Marsden Point

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marsden Point
    Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 7:46pm
shoby View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We went last week to Marsden Point. My first time there, was quite excited. Heard a lot of fish there just under the wharf which turned out to be 100% true. We caught over 2 dozen kahawais most of them released. Caught around 6 trevs which were not huge, just over legal. we were using half pillies with usual surf casting rigs.
Sorry no pics, it was raining most of the day.

Overall a nice day out away from work. Have to go back there again to catch bigger trevs!!

Is there anyone here who fish that point regularly?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 7:56pm
rocko View Drop Down

used to fish up there all the time.. ( whg my hometown ).... get a feed of pipi while you there bro?..... some bigger trevs get caught further along off the bank ( along the channel ) be bring the tub up that way in few weeks once the snaps start spawning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 8:33pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I didn't think you were allowed to fish there any more?

Some big kingis around the wharf, but landing them is another matter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OBR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 8:44pm
OBR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yea you can fish the beach and the little warf but not the big one, thats been closed off

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 8:45pm
rocko View Drop Down

the monkeys built a pontoon adjacent to the extended log terminal tho it doesn't venture as far into the channel as the old wharf...ive seen some big kingy,s under the pipes around the concrete pile,s as you say rusky.. a sucessfull attempt is pretty remote.. easy to get feed of KY for the smoker....tho i wouldn't rule out putting out a livie off the beach tho   signs along the beach @ low tide shown fish mooching the sand during high tide...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 2:59pm
Michael Jenkins View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by shoby shoby wrote:

We went last week to Marsden Point. My first time there, was quite excited. Heard a lot of fish there just under the wharf which turned out to be 100% true. We caught over 2 dozen kahawais most of them released. Caught around 6 trevs which were not huge, just over legal. we were using half pillies with usual surf casting rigs.
Sorry no pics, it was raining most of the day.

Overall a nice day out away from work. Have to go back there again to catch bigger trevs!!

Is there anyone here who fish that point regularly?

Was that off of the pontoon or casting into the channel furthur 'round to the right at low tide?

I've fished the pontoon several times, can fish really well for mackrel in the evenings, also pleanty of dorey there in summer, have burleyed a few decent trevs up by chunking pillies on the down current side, but couldn't land anything from a couple of hook up and they just went strait for the wharf piles.

I'll be having a go at the beach furthur down from the pontoon tomorow afternoon, and taking shellfish for bait too, do trevs like flasher rigs?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 3:32pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep trevs love the flasher rigs Whizzzz, use to always nail them in the main channel near the entrance.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 5:39pm
shoby View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by rocko rocko wrote:

used to fish up there all the time.. ( whg my hometown ).... get a feed of pipi while you there bro?..... some bigger trevs get caught further along off the bank ( along the channel ) be bring the tub up that way in few weeks once the snaps start spawning

Nah mate didn't pick pipis at all although saw lots of people/families picking their share. I was too busy fishingSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 5:42pm
shoby View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was fishing off the beach to the right and was casting towards pillars. We did see kingis chasing bait.....very tempting! mate was telling me that March & April is a good season for catching bigger trevs off that point.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 5:43pm
rocko View Drop Down

pays to get feed while ya there as well bro.. that way if no fish at least ya dont go home empty handed ...im wondering if the tuatua are still along the side of mair bank
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 5:49pm
shoby View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I totally agree with you mate. Is there any legal limit to the size n quantity for pipis?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 6:18pm
rocko View Drop Down

im not sure on size but limit is 150 per person ,personally i wouldn't take any under 50 mm as they be to small once you shell them..then again you gota find the empty shells when i throw them back once ive picked a bag im usually too full to carry them back ..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 8:24pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive always been amazed at the size of the pipis on that bank, and tuatuas as well in amongst them.  Last time I was there was in a thunderstorm and one of the bolts of lightning struck a boat, that made the hairs on my neck stand up!  Luckily no one was in it at the time.

Going for a scollie dive tomorrow in the harbour, and maybe a dive along the coast for some bugs if that swell isn't wraping around the heads.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 3:14pm
Michael Jenkins View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went and fished there on friday evening, pleanty of kahawai and trevally, but they were largely juvenile ones (we put a couple of better ky we caught early on back hoping that we'd catch bigger later on) mate hooked into something decent that managed to find a wharf pile and bust off, possibly a small king as the older asian couple that were there said they'd caught and released a 52cm one.

went again on sat morning at dawn, more juveniles, mate got one decent trev 40 sumthing odd cm, had some guys come along in a 4wd fishing whilst playing mai FM pretty loud, mariah carrey and craig david just aren't good fishing music...   they put out a kahawai livebait but instead of a baloon or float or sinker or having it free running they had a 1/2 squashed waikato draft can tied on at the swivel Confused, it got nailed though...

...by a shag! LOL

came back again for the evening, the spot we fished the other times was taken up by a guy teaching his little son how to fish, cast etc, so we went a bit furthur over to the left and gave enough room so that lines wouldn't cross or fish wouldn't run over lines in the strong current, then along comes this asian bloke with his 3 sons and parks themselves (4 rods) between the 2 groups and then they proceed to cross over everyones lines and use sinkers which were too small to hold in the current to throw out small hooks then decided to keep every kahawai that came in from 35cm down to piddly 15cm and they caught lots too, really peeved me off. was kinda hoping to see them take an undersized trev so i could have reported them, or had a go at them or something, but they just caught and killed juvenile kahawai hand over fist and as the fishing regulations currently sit there's nothing that's illegal about that (pleanty that's wrong with it though).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 4:05pm
rocko View Drop Down

oh no stir fly flish... small flish make sushi plenty.......... thats where you walk along and oops watchc ya gear people.. as you foot slips outwards.....

The Mai FM clan was da brudda,s come all da ways down to da norf for smo0m fishng............

good spot for the bronzies under those pipes too....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 4:40pm
shoby View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good on ya mate getting out there. Could be crowdy ayeSmile But everyone is a happy fisherman taking feed of fish..Mate of mind already reported few guys on takin undersize kingie about month agoThumbs%20Down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 4:44pm
rocko View Drop Down

shocking.......it does get crowded there.. especaily during summer every man/woman/dog/cat/village is on that beach...

met David@ clarkes this afternoon, very quiet and windy... didnt even get nibbles after 1-1/2 hours
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 4:48pm
shoby View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At least you guys were out there mateThumbs%20Up....fish is always a bonus!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 4:52pm
rocko View Drop Down

fish yes, wet feet cold bum no bites...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrqt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 9:17pm
mrqt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All
My understanding is that for the Auckland region the pipi limit is only 50 but outside that, including Marsden Pt, the limit is 150. I was up there about a month ago and was really annoyed that people drove their 4x4s  along the beach from near Ruakaka to get pipis.  What's wrong with parking near the refinery and walking to the pt? In the early 70's I worked at the refinery and had access to the jetty. Some nights fishing consisted of a stick with a piece of string, a wire for a hook and some white material. Great for yellowtail. Basic but it worked. Have fun. MRQT.