Blue moki

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue moki
    Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 10:02am
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heya guys how about a trophy for these ? last night i caught the biggest Blue moki I have ever seen and i caught it in Wellington harbour it weight in at 9.1kg, thats right 9.1kg it was 90cm long, 29cm deep and 11cm thick i have some pictures i will post when i get them back and tomorrow it will be heading for the taxidermist for mounting :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter.Sea. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 10:15am
Peter.Sea. View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi ya stormbringer, welcome to the forum. look forward to seeing pictures of the big bugger.

P.C.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 10:17am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

By Moki, Stormbringer. Nice! I can't wait to see either!
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 10:20am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good going Stormmy!!!

Answer me this peoples....why is it that divers always come back from the splash saying "there were heaps of moki down there?"

Why the hell haven't I ever caught one?

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 10:32am
Platinum
Platinum

its true though divers do see a heck of a lot of moki when your diving i know from experience but you never seem to get that many when you fish for them in exactly the same spot as you see them :) what make this one amazing is where i caught it, i dont know if any of you know wellington but i got it along a small stretch of road called cobham drive which is near the airport
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 10:46am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Stormbringer welcome........ thats one hellava Blue Moki mate....... congrates on a excellent catch.....

they used to be everywhere in the old days even in the AK Harbour around Waiheke i speared a few off Matiatia Bay dont think you would see any now in the harbour........

do you see many Copper Moki these days ????????

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 11:16am
Platinum
Platinum

thanks guys for the welcome :) yes you do still see the odd copper but very few and far between :(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 12:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

hey does anyone have any idea on what the record is for a blue moki ? not that it does me any good as i'm not in a club so i couldnt claim it even if it was, would just like to know how close it is :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 12:39pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stormbringer....

you can claim records without being part of a club......will just cost you loads to get eh application processed....We (NZBGFC) don't hold records for Blue Moki and nor do the IGFA.

Perhaps seek advice from NZCA -

Look Here
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 12:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

sweet thanks for the info Kerren i have sent them an email to find out a bit more info :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 3:37pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The NZ spearfishing record is 10.22kg for Blue Moki taken in Wellington in 1958. Id say thats gotta be a bloddy good fish by todays standards Stormbringer...well done.

Ive seen spots on the south coast where schools of up to 20 5-8# fish will school around you with the odd big boy hanging out wider.

I accidentily shot a copper moki off Kapiti last year in the North Island Champs, that was the first Id ever seen and just assumed it was a standard Blue... Shame!, for the Moki and for us, would of ment 2nd place.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2003 at 7:28pm
Platinum
Platinum

sweet i just found out it breaks the nz all line record by about 1kg :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2003 at 8:32am
Eric de Vries View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stormbringer

Jim Mikoz emailed me and among many others these 2 pics of your fantastic Blue Moki catch.
If you' d like I can post the pics here on this forum subject.

Let me know if I can help.

eric
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2003 at 11:14am
Platinum
Platinum

that would be great Eric, its not a bad fish aye :) yeah Jim has been very helpful ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2003 at 12:38pm
Eric de Vries View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stormbringer.

great fish. I have found tho that the 'older' ones dont actually taste that nice. younger ones taste better......fish that is

a fish to be proud of.

eric

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2003 at 4:59pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Moki there Mr stormbringer ,very nice 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2003 at 11:26am
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome catch Stormbringer. Thats a big fish. I hadn't seen this thread earlier as I usually have no reason to wander into the 'Trophy Cabinet'! Steve Reed mentioned this fish to me about a week ago. Good to see some pics and hear from the captor. He said you were chasing snapper....not a bad by-catch! Keep up the good skills. Must have been a hell of a fight.

Mars

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2003 at 11:56am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

WOW
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2003 at 5:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

hehehe Mars its not a bad one aye :) it was a good battle 20 minutes :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stuibg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 6:50am
stuibg View Drop Down
New User
New User

Check:  http://fishingaccessories.biz it is really cool
Page  12>