Broadbill rig/tactics

Page  123 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broadbill rig/tactics
    Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 7:53pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all, thought I would try and gain some your expert knowledge in the area of broadbill, all the talk of broadbill lately has got us excited so we are planning to head out for a night or two on the weekend of the 21st in the mayor knolls area if the weather looks good for our first broadbill mission.
Been doing a bit of research on here but wanting to clarify a few things regarding the terminal tackle used, and the type of rig to use? is the basic set up a ledger rig type or more of a strayline type rig, and the hook size somewhere between 12/0 and 16/0? and all on about 500lb leader?

Alot of questions I know but we have never done this before and would appreciate any advice!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:04pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have not got one yet but managed to drop 5 in a couple of nights,

leader was 600lb 6m long but now 3m long and 500lb.

hooks are the biggest i could get, either super mutus circle or a monster J

bait is sewn on to leader and hook.

light stick just 1m above bait as is the sinker which is taped in place.

80lb tiagras on bent butts

lures same as for marlin and on 400lb light stick about 1m in front of lure and set on a down rigger,

more will come to mind, as i say a few hook ups with 1 to the boat in 40mins and then blew us a way in seconds pulling the hook 2 1/2 hours later bummer, lots of fun for sure and nothing fights like em.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:09pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers BA, yeh they sound like awesome fighting fish for sure and it makes it all the harder when its at night time, all in the thrill of the moment, why have you gone to the shorter leader? is it just to make it easier to handle near the boat? the rig you explained sounds like what i thought we would give a try, we will be stoked if we have as many bites as you have had? what baits are the best to use and is it a case of bigger is better?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:20pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we were going to have a drift at queens birthday but weather wasnt right, my bro scored some nice fresh big ass squid from the sandfords, we were going to use 400lb leader with 16/0 J hooks sowen on or even cable tied with light stick rubber banded on bout 1.5m up the leader, 80lb line class and reels, standup too, set baits at 30m and 80m with weights and a #32 rubber band as a break away, with the 80m bait as we dont have a down rigger was going to lower a good size weight tied on a rope to 80m with a #32 rubber band once hit pull the weight in and get into it,  still hoping to get out there for our first crack up that was along the lines we were going to do as our tactics 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:23pm
Titanium
Titanium

sorry mate the shorter leader now is because i use windons can still run the long ones as well, the best baits have been skippies but for god sake dont cut em etc squid are good too and usually can be caught on site and riiged live, no i dont think size matters, reason i say this is i have talked to people who use live jack macs for them as well as dead buggers.

just make sure the hook is well exposed and is set long ways on the body of the fish with the point facing back at the tail. when i said we sew them we use a cable tie at the tail with a half hitch, reason is we want the hook to pull from the bait and travel along body of bait, the hope it to either gut hook or choke the broady, big J hooks are the best for this, like i say no expert just talked to the man doing it and putting time on the water into it, if its a bit snotty tow a lure or 3 you can still tow em with sinkers if you aint go a down rigger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

when i was talking about the bait mate the hook is set in front of the dorsal fin and facing forward unlike a live bait set up, when your towing lures mate boat just in gear is the ticket the take is like no other, you will swear you are hooked up on weed, till you go to retrive the lure lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:38pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

awesome guys keep it coming please, chaffing at the bit to get out there now just a few more exams to go

saltiga we will be using the same gear as you and without a downrigger, when using the weight with the rope is their a fairly high chance that the two will tangle at all? never thought of sourcing bait from sanfords will have to pay them a visit and get some!!

cheers BA been looking at a few larger hooks but they sure arnt cheap, the trolling sounds very interesting especially as you say they all of a sudden just take off when you try to get the lure back haha

can't wait to hear the reel starting to scream if we are luky enough to get a bite, as long as it isnt a shark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:47pm
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hope your plan comes together riga. Expect a full report on your return. I could offer advice but I learnt all I know from BA and he's filling you in. Hell I've been strapped to ine for 6.5 hours and it was pulling harder then than when we first hooked it. Unfortunately the mainline parted but thats why they call it fishing.

The power of a broadie cant be comprehended untill you've been actually been in a sword fightLOL
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 9:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

rigga where abouts are you?

if your in AK i am down there this weekend and have a wee set up you can use if you want to trow a lure, it was a down rigger set up i used to use.

the rope idea sam was saying, is the same really as a down rigger system without the fancy stuff, the line if set up right would be about 2m behing the weight so tangles are non existant, we did the same before i got a down rigger, when setting baits its just a dam big puka bomb set in place, if its too high the whole lot spirals and tangles hence why we have it about 1m or so.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 10:17pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks for the awesome offer BA but unfortunatly im down in dunedin at the moment at uni and won't be back in the good old north island until after exams, i can tell you thou the only thing getn me through these examz is the thought of being hooked up to a nice swordie once they are all over

never ceases to amaze me how generous everyone is on here with info and the lending of gear etc its just awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 10:27am
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Regards rigging the hook. We used a 16 circle and lost a Broady because the bait (squid) got pulled down the line and choked the gap. So be sure to rig them so this can't happen. Bloody shame to wait for the elusive bite and drop it because of this. We rigged the light stick inside the bait and it still got nailed.
Check baits every couple hours as the squid can devastate even their own.
Somebody needs to be on watch all the time. Scary them ships in the dark. You just can't be sure their radar is good enough to pick you up or that they are watching it.
Only tried one night 2 years ago and both bites were on the shallow bait (20 -> 30m) Was a bit snotty so bait was probably even shallower and some think that the boat acts as a fad. The second fish was lost due to mainline failure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote woollyok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 10:38am
woollyok View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well seems that everyone has swords on the brain, but I guess eveyone is still itching for a fight and sword fighting is certinely an experience Wacko.....

