Frewza Alloy Pontoon Boats

Page  <1 3637383940 195>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 8:47pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

LOL Thought my comment would create a stir!
Flyfisher your frewsa would be better than your 389, didn't you get them to rectify the issues that you didn't like in a 389. 5mm instead of 3mm? Not really comparing apples with apples.
Of2fsh any time you what to go for a rough ride in a stabi, pm me. Always keen to test my softbaiting skills against another gun.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 8:55pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried to get Stabi to customise a few things Potty including a full bottom sheet replacement (due to a few hull cracks starting to appear along the internal girders and letting in lots of water), higher sides and modified floor from memory, they basically said "sorry can't do it" despite having the $$$$ to pour into it at that time.

I then approached them to make a custom build spec'd up 389 with 4mm bottom... again... not interested "just buy a mass produced 389".... Never mind, worked out for me

No denying Brendan took his Frewza basis from Stabicraft - he used to work there! Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 9:34pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

LOL Thought my comment would create a stir!
Flyfisher your frewsa would be better than your 389, didn't you get them to rectify the issues that you didn't like in a 389. 5mm instead of 3mm? Not really comparing apples with apples.
Of2fsh any time you what to go for a rough ride in a stabi, pm me. Always keen to test my softbaiting skills against another gun.

All in good humour mate,carbine had a Stabi and it took a beating,remember tearing the windscreen off it one night in horrible conditions...pop rivets couldn't stand up to me holding on for my life
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red89mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 10:06pm
red89mx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good on ya for starting the thread Quentin......given us a few laughs with FF trying to get divirced b4 getting married. 

What made you go the Surt 4.7 CC way instead, and now that you have had the 4.7 for a while and seen the Fweza would you do it that way again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 10:10pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan.... she still has NO idea I brought the Frewza... 15 months on and even a few trips in the boat!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 10:58pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

With all the people owning frewza boats we should organize a frewza fishing comp,im happy to sort out the details and get a few prizes etc,im thinking next spring or summer,we could do it in a different place each year,i reckon at a camp ground like the kayak guys do,theres whatawhiwhi up north,coromandle,even something different like a trout comp at taupo,then lower in the north island ( not shure of the areas etc) then maybe even a sth island comp at nelson or somewhere,get everyone together in a camp ground to talk sh it around a bonfire we can make out of a Stabicraft .(..joking re stabicraft) anyway whos keen ?

Im gonna have to get a Frewza to be part of the action Wayne, if i do we can use my place at Whangaruru....heaps of room for tents etc and central to all the action
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:28pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

as chance would have it a stabi 1530 was retrieved at the ramp just as i was preparing mine for the road.Very nice boat & very new. Was able to see them side by side and the f14 seemed to have a deeper point of entry although the stabi was a bit longer and beamier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 8:46am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Id be in for a frewza fishing comp, although I would be in the same boat (haha puns are fun :)) as Southhook44 as getting my boat up there would be a bit too expensive for me. Would also depend on work and family, kids are at that age where they have a camp trip every other weekend it would seem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 10:44am
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would a surtees owner be welcome
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:08am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i see the DNA 420 models are 18 degrees at the transom, frewza is 16. any comments on these boats? anyone got one? are they still shallower in the bow section than the frewza, or is it splitting hairs? looks like they have a flat deck?
edit: just spoke to the guy who is sending me info. the new ones have high transom. motor pods..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mashinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 2:21pm
mashinator View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

first time caller, and an interesting , informative thread. It is difficult to research and purchase without a trial. of some description. I have had two 12 foot tiniest and a mac 360 and want to make the jump to the 4-4.7m pontoon range, having been caught out at the limits of a 12 footer on a few occasions. I have been researching for over a year and keep coming back to the frewza 440 after comparing it "ON PAPER" with the other boats in it's class: mac 420, hardy 400 and 470, kiwiraft 440, 470, stabi 1530, etc, etc. None of the other boats have a forum (although ramco used to have a their own fishing tournament in BOI) back in the day. IBoats can be bit ford v Holden, but are these frewza 440s really that much better than the opposition. I have looked at the stabi 470 with it's big shoulders, and hear what the forum says about their hard wet ride. As a nurse I was even a bit surprised by the roughness of the welds, but impressed by the 1350 internal beam and big volume.

