Broadbill rig/tactics

Page  <1234 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 5:45pm
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice diagrams Cam dog similar to how we do it. Not sure bout the 250lb trace though
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Game fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 7:06pm
Game fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Riga You heading out of Tauranga? I got some good squid from the Sanfords fish shop there they were a good bite size and fresh which I is also a key. What sized boat you heading out in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ski  da mofo!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 7:53pm
ski da mofo!! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i prefer a breakaway sinker  cause last thing ya want is 20 odd oz of lead flinging around in a headshake situation possibly pulling the hook out...
great to hear all the enthusiasm amongst the net ..get out there and have a go i know ive still got unfinished business with mr gladius....
BIG FISH IS WHERE ITS AT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 8:10pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yer id have my sinker on a #32 rubber band was the plan, I like your thinking ski
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 8:16pm
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we have tried before with limited results out of tauranga, going to get out as soon as possible round mayor ways, found some reasonable areas over the summer months, we have been using empty 440 woodstock cans full of sand with a rubberband through the tab - abit cheaper than sinkers and its definately fun organising enough for a trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 9:00pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers camdog for the diagrams think we are gona use something like the first diagram except with the sinker above the bait so it gives it a more natural look and the sword won't be able to resist

hi gamefish yeh we gna be headn out of tauranga towards the mayor knolls area so will be headn into sanfords for sure to source some squidys fresher the better too i reckon hopefully yeh can get a few live ones out there too cheers for the tip, we gna be headn out in a 6.7 surtees

break away sinker aye ski, **** that could get very expensive haha but the reasoning is very valid thou, may use something like what insignia was describing like a couple of old rusty spanners or something similar, still got a bit of time for planning that yet

i'v been looking at a few hooks and we are thinking along thelines of a 13/0 J hook, hoping for the fish to take the hook down and hook up on a hard part of the fish, what are your thoughts on that size and style of hook?

loving all the advice we are getn cheers fullas

Ryan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ski  da mofo!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 9:39pm
ski da mofo!! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

mutu hooks 14/0
BIG FISH IS WHERE ITS AT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 6:00am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go the super mutu'sThumbs%20Up
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 8:00am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks for the input on this one wolly, its great to actually hear from someone who has caught them.
reading your thread we are more or less on the same page so it good to know we are doing it right, we have tried all thios on our own as there are not alot of people who go out and do it, rather they say what we should be doing lol.

with the sinker guys, i have talked to a few charter boys, they were saying bollocks to break away sinkers and said if your concerned with the hook being thrown then have the sinker fixxed in the bait so the whole lot gets take, only tried it once and found it a pain, so have it a meter or so up the leader.

yes the wire leader thing, was chatting a while back to a skipper who said they got a broady one night that was sliced right open from the mouth and part way down the body, seemed the wire acted as a knife etc etc, seems they dont give up?

yes the slipping of the bait onto the hook specially squid, yip have had it happen, have set the hook up in the mantel only now and it has not happened since.

keep the info coming guys, have been around but am learning heaps,

recon one weekend we should do the hell trip and nail the patch and the parenga canyons, what say you all. have the hell party at tom bowlings lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote woollyok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 8:45am
woollyok View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Blue A

no worries at all, as I said I'm absolutely no expert and as you said you never stop learning.......... ever,

I don't run breakaway's either, just used 3 -4 oz ball sinkers taped to the leader, not one big hap sinker...then you can vary the amount of weight depending on the wind/drift.... if you get a good night your bait itself will be enough... to me it's like stray lining the less weight required the better it is ??? then the fish doesn't feel a bunch of weight when he grabs the bait... etc .... but the best option is a downrigger, 100m of wire and a good size weight then band it off and no weight at the bait at all. Bit of a pain if running light bands as they can let go but hey same as a bite from a stick face live baiting better to change a band all night but get a good bite than have the fish drop the bait due to to much weight... ????

like your idea about g patch and canyons then a party up there somewhere fryin up sword steaks on the bbq......Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 9:04am
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey BA and woollyok, decided i will use a system similar to what you two have described and basically have a big strayline out like you do for snapper except for a sword, with as woollyok mentioned the smaller the sinker the better and we may rig up a homemade type downrigger, managed to source a 25kg box of fresh squid for 60 bucks so will have plenty left over for snapper straylining haha

just gota get some hooks and some heavy leader and hope that the wethter plays ball

being learning heaps over the last few days cheers fullas keep it coming

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Game fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 9:19am
Game fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where you get your box of squid from there riga?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote camdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 9:29am
camdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Those diagrams are used in the day time for fishing down deep out of Florada, a few thousand feet sort of thing, they also are only catching little broadys, with most under 100 pound hence the light leader and small hooks. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 10:55am
Titanium
Titanium

makes good sence camdog, hey riga i was going to lend you a 9/0 pen with heavy line it is set up on a 2m bent outrigger and stiff as, i ran a 10lb ball off it, makes for a very cheap down rigger and can be stored away or cut away lol if you have too.

