Frewza Alloy Pontoon Boats

Page  <1 192193194195>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Penty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 9:42am
Penty View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking at installing a fishfinder into a F14 beach launch dinghy. 

Can anyone advise of what size SLA battery they have used? I am looking at a min of 7AH as fishfinder looks to draw ~1AH so that should be plenty?
Ideally I would like it to sit inside the gunnel/pontoon to keep it out of the weather but my research suggests I might have some clearance issues.
Do SLA's need to be kept in weatherproof boxes or is the case sufficient?

I have done some reading on the Kayak forum as it seems like a similar type of setup.

Any advice or how what others have done would be greatly appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RafalS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:50pm
RafalS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had two of 6V - 6Ah (it was on sale) put in a sistema container (also on safe from Pak n Save) surrounded by thin sheet of polystyrene (packaging from a washing machine?). SLAs were put together by cable ties ($2 shop). 

Drilled a little hole on each side of the container below the polystyrene level so in case of water inside it will drain the water before really making batteries wet which doesn't matter but just in case. To a fish finder cable I attached blade connectors with a female plug that has a cap so can be splash proof. It was done on each connector (2). After connecting the cable to the batteries I used more cable ties to make it quite tight. All over the connectors I put plenty of wax (from a candle, the same $2 shop) so stop the corrosion.

Those female connectors got added to be able to charge the battery without touching the "wax". Remember to push the cable first through one of the holes (if you go down that path).

Lowrance Elite-5 HDI would work continuously on it for around 4.5 - 5 hrs.

Charger was made out of out $5 Christmas Lights from Mitre10 (12v DC, 200mA).

excluding Lowrance the whole set was around $40 (~ $25 batteries)

SLAs can be submerged but the terminals are NOT sealed. On cold days try to keep them warm (above 10C), at some stage when they get cold (below 10C) the internal resistance increases quite significantly so you lose more energy, so polystyrene works as a water separator and a bit of insulation. Despite how it sounds it was all quite small and you could even attach the fish finder holder directly to the box where batteries are.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 3:24pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You should not discharge beyond 50% of capacity before damaging the battery. So in your case with a 1AH current draw 2 x 7ah batteries in parallel would give 7 hours
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nick.g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 6:55pm
nick.g View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all. quite keen on an F14 beach launching dinghy, but concerned about the reach to the tiller of my 30hp merc - the tiller handle seems to be right over the transom top. Interested in any feedback of whether this is an issue? Compared to stabi/profile dinghys the transom seems much higher. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Penty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 9:14am
Penty View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by nick.g nick.g wrote:

Hi all. quite keen on an F14 beach launching dinghy, but concerned about the reach to the tiller of my 30hp merc - the tiller handle seems to be right over the transom top. Interested in any feedback of whether this is an issue? Compared to stabi/profile dinghys the transom seems much higher. Cheers

I have a F14 Beach Launch with a 40hp 3cyl Yamaha. Yes, it is quite heavy to lean out the back and get the motor up but I would think the 30hp should be far easier (20kg diff).  I haven't backed up into sea at all but I also owned a 4.1m HS Frewza with std transom before I went to the UK and the new model is far superior. If you can stretch to the 40hp you won't be disappointed especially if you dive.

PM if you wanna chat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carl101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 6:52pm
carl101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi gents, I just purchased a second hand F16 cuddy. Would anyone be able to tell me where I could get a rocket launcher/biminy in wellington?

Thanks

Carl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karlosnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 3:50pm
Karlosnz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For me the transom in the F14 Dinghy was a big reason why I got the boat, its great never taken water over the back etc.
I have a 30D yammie on the back of mine and have no issues with the tiller over the transom and after 5 years I still reckon its a great boatWink 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 4:45pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Karlosnz Karlosnz wrote:

For me the transom in the F14 Dinghy was a big reason why I got the boat, its great never taken water over the back etc.
I have a 30D yammie on the back of mine and have no issues with the tiller over the transom and after 5 years I still reckon its a great boatWink 

Hi Nick, if you're in Auckland you can come look at my F14, it's got a 40hp tohatsu on it. Have a try at lifting the outboard as such, sometimes it's a pain for me as I've snapped my funny bone, but most of the time it's ok.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 4:50pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Penty Penty wrote:

Looking at installing a fishfinder into a F14 beach launch dinghy. 

Can anyone advise of what size SLA battery they have used? I am looking at a min of 7AH as fishfinder looks to draw ~1AH so that should be plenty?
Ideally I would like it to sit inside the gunnel/pontoon to keep it out of the weather but my research suggests I might have some clearance issues.
Do SLA's need to be kept in weatherproof boxes or is the case sufficient?

I have done some reading on the Kayak forum as it seems like a similar type of setup.

Any advice or how what others have done would be greatly appreciated.

Probably sorted your batteries by now, but I run a 20amp hour sla, it runs my elite 4 chartplotter, my vhf and nav lights and transom lights. Lasts all weekend.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwikids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 2:07pm
Kiwikids View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Apologies for delayed response, I don't look at this forum much nowadays. MB Canvas in Petone did my F14 canopy & road cover ~8years ago for ~$700 ea incl GST. Both have lasted well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwikids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 2:12pm
Kiwikids View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Morris Metals in Petone can do good work on custom fabrication for rocket launchers etc. Could get a genuine Frewza one shipped up & install it, probably cheaper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Damo79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:03pm
Damo79 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey everyone I am after some advise on the f16 fisher with a Honda 60 I am looking at buying one and am wondering if the 60 is big enough to be used for water skiing and biscuiting or do I spend the extra and put an 80 on it. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 2:42pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Damo79 Damo79 wrote:

Hey everyone I am after some advise on the f16 fisher with a Honda 60 I am looking at buying one and am wondering if the 60 is big enough to be used for water skiing and biscuiting or do I spend the extra and put an 80 on it. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

80 for sure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 2:56pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How a hull performs, towing , cruise, economy, chop is how well (not much) it is powered.
 With modern boats, well powered in most cases is the max rated hp..
 Go for that..anything under is compromises you wish you had not made after you go for a ride in one that is max rated.. not just towing but chop, flat whatever..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 2:40pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

guys, has anyone retro fitted a livebait tank to their F14? keen to see some set ups. i've done some searches, but keen to see ideas anyway. i'm thinking a 20 or 30L bucket with bubbler or I might look into a water scoop/pump and outlet for for continous flow.

might even get one made/fitted, although a transom mod might be expensive and a bit OTT.

anyone got a factory tank they wanna show off too?

cheers. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 9:57pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Damo79 Damo79 wrote:

Hey mate i have a honda 60 on the back of my f16cc, i think my centre console is about the same if not more in weight with all my add ons and it pulls a biscuit around no problems I've not tried a water skier but would imagine an 80 horse would be well worth going for .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alb1kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 2:26pm
alb1kenobi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi I'm looking at building a rocket luncher for my f14 any ideas on size tube to use . Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alb1kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 2:33pm
alb1kenobi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Really like the rocket luncher any chance to get a plan of it for my f14 . Thought I might use flexible solar panels as roof
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Damo79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 6:53pm
Damo79 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys I have ordered my F16 fisher can anyone tell me what size sounder you can flush mount in them its hard to work out from the pictures. I was thinking a 7" or maybe an 9" simrad go. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:21pm
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have an 8" flush mounted no problem
Page  <1 192193194195>