The Four Allround Lures

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Montague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 1:41pm
Peter Montague View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We all like the electronics, but just try a day on the water with no electronics, it really gets you to think and fish on instinct -

it helps to get you to follow the signs and fish where the fish are and not look at the chart plotter and fish the faithful grounds out of habit even though they are dead as a door nail.

click here to get a copy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 1:43pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I fished my first 3 years game fishing in my own boat with no Plotter and a sounder that was usless over 50 metres.

All my fishing was on instinct. I still find myself chasing birds like i did back then.

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 3:10pm
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stuff the little games, I'll try for a grands worth of lures..Cheers.

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 5:36pm
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jeeez 3 hrs and not a bite.Still, as they say a bad days' fishin' is better than a good days workin...

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 6:36pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be afraid team, I want to enter. Bragging rights at stake here

Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 9:06pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geez, how did I get mixed up in all this competition stuff???

Anyhow... You guys can have your Legend Lure Packs, I'll have one of the SigSeries packs I got off Pete last year...maybe this one, but maybe something a liiiitttle different...

with, of course, a roto-bullfrog tossed in for good measure, and we'll see how we get on? I take it that Roddy and Kerren have matched Petes offer of $1,000 of free product for the board member who bags the 1st marlin of the season using one of their lures?

hmmmm... I am doing a trip around the top of the north island starting Xmas day... may be worth convincing the skipper to let me do the entire lure selection process eh! :-)

I know that of the 3 strikes we got in Vanuatu from marlin 2 weeks ago, two were on a pink stripey Bullfrog

(photos courtesy Fujifilm FinePix S-5000  digital camera.)

Man, I still have to get this Vanuatu story finished.... back to work!

cheers,

Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 9:11pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh! And we released that fish, thanks to the single hook rig. The other, landed on a big 14 inch lure with a double hook, had to die as at boatside the 2nd hook in the rig flipped over and ripped the whole eye out of the socket, talk about gory, poor fish.... another pressing reason for single hooks for me from now on.....

cheers,

Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 9:22pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For 5 metre tinnies off the West coast these has been my winners:-

• Boone yellow/green, parallel, slant faced  (way back)- 2 stripies (only one lure out)
  • Pakula med Sprocket, Evil. 5 hits but only one tagged, same as above, (again, only one lure in the water, must be a something in that!).
  • Williamson green/yellow jet head, with Moldcraft small bird, ahead (targeting tuna, but WTF?)
  • Pakula Evil Animal - up close - Mako magnet until we speeded up a bit.

Launches - just a recollection of hits, from several trips on launches.

• Sea-Tal, blue/white on the long flat line.
  • Evil Animal or BM Purple Predator, up really close.
  • Lumo or Blue Angel Sprocket (full size)- long rigger (port).
  • Pacific Fruit Salad - long rigger
  • Hooker medium swimmer - black/silver.
  • Black Magic Manuakau Plunger - purple/blue
  • Don't know the the name of this lure but it was very squid-like in an olive colour, slant head, I think.
  • Another unknown lure but medium green/black in some Hawaiian pattern.
  • Pacific flat faced purple/black

The Lumo Sprocket has had the most. My ideal would be the 2 Sprockets (could be medium ones) on the riggers . An Evil Animal or Purple Predator up very close and the Sea Tal. Of course, there are.  If I had to choose just one lure, then it would be a medium Sprocket in Blue Angel. But then, I know SFA.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 9:37pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Phew...back on track.....thanks FishB8!

and welcome back Mr. Foo.....

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Montague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 10:27pm
Peter Montague View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes good to see your back Dustin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 5:26am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys!

I've had so much luck with a bird rig on whites and spearfish that I can't wait to try one on striped marlin!  Run on the wave behind the long rigger with a small lure (but rigged with big enough hook and leader), this rig more than earns its keep and catches meat fish for the boat, it's just been a very consistent performer for me.  I confess I don't like big birds, the 8.5" Boone boat-hull style hard bird is my favourite but the standard Mold Craft soft bird which is about the same size is also O.K.  The other post I selected the 6 1/2" skirt size mini plunger to run behind the bird (it'll also run well on its own) but it was a hard choice to pick that over my other favourite, a small weighted bullet head in pink/white or ice blue over pink.  Whites and spearfish happily chow down on bullets and the Hawaiians catch lots of juvenile striped marlin on these straight tracking no-action lures, I've come to appreciate them much more than I used to do.  If I had a lot of time to fish N.Z. I would definitely like to try the bigger bullets (9 1/2" skirt size) in the long rigger and stinger positions. 

I'll add my thought to the comments made by the others on running cupped face lures alongside slant faced lures.  I agree with Roddy that the short outrigger position is generally the best place to position a cup faced lure if all the other lures are slant faced.  Because of the high line angle, it tends to give the lure a great deal of lift and especially if you like to run a pattern quite close to the boat i.e. 2, 3, 4, 5th waves, a lot of slant face lures will jump in the short rigger position and a cup faced lure can be a very good candidate because of the way it holds water.  If you are fishing your lures further back i.e. 3, 4, 5, 6 which I personally prefer to do (at least until the fish tell me that my boat is extremely good at raising fish short), the short rigger position is much less problematic and a variety of lures can be fished in that position especially if you have the nous to control the height of your rigger clip somewhat. 