yes woolly recon we should sort out a weekend and do it, recon we could get a few to tow up, best thing i feel about the area up here is the travel distance over water, true the tow up is a buger but then so is paying alot for fuel to travel from say omaha just to get there, the other point is the fact that the canyons and the patch are 1 huge playgound with unlimited oppurtunity.

hey riga good to see you have the baits but take a squid jig with you, if they are about you wont be sorry you have one, have rigged a few squid as livies and fresh is best.

good luck to you guys doing it, i get a blast being out there but have had pooy undies when whales pass you by in the middle of the night.

cant wait to do it again, its just a matter of time and weather.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 10:04pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey BA and Wolly...  do you mean useing the downrigger while drifting so you dont have to add weight to the main line??  Jim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 10:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

not me mate i only use it to trawl witha nd run a lure at 40m allowing for blow back at 3kts, what worries me doing as you have said is that there is potential for a tangle up with the release clip etc recon you can use a band etc with a tag line but i just like the thought of no real resistance when the lure is hit, when are you going for a looksee jim?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 11:17pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that would have been awesome thanks BA, we may rig up something similar then if we decide to have a troll around, definatly gona take out the squid jig or two, even if we dont need it for bait that night we can use it for another time or for a feed

gamefish we organised the box through the auckland fish market auctions, a 25kg box should last us for awhile

when we are setting up for the drift are we looking to drift over as much structure as possible or is it more of a matter of locating a school of baitfish and setting up a drift through them

chur

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote woollyok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 9:16am
woollyok View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Blue A and Riga...

I use the down rigger drifting as well, I understand what you say about tangles but most nights you have wind of some kind in which case as long as you use a tag line and don't let it down really fast so that the line comes up you are fine, but thats just me, although that is only on nights with enough wind to warrant it, otherwise on a really nice night the bait itself with a small amount of weight is plenty...???

I have never had a problem with the down rigger as I have found on a night with wind you tend to do 1 kn or more drifting.... and the really nice nights where you get no wind (not sure I can remember many) then you can adapt your system....

with structure riga, the way I have done it but may not be right is if it is a sea mount set up to drift over it but have a stooge around also because the bait may be a little way off it if the current is pushing up out away off the top, thats where two lures/baits are ready to go so you can have those out when looking then your other rigs set up ready to go...

then you can set up to drift over the top and into the area of the bait.... the only down side with seamounts is that you can go over them quickly so you spend a lot of your night pulling everything in and re-setting.... but hey thats how it is sleep is minimal  LOL

with canyons I just set up to drift over the edge and have found that the bites have been as you go over the edge not on big flat barron area's, and then you can drift down one side and up the other if the wind/tide will let you....

the other trick back to the baits being rigged up is I have two traces on the go but also at least another two rigged with baits ready to go because when morrie the mako turns up and you loose all your gear then it is not much fun re-tying traces and rigging baits at 2 -3 in the morn. Rig them up and put them on ice then it is a quick change over...

I wantto go NOW.......... LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 9:56am
Titanium
Titanium

some more good oil right there, thanks woolly, i see what your saying about the down rigger and drift, we were out at the cavali eamount a few weeks back now and in 8 hrs drifted 1.74nm set it all up to go nice over the ridge we approached and turned around lol, all the bait was on the other side.

hey riga we did a run over the knights rise wow what a place, any ways bait and all squid was from 200m to the surface and the whole screen was red, bloody awesome because of the amount of squid we elected to tow a lure and had a shot, block your ears cause these babies haul rrrrs.

for those who have never tried it or think its boring etc, give it a crack, you will see what i mean.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 11:24pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

chur woolly and BA, gona be at the mayor knolls which if im correct are a series of rises so will be hoping to setup a drift to cover as many of the rises as possible before having to relocate again, and if we go find some bait just keep drifting over top of that with the sea anchor out doing its thing

hope we get to experiance some of the bait and other goings on that the rest of you have reported while drifting overnight

can't wait to hear the reel scream
Page  <1234 6>