Questions: does the frewza really handle the 30 knots that kicks up double the forecast? or is that a bit overstated.
When you pick the weather would you go 30k offshore chasing pelagics (safeties in place).

I live in Hamilton and fish all the raglan and coromandel coasts. Is there a local 440 owner I could bug for an hour.If not I could travel upto enemy territory if a blues man could handle a chief poring over their pride n joy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 6:33pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Questions: does the frewza really handle the 30 knots that kicks up double the forecast? or is that a bit overstated.
When you pick the weather would you go 30k offshore chasing pelagics (safeties in place).

Yes,ive been out in 25 gusting 30 and was happy as,i wouldnt like to travell long distances as its still a small light boat,this sat is 15 to 20 knots of SE ( the worst wind in the gulf)and i plan on going 18 miles out into the gulf chasing workups , the boat will handle it no worries even wind against tide
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 6:40pm
Platinum
Platinum

My hull looks just about done ... getting pretty bloody excited now :)

Unfortunately I won't be able to pick it up tomorrow cause my trailer won't be here until Monday or Tuesday ... not too bad as I don't intend on going anywhere with it until tuesday arvo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 7:12pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

couple of questions. What length overall is the F16.   SJ what model of Frewza is the one pictured
Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 7:28pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Brown Brown wrote:

With all the people owning frewza boats we should organize a frewza fishing comp,im happy to sort out the details and get a few prizes etc,im thinking next spring or summer,we could do it in a different place each year,i reckon at a camp ground like the kayak guys do,theres whatawhiwhi up north,coromandle,even something different like a trout comp at taupo,then lower in the north island ( not shure of the areas etc) then maybe even a sth island comp at nelson or somewhere,get everyone together in a camp ground to talk sh it around a bonfire we can make out of a Stabicraft .(..joking re stabicraft) anyway whos keen ?

Im gonna have to get a Frewza to be part of the action Wayne, if i do we can use my place at Whangaruru....heaps of room for tents etc and central to all the action

Sounds bloody good mate,think the 1st one will have to be central to most of the frewza owners ,once we have one get together im shure guys will travell a wee bit further to be part of it

thefox 9 hours 16 minutes ago at 10:44am   Quote   Reply

Shure would be

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 7:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

couple of questions. What length overall is the F16.   SJ what model of Frewza is the one pictured
Thanks

F14 Dinghy ... for a sense of scale (cause it always blows me away when i see it in the flesh) that is an 85 litre Ice Station chilly bin set north/south in place of the second bench seat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 7:48pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Thanks

f16 is actually 16.5 feet according to brendon. 5 metres = 16ft'4 27/32 inchesWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 8:05pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Brown Brown wrote:

Sounds bloody good mate,think the 1st one will have to be central to most of the frewza owners ,once we have one get together im shure guys will travell a wee bit further to be part of it

thefox 9 hours 16 minutes ago at 10:44am   Quote   Reply

Shure would be

count me and the surtees in then
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 8:09pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fissure Fissure wrote:

i see the DNA 420 models are 18 degrees at the transom, frewza is 16. any comments on these boats? anyone got one? are they still shallower in the bow section than the frewza, or is it splitting hairs? looks like they have a flat deck?
edit: just spoke to the guy who is sending me info. the new ones have high transom. motor pods..

I'll have one soon. Alot has changed between the 420 specs on the site and the current 2013 version. You are right they now have a high transom and pod. More inline with the f14 transom now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 8:16pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Macka2012, hope these pics of the F14 dash help, sorry for the delay.

Here's a few pics also to illustrate the entry on the F14, quite clearly finer than the competition and the chines more aggressive to down-turn spray, I think this coupled with the pontoons being full depth at the front make it a drier boat.

Stabicraft 389 / 410 hull for comparison against a F14, the F14 pontoons being fuller are a bit deceptive, but if they we're tapered (imagine they are like the 389) you'd notice the deeper entry - does not look like much and not great pics sorry, but illustrates why the slightly better ride in the Frewza.

Page  <1 3637383940 195>