The Yucatan Knot

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Domdomingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Yucatan Knot
    Posted: 15 May 2008 at 12:10pm
Domdomingo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

HI All,
I was doing some researching in back issues of Fishing News, trying to improve my braid to fluro joins, and came across this dilemma....
Which is the right/best way to tie a Yucatan?
Image 1 - Sam Mossman (Fishing News Jan 2007)

Then I found this.
Image 2 - Mark Kitteridge (Fishing News Oct 2007)

They both call this the Yucatan Knot.
Can anyone help on this?
Adam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 12:17pm
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hmmm. . .  i would have called the bottom for an Albright. . . . 

I use the Albright to tie on all me leaders. But instead of wrapping one way and then feeding the tag end through the loop, i wrap "up" and then "down" as well(6-8 times each way) and then feed the tag through the loop.... I understood this to be called the "improved Albright". . . 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Domdomingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 12:27pm
Silver
Silver

Hi Keen As,
I just checked Geoff Wilson's Book "Fishing Knots & Rigs" and the method you have described is what he call an Improved Albright too...
But he doesn't have an Yucatan in his book to clear this matter up.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 12:46pm
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats the book i got it from........

The Tony Jones Leader knot is a good one to. . . bit tricky to tie in a small boat when it's sloppy. . . 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 12:51pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Could it be something to do with a Yucutan basically being a reverse albright?
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 12:57pm
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

way to obvious Si
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 1:10pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I believe a yucatan knot is traditionally tied with the thinner double wrapping round the thicker leader. But when it is pulled up tight, the leader will end up wrapping around the double similar to the first picture.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 1:13pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just found a link to tying the yucatan:
This is my favourite way of joining braid to leader up to 80lb-100lb. Anything thicker than that, it gets a bit hard tightening the knot and I would use the PR knot instead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 3:43pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the top knot i have had issues with breaking well blow the BS of both the braid and the mono leader. these days I use a variation of the bottom one, winding the braid all the way down and then back up the mono loop, keeping it as tightly packed as i can, then pull it all nice & tight with lots of saliva, NEVER had it break.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 3:50pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To me that top one in an albright and the bottom one is a yuctan.
I've got a few knots and rig books and they all seem to agree with the albright (and the improved one you guys mention) but none have the yuctan except for this american fold out thing I got with one of my packs of braids... and its nothing like either of them...
They're both good knots though Dom. I use both albrights, the 5 turn surgeons loop, the back to back uni and the tuctan just depends what I feel like on the day and what braid or leader. I like the yuctan the most of the time but some leaders and braid (often my 6lb fireline and 15lb seagar FC) I just can not get it to bind so I go one of the others.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 10:11pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Badfish, I actually think that the top one is not an albright at all and neither is it a yucatan in its purest form. The bottom one is definitely not a yucatan. Traditionally, an albright will have the thinner line (i.e. the braid double) doing the wrapping. As you can see, both have the thicker line do the wrapping (I am assuming the double in the bottom pic is braid). The knot in the top pic also has only one of the leader ends going through the loop which is not a characteristic of an albright.

In answering Domdomingo's question, this is what a yucatan looks like:

The braid double is the line on the right. The knot starts off with the braid double wrapping around the leader. If you are using braid, you will need more wraps. The leader is then bent backwards and inserted into the braid loop. Lubricate (very important) than slowly pull up tight. As you pull, the wrapped double will gradually twist the leader, and you will end up with the leader wrapped around the braid. It is important to pull on the knot to tighten it and not use your finger to push it down.

History of the yucatan here:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marauder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 10:18pm
Marauder View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

the bottom knot is what i use, and is what i know as the yucatan. it is an awesome knot havn't had is slip or break on me yet. from anyones knowledge is it worth learning the albright knot or are they as strong as each other.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:10pm
wingo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I agree with sooshee, I think I raised a query http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=19380&KW= about this a year or more back because I thought Sam Mossman's knot was different.

I have been using it since with no problems.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 10:00pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ahhhh wingo, no wonder I felt a sense of dejavu when I did my post- I saw that I posted an answer to your post too in that old link.
I just read RankAmateur's post (from your link) about re-using the braid loop and must admit that I do that too. I have a set of very sharp clippers which I use to cut away at the leader coils and voila - I can use the loop again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 8:19am
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What makes it even more confusing is that Mark Kitteridge shows both of them in different articles, one in his book and a different one in th magConfused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 8:53am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just looking at those pics again, do YOU use a loop in your braid and wrap your leader around it, or do YOU wrap your braid around your leader?

I wrap braid around my leader....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Domdomingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 7:04pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks to all that have posted answers to my question Clap

By the sounds of it, neither of the knots that have been pictured in Fishing News are a correct Yucatan, or even close to one for that matter. Confused

The leadertec.com Yucatan seems to be the one that most people believe is the best way to tie a Yucatan, so I reckon i'll stick to this one. They recommend 15 wraps around the leader, which seems alot to me.... Do you really need this many in 10pd braid to 20pd fluro?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:38pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been using up to 8 wraps to join 6lb fireline to 20lb flouro, and the same for joining 30lb fireline to 40lb shockleader on my surfcaster. I haven't had any slip yet thoughSmile.
Let us know how you go. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Domdomingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 11:32am
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the tip Sooshee, i'll hopefully get a chance to try this out this weekend up at Teal Bay.
Will try 8 wraps on my setup.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dirty Oar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 12:38pm
Dirty Oar View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

back to back unis easy as to tie and never had one let go Thumbs%20Up

even before i used to know how to tie a double on my braid never broke one

thats my knot of chioce for me
Page  12>