cray pots

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pomahaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cray pots
    Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 9:14pm
pomahaka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone got  a plan or photo of a good sized cray pot with measurements  that 2 people can pull easily up? im thinking of building a couple while the weather is crap at work

also any tips to  why some  pots fish better than others

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 9:30pm
rocko View Drop Down

I,ve heard lining the pot,s with flax helps, imatates  dark crevies..maybe it my have to do with the material the pot is made from?? crays ivehad have been caught using old fasioned wooden pots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramprage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 10:10pm
ramprage View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I make cray pots all the time. I made mine 900x800, and the reason i made mine that size is so when carting them in my Surtee's I can stack two beside each other. I make mine out of timber and use cray mesh to cover them. I purchase my plastic pot entrance, feeder ropes and buoys, and cray mesh etc, from Quality Equipment in Hillside Rd Glenfield. I screw my pots together with stainless screws. I also mark my buoys using cattle ear tags, so the name doesn't come off and is held on using an electrical tie. Concrete curbstones (2 x 70mm wide one's )
are used to anchor it to to bottom. I have a cray davit to lift the pot,s so I don't scratch the boat and every Xmas for two weeks, I get between 15 to 20 cray,s using 4 pots on average. Two are mine and two are my sons, I have 6 all told, and the reason I only put out 4 is that cray's are so rich you easily get sick of them, and I give half of them away. About to make more for my son in law who keeps asking for me to make him some.
When the going gets tough...the tough
keep going
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pennyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 7:48am
pennyless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ramprage what to make couple for me LOL
The wife said if i go fishing one more time she will leave me, god i'm going to miss her
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pomahaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 5:39pm
pomahaka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

never thought of making them out of timber was going to weld up a frame what size timber do you use?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramprage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 8:54pm
ramprage View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steel gives of a static charge, just like hopping out of your car with nylon seats. ( thats what ive been told) and crays don't go near your pot. 2x1 batten and boric 's ok, due to the salt water pickles the timber, ive heard untreated timbers ok, but after this leaking homes thing I dont think iI would try it. when ever untreated timber got near water it dissolved like a disprin
When the going gets tough...the tough
keep going