Turangi on the weekend

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turangi on the weekend
    Posted: 06 May 2008 at 9:09am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got down to Turangi on Saturday after rugby. Fishing with me mate Steve, obligatory stops at Pokeno for huge ice cream and pork sausages.

Checked in at Creel fishing lodge and found we were right next door to Yoshi and Pete Scott from Rod and Reel. Very nice 2 bedroom units with a gate in the back fence leading onto the river, nice outdoor area and fish cleaning facilities.

After unpacking we slipped on the waders and went downstream to the Sportsmans pool. Fished the bypass for and hour and a couple of small but hard fighting fish. The river was in great condition - a nice dull green.

Early next working and down to the TT. River level up and bit and conditions good but no runs of fish in the river. Saw no fish and gave up around 9am.  Plan was to unpack the portabote and get out to the Delta or Otamangakau. I got that sinking feeling when I realised that I had left the 12 split pins and 4 1/4 inch wingnuts that hold the portabote together in Auckland with my softbait kit. Serendipity smiled on us however as on the track back to the car there is an old electrical unit left rusting on the river bank - complete with 2 1/4 inch stainless nuts which were duely appropriated - what are the chances! Some excess number eight wire in place of the split pins and we were launching from the old wharf at Tokaanu.

We always fish the little puffs of current around the delta rather than the main flow. Sinking lines and long white marabou boobies. What a relaxing way to fish - with two beautiful 5 pound rainbows to the net and destined for the smoker. The afternoon sky started leaking at around 2pm and by four we had had enough and departed for the comforts of Creel and a large bottle of Laphroaig.

It poured all night and we packed up early and flipped over to the big O to take a look. It was absolutley bitter with a 5 knot breeze blowing into our teeth at the boat ramp and driving rain. Oh well - maybe next year. 

Back to Turangi and northwards with a brief stop at the Hatepe to have a look at the Hinemaiaia mouth - which is flowing due north and along the beach at the moment. It needs somebody to punch a hole straight through the built up sandbank to get it flowing again.

Back to Auckland and a couple of lovely red fillets in the smoker  - those delta fish are sure the best eating of any trout I've ever had.

Only real casualty of the weekend was my fishing hat - a 15 year old rod and gun one fly cap with lots of accumulated fishing mojo. It finally ripped through (lots of wear). Looks like I'm going to have to go in search of a replacement - something a bit more classic I'm, thinking......

"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote upstream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 11:31am
upstream View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice report and well told Barbary.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 45kg_puka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 12:53pm
45kg_puka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If ya ever in turangi again, fish the lower bridge pool and the rappids  at the head of the pool. and fish the rapids, where it enters the pool. 6lb fluro and small h/c's or P/t's  10 fish in 1/2 hr fishing that way. biggest whent 7lb smallest whent 5lb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 1:13pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by oz_fisher oz_fisher wrote:

If ya ever in turangi again, fish the lower bridge pool and the rappids  at the head of the pool. and fish the rapids, where it enters the pool. 6lb fluro and small h/c's or P/t's  10 fish in 1/2 hr fishing that way. biggest whent 7lb smallest whent 5lb

You sure??? 10 fish on 6lb line 5 - 7lb at 3 minutes to cast, hook, land, kill or release and back to it????

Really???Embarrassed

Since begining to fish the river in 1978 I have had some incredible fishing with many 50 plus days... but 10 in 30 minutes of that size would break all records. Even at my fittests I couldn't run that fast between fish! WinkEven the average size is way above the norm... Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm picking weither the numbers or time frame might be a bit out of kilter here.

Nice report BarbClap
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 1:45pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

You sure??? 10 fish on 6lb line 5 - 7lb at 3 minutes to cast, hook, land, kill or release and back to it????

In your day Clark, two hooks at a time was the law.
Nowdays 3, so our man can land 'em 3 at a timeLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 2:51pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep oz_fisher the small naturals are definitley hot at the moment. Talking to Pete and Yoshi, they had hooked and landed at least 20 fish on small bead heads on Saturday from around the same area, mostly smaller fish though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 45kg_puka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 9:44pm
45kg_puka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ha ha very funny clark :) try side straining them eg: tilt the rod sideway's as you play them.  as you know where the head leads, the rest will follow. as the fish run up or busy running. the side strain will lead them to shore on a ark stand back 10 feet and lead em to shore a flick with pliers and off they go. most times from 5am till 7am i was useing  just the leader and 2 ft of flyline and hooked many off thoes rapids and i can prove it 100 and 10%.  barbary B when i fished there 1 year ago the big rainbows was on the rocky side of the lower bridge pool cause it is deeper fished with 18ft fluro leaders and fluro tippet it was awesome indeed. it's not how ya fish its the way ya fish. think like a fish, breath like a fish, be the fish.. relax and relax some more. and you will land plenty of thoes trout in turangi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 10:04pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