Where I disagree (with the greatest respect) with Roddy is that lengthening the head of a cup face lure gives it greater stability.  I believe what the extra length on a lure does is give it extra lift and my personal favourites for a cup faced lure to be fished in a position with a lot of rigger lift is something with a big face and quite a short head i.e., Pakula Rat/Mouse or Beer Barrel.  The latter is probably my favourite cup face shape because it has a distinct quite aggressive head shaking action which won't be impeded so much should one choose to fish the lure with heavier leader and hooks, whilst not being as radical as one of the long chuggers i.e. Patriot, Chatterbox.  That's not to say the Sprocket, Longshot style lures are not useful as they certainly are, but for the situations I put a cup face lure into the water I favour the Beer Barrel shape. 

cheers - dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 8:17am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Funny you should say about the bullet head, Dustin. I've watched the game fishing programs with Norm Isaacs, in Hawaii, and he uses a pattern exactly as you mentioned. He catches striped marlin on these with great regularity. As for no action, I'll beg to differ. Underwater camera shots of this lure has a stable motion but a very fluttery tail. You, of course, have the motion of the boat 50 metres ahead, giving it up and down movement. Looks very fishy from underwater. Regular success must be more than co-incidence.

I've got myself a Yuzuri heavy jet head in blue/pink for a shotgun position but haven't tried it yet.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 8:31am
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Roy,

I have two of the jet heads you speak of, I went a step further and threaded a daisy chain effect of 100mm skirts up the trace, each with a 25grm lead placed in the heads.

I have to run this off 37kg because of the weight and drag, but when we're in  a hurry to get somewhere above normal trolling speed...........yellowfin city..........yahoo

I can't beleive I let that one out

Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 8:56am
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah

Welcome back Dustin

Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 11:35am
Roddy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dustin - good to see you again senor. Thanks for your disagreement. Made me realise that I hadn't really expressed myself very well earlier !! What I should have said was that in my choice of four lures for the Kiwi Legend Pack I have chosen a long cupped-faced lure !! Reason being that with three slant-heads in the pack I have all the action I want. Tangaroa (AKA Vulcan) in particular is really aggressive and in that scenario I want the odd lure out there to be able to slide along all day no matter what the conditions to provide the easy-to-eat odd-man-out proposition. Whilst I fully admit that a shorter headed lure will be more aggressive I'm not looking entirely for that if ya see what I mean ! I'm also not entirely in agreement with you about stability. I'm sure in my mind that the longer the head the more stability you'll have (I may be wrong of course, and naturally I will accept defeat gracefully). When you run for home with 60 knots of south-easter hauling your ass along, I bet my long headed popper is out there longer than your short stubby thing (speaking of lures of course....grin). . And, when you pull that clip to the top of the rig your plonker will tumble a long time before my popper. So, in some circumstances I would call the longer lure a better all-rounder that the stubby guy anyway, which, of course, is the reason I chose him in the first place (talked myself into that one...hmm). Well, that's my view of it, grin. Your turn.

Peter M - thanx for your comments about Slackline's questions and putting me straight. I got put off track there ! Oh, while I do concur that the odd-one out is a good strategy sometimes, I don't always follow it - I have to admit that most of the time I have pretty much four different options out there head-wise and four different colour combos too - this gets me really confused, especially when they bite one particular lure and I can't work out whether it's the colours or the action they like !

Stu - I take it that Roddy and Kerren have matched Petes offer of $1,000 of free product for the board member who bags the 1st marlin of the season using one of their lures?

I'd love to put up $1000 worth of lures senor, but -

1) I'm kinda plugged out at present what with Kerren starting a comp in Jan with my stuff

2) also this idea of Bushpig's if it gets started (I know, it's only a fun thing, but it's a big deal for me 'cos I only have about 2 lures in NZ at present.  Matt has one and Obald the other, Kerren swopped his for a pint one night in some pub I hear.....)

3) I think Pete might have a slight advantage over me in having a couple of thousand lures dotted around your coastline, all looking to win a prize !

4) I give away too much stuff already

5) I have my own competition on my site that also means giving stuff away........I think I've done my bit !!

Good to hear you had a fine time in Vanuatu, sorry the winds blew ! E-mail coming privately....

Roddy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 12:25pm
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Roddy, I guess I ought to provide the appropriate disclaimer and say that I don't have any expertise beyond the average in running cupped face lures myself.  But my thought is that for this style lure, because the cup face creates a kind of suction or drag that seems to hold the lure to the water (what Bart calls "negative lift"), the size of face and to an extent the depth of cup has the most effect on its stability, if one defines stability as the ability to hold water.  On that 4th wave short outrigger position, high line angle, a Beer Barrel with a big face and shorter head will hold water better than say a Longshot with a smaller face and longer head, to my mind because it has a bigger face to hug the water better.  But then as their esteemed designer will point out, the latter lure is designed to perform best in lower line angles.  I agree that longer headed lures can be very stable from that lower line angle but to my mind that has a lot to do with the angle.  Run a Rat/Mouse or Beer Barrel from the lower line angle and it'll hang in there just as good, certainly at most normal trolling speeds.  As for the longer cupped face lures being better all rounders, I guess I'd agree.  Your Hydra and the Sprocket range to my mind are not dissimilar to the Mold Craft Wide Range in terms of application, if not exactly the same in terms of action. 

Fishb8, how available are Yo-Zuri lures in New Zealand and in what styles and sizes?  I've seen only a handful but quite fancied the ones I've seen.  Roddy has or should have a nice little 7 3/4" skirt size plunger I made for him, the original was made by Yo-Zuri and the lures I've turned out from that mould have done well for my friends and myself at Phuket.  It's a perfect little lure to run off the rigger in the 5th or 6th wave- 200 to 250# leader and 7/0 to 8/0 hooks. 

cheers - dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 6:06pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bushie and Kerren,

Did you guy's get my PM ?

Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 6:10pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

none from you in the past few days??..plse resend!
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 6:18pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bloody usless
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 6:24pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Re-sent
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Page  <1234>