Mussels for bait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mussels for bait.
    Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 6:41pm
Scooby View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have used mussels for bait few times with fairly good success.
Question,i have heard that you can put mussel on the hook with part of the shell still attached.
How you go about doing this. I have  wrapped cotton round the mussel and half the shell,but shell comes flying off when i cast it. Works ok around rocks where casting not required.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 7:36pm
rocko View Drop Down

May sound silly bud,but pre drilling hole in the shell,s, using whole shell,s before venturing out?n That way the mussel is presented in its natural state..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingiSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 8:57am
KingiSlayer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

And where do you put the hook, wouldn't it be dislodged when the fish tries to bust the shell open? Does it pick it up like normal and run with it, when do you strike?
It is the God of the Tight Line by which I am governed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 9:25am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive done as you say  drilled two holes but i break 1/2 of one side open drill two holes in other side then frezze when fishing  place hook so its comes out in meat of mussel and pull line down between shells  works well on west coast surf casting,  for eastern side  i use no shell  pre hook tie on and frezze    
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 9:51am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I remember seeing something along the lines of a sock tube or fine mesh tube for using soft shellfish baits. I used a similar system with PVA mesh bags that disolve when they hit the bottom freshwater fishing - purpose was to put out a load of free offerings rights with the hookbait that was also inside the bag and it works brilliantly.
For saltwater you could basically fill the mesh tube with mussel twist it and tie a knot in one end then do same for other end leaving you something resembling a sausage that can then be attached to the hook without the bait going everywhere. You could pre-make a load of them and freeze them if you needed to cast them out a way. Where to buy mesh tubing is another matter......burley bag material would be ok but it's too wide. Any ideas?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingiSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 10:11am
KingiSlayer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You could possibly use bird netteing doubled up couple of times...
It is the God of the Tight Line by which I am governed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 11:17am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That sounds better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 11:52am
SeaI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

shuck, then salt, then tie on, seems to work fine

shell on sounds like a good way to get hook ups if the fish has to really munch it to get a feed it might not react so qucikly to the hook
Kei uta ngā ika
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 6:20pm
Unty View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

bill hohepa breaks a corner of the shell off, just on site with a rock or sumthin, pokes hook through here then pries it back through the lips. it would obviously stay on the hook well and he reckons hes cought snapper up 2 11kg doin this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 6:58pm
Scooby View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i will experiment next time i go fishing.     Snapper must love mussels,the last few snapper i have gutted have literally had heaps of baby mussels in them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 9:57pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

find fresh, crack open, eat...........Cool aviod coromandel honey on wayDead
Alternatively, get them , dry them in open sun, put on hook , use bait cotton with two dried per hook, wrapped in bait. hits the water and presto expands into the bait cotton and rejuices,etc. If no snapper around, excess dried mussel on hot fire rock into gob....pressto

do not use supermarket pottle of marinate mussel as marinade does not seem to work

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 10:01pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

COME ON James  post some pics of the whoopers you and clare caught ..Wellcome back bud  how did it go;Sorry never made it north  Cry sad storey
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 10:07pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now back to mussels  shop brought are fine  pick up some sea salt as well and salt over night those you don't use  crack the shells first  nothing like quick fried mussel for the dry horrors in the morn washed down with a nice cold redLOL