there ya go Clark, some free advise on how to do it---sure hope you take it on boardLOL

oz_fisher, when I fished the Tongariro ( 18 years), 6lb tippet was never going to allow a decent fish ( 5-7lb) to be skull hauled like you suggest.
If you had claimed 10 fish in 1-2 hours I'd be listening, but that number in 1/2 an hour ( 30 mins) is ludicrous.
The Tongariro is a big river with big water & in my experience, any decent fish will make a run for the deeper , swifter  part of the pool.
Sidestrain using 6lb tippet will not stop one of those fresh run freight trains, especially on the first run.
Well, unless someone has cut off all the tailsLOL
On another note, good on you for using the pliers to flick the hook, it's great that anglers are learning not to man handle the fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 10:48pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well heck OZ, thanks for the advice.Thumbs%20Up

I've been fishing a while and landed some reasonable fish on fly gear from 14 lb Browns, 12 lb rainbows, some seriously large Kingies, Kahawai, tuna, Snapper and a host of other species all on fly rods, including 7lb Kahawai on four weights... I'll bet a Sage Xi2 I can land a fish faster than just about anyone I've fished with, expert perhaps Peter Morse.

A few thousand trout later it doesn't take much for my Bull$hit" alarm to go off...  I cannot say what you claim didn't happen because I was not there, but I would go as far as to say your numbers to me don't stack up... especially in one of the most heavily fished pools on the river which adds another degre of difficulty in itself... and an average size about 2lbs above the norm these days and I'll leave it at that. Regardless,  I have no doubt you caught those fish... it's the 30 minutes I doubt a little it's obvious you had some good fishing, and that is all that counts at the end of the day.Clap
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 45kg_puka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 12:57pm
45kg_puka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not a worry clark, hey tell ya what  come down in july to the lower brige pool with me one day and i'll prove to you that it can be done. dont know if the big ones will be there as i aint fished it for some time, but i will show you that i can land trout dam fast with just a 6pound fluro tip ok :) uncle i dont skull drag, sure they run on the 1st hook up, then  just side strain and wind like hell and as i stand in one spot i lead there head towards shore once they in shallow or on the flat i  walk back to them and flick em off with the plyers. i get all my fish in as quickly as possible beacuse of the latic acid thingie me jig. as im heading to rotorua next month i'll get my mate to take a video of how i land em :) and post it on utube for all da world to see lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doctor fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 7:14pm
doctor fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Last night I dreampt that I was catching fish in the Whitikau pool before the flood!  Certainly easy to lose track of time when the fishing is good!  Also  Oz , after landing  these fish it would be prudent to take the time to re-tie a few knots. Why the rush, what did ya do for the rest of the day?  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 45kg_puka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 7:34pm
45kg_puka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yerp tied a few knots i always check them for knot damage every second fish or so. most times i just run my fingers over the line when i walk back to the river and retie in the stream. i  had a feed and walked around buying some gear. then drove back home  i even invented a fly that outfished the store ones last year or so. inthe water no more than 3 seconds and wack amazeing what one thinks up when the fish are spawning and really looking at the eggs from laying to hatching. and it was just so plain and simple why otheres dident think of it. i mean most flys catch fisherfolk not fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Miles.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:31am
Miles.R View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Time flies when you're having fun hey!
We only got three yesterday...combined weight just over 38 pounds! Took all day!
miles rushmer guiding...

TROPHY TROUT l SALTWATER l SHOOTING

BAY OF PLENTY, NEW ZEALND
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:36am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Miles - how you going. You sure it wasn't 38 pounds of turtle with a samurai sword sticking out of it!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Miles.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:42am
Miles.R View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ha hah.... No turtles this time - think we fished them out! And incidentally - it wasn't on the tongariro either! 11.5, 12, and 15lb's. The 15 was perhaps the best jaw I ever saw!
miles rushmer guiding...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:53am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds very ngongotahaish to me.... pictures dude...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Miles.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:17am
Miles.R View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got some nice pix for him - don't seem to be able to activate the "tree" button tho...
Hmmm. Any ideas?
miles rushmer guiding...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Miles.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:19am
Miles.R View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Still can't - maybe I need to post more before I can attach pix?
miles rushmer guiding...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:25am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep - you need 20 posts to post pics, 1/2 way there.

Chris
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Miles.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:32am
Miles.R View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ho-hum
miles rushmer guiding...

Page  12>