waiuku Forest (nice drive) and walk the beach to the river mouth. I have fished there for Ky and trevs and have seen plenty of people catching whitebait. It does get crowded when they are running but plenty of beach for everyone. Nice spot and a good way to kill a day. Killer walk back up the sand dunes though. oh and take a rod and reel can be awesome fishing!!