I'm no expert but have nailed 4 and been SMOKED by a few others...

Bait seems to be the key, structure is not always enough, and a good indication at this time of the year can be whales/dolphins... although that is probably preachin to the converted...

5 - 600lb mono, no wire as they have soft mouths and wire can wear a hole potentially resulting in pulling the hook...

caught them on squid and skippies, and they don't need to be huge in my book as the thing being able to gulp it down in one go vs chewing on it seems better for me, gut hooked fish are generally a bit easier to tame.... but not always I guess. thing for me is the soft mouth so gut hooked = less chance of a pulled hook hopefully

I shove a light stick into the squid as well as one on the trace as it looks cool LOL and maybe it might help poison the thing dead and assist me, no really just seems like the go thats all???

skippies I sew up as said on here with hook facing tail, hook held in place by a small cotton tie but all the weight coming off the trace tied at the tail so the hook can pull in easier.

I read on here to use BIG hooks but to be honest I never have although that might not be the right way to go?? I use a GOOD 12/0 hook and have caught a them with double hook rigs and also single so I guess it is a work in progress... but why not have two in the bait, might get a better grip LOL

lights stick 1 - 2m up the trace as according to them what knows the sword don't tangle in the trace, although one of the swords was hooked in the anal fin, so that was proved wrong and made for an interesting fight to say the least, 7 and three quater hrs of pain to the angler....

one bait at 80 - 100 m by using a down rigger and one under a balloon on the surface 20 - 30 m down just using the weight of the bait to get it there depending on the drift...

two baits for me, as I have noticed that when you get a hook into one it is less than organised chao's LOL and so only one other rig to clear seems easier for everone else wipin the sleep from there eye's...

once you hook one be aware, some have seemed to think that peru is nice at that time of the year and others have decided they want to get into your sleeping bag and unless you have a top crew with good gaffs and some STRONG cleats don't get fooled into flinging a gaff into it, you will regret it.........Ouch

tried live baits.... seemed that sharks beat them to them, but thats just me.... and watch the sharks also as they seem to be like dodo's at night and just swim to the boat, even the BIG ones, also a bit harder to see them when the start that back flipping rubbish...

tried trolling and had one on which fell off, definitely makes the night more comfortable except if noone else knows what to do and you the skipper are at it all night then the comfort level in my book dimishes... but for sure seems the go with some...

tried in the day with limited success but hey, it is done a lot...

get yourself a GOOD spotlight and preferable a couple of GOOd lights on the rocket launcher etc as I expect it would be interesting trying to gaff one with just a head lamp for light, also makes the fighting easier as the skipper can see the line...

best trick of all get out there on a nice night throw two baits in the water and enjoy the peace as it is an AWESOME feeling being out there on a good night , and hopefully it will be broken.... and then your angler will be Ouch..............

Be sure you eat your weetbix before you go!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 10:59am
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers woollyok awesome info by the sounds of things we gona definatly need a good feed of weetbix and a few redbull and such thrown in for good measure

so basically the skippie is rigged uplike a pillie is when straylining except on a larger scale

what about squid? is it best to plave the hook throught he head/eye hard area and then tie the main part of the body onto the hook and leave the tentacles dangling out nicely?

also as a last resort if all the skippies and bait has disapeared has  anyone used a whole kahawai to any effect, as i can imagine squid out there chewing through a bit of bait

also sounds as if you guys all encounter a swordy everytime you head out, just hope that we can have a chance to do battle with the king of the sea 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote *stu* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 11:40am
*stu* View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How about this one.  I haven't done it but stumbled on this a while ago.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 12:07pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice one STU,  thats an excellent presentation :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 12:15pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeh it looks the goods for sure thanks stu, only thing is that to place the leader through the mantle of the squid you would have to cut the leader off the swivel and then recrimp it each time you hade to rebait, or you could just place the leader along side the mantle and tie it in place using the same method

cheers ryan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 12:23pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you wont have to cut the leader thimble off, just cut a bigger hole in the mantle, and then sow it up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote woollyok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 1:53pm
woollyok View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey stu... aka riga

yeh skippie rigged same as a pilchard with the load coming on the trace at the tail not the hooks thats all. I don't half hitch the trace either as who knows whether a kink could matter later, I just ensure I use some wax thread and tie it to the trace so it doesn't slip then onto the tail (but not to much, it needs to come away).

I also clip the tail fins so they don't act as a large propeller, although the sampo can take care of it most times it's just less to worry about.

as for the squid, I just hooked as you say through the head area and then tied it down the body, and again pulling from the fin end so no load on the hooks.... but that is lazy i guess and the way they show on that clip is certinely tidier...

as for a bite each time, I'm not sure about others but I have done lot's of drifting and a bit of trolling for lots of nothing as well.... I was lucky enough to get two in one night which i guess is greedy but hey, when it's on who wants to go home...

Also I've found (but it would be awesome to hear about others experiences) that a bite was had not long after the bait went into the water, not to say at the start of the night but if you shift then put the bait in it was, one time almost instant, but also not longer than half an hour or so for most of the other bites...

not sure if this is how others have found it but I would be interested to hear, does it mean that the boat has drawn them in while running ??????? then slow trolling could for sure be the key ?????????

The only time it was longer was one night on the cavalli rise when it may have been about 1 - 2 hrs or so, and just as it had been decided that it was bluenose for breakfast so there was a guy on the bow getting spooled on bluenose while backing up LOL and a guy in the chair getin spooled on something big and mad till the hooks pulled.....Angry 

And as for the weetbix, if you soak them in redbull you'll go for gold for sure....Wacko

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote camdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 5:09pm
camdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

this is how the yanks do it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote camdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 5:10pm
camdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

another method of the yanks
Page  123 6>