Blue Heaven reels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Heaven reels
    Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 9:40pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just putting it out there to the few that have used these reels but what is your opinion on them?
smooth?
easy to jig with?

I have a bit of a thing for small grunty leverdragsEmbarrassed

I think it would go well with my jm400.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murf007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 9:58pm
murf007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Talk to Chopsticks, Mozz. He KNOWS and can EXPLAIN the good points, and the not so good points..
The Bull Sh*t stops when the first jig drops
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote VIKING 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 10:47pm
VIKING 3 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm keen to know too so don't keep it a secret.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2008 at 1:35am
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Just a qick update on the b;ue \heaven reels from Tokyo - Ocean Studio Mark have halted production of the larger L120 reels.  They intend to recommence manufacturing in about 6 months time when they have a completely new replacement out.  They said this last year but came out with drag upgraded old L120.  Next will be a completely new reel.

OJ4000P - i asked the shimano guys whether these were being redesigned?  Apparently not!  All reels are the original standard.  They were all on sale here at the moment, less 20%.  Did I buy any?  NO!  Have to keep TAS under control.    
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Rod Baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 10:31pm
The Rod Baron View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've got one and love it. It is super simple and super effective. The downside, as you will be aware if you've read some of Chris W's comments on another post, is that a lever drag can stick at max drag. I has happened to me on a big Kingi and I couldn't release the drag without a real effort. I didn't lose the fish but I was worried when it happened. The upside is that the drag was set at 20kg strike- I had it at sunset so I really should not complain about stickiness. My two year old daughter could service this reel. I f I can get another , without an extra mortgage, I will.
afishionado
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nirai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008 at 2:18pm
Nirai View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I have mate who has done a lot! of Jigging & Crewing in Perth on the Samsons. He has seen & tried more top of the line jigging gear than any of us & seen the anti reverse dogs go on more blue heavens that he cares to mention. Steve tells me they gave 4 to Allen Bevon the guy that put the Sampson Perth sport fishery on the map, all of them died & quickly being used on a day in day out basis and a couple of the the unfortunate users got well hurt when these reels turned into knuckle dusters. Evidently it is a well know fault with BH around the world?
Just a bit of info for those that are interested in knowledge, this same friend tells me for trouble free motoring with OH day day out can not go past a Torsa.
"Gunrunner" Surtees 610 Game Fisher current
*"Double Barrel" Seacat 635 "Good Riddance!"
*"Seriola" Surtees 485 CC Retired with honours!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008 at 4:36pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Nirai Nirai wrote:

I have mate who has done a lot! of Jigging & Crewing in Perth on the Samsons. He has seen & tried more top of the line jigging gear than any of us & seen the anti reverse dogs go on more blue heavens that he cares to mention. Steve tells me they gave 4 to Allen Bevon the guy that put the Sampson Perth sport fishery on the map, all of them died & quickly being used on a day in day out basis and a couple of the the unfortunate users got well hurt when these reels turned into knuckle dusters. Evidently it is a well know fault with BH around the world?
Just a bit of info for those that are interested in knowledge, this same friend tells me for trouble free motoring with OH day day out can not go past a Torsa.

The stories of AR bearing failure are well known among Blue Heavens AND Accurate Boss reels plus others I am sure.  Both companies found the AR bearings suppliers were crap which caused the "never to be forgotten" failures.  I expect that both reels are reliable now BUT every reel will break at some stage in their lives.

The JM guys just don't trust reels with AR bearings.  They even designed & manufacture a special double dog AR kit to install into the Boss reels and threw away the AR bearing.   

All Shimano OH reels have AR bearings.  Its become almost a fact-of-life with modern OH reels.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008 at 5:22pm
JTF View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008 at 5:51pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hahahahahahaha
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 4:02am
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good call Narai and what Bull**** jimi i will never see a eggbeater in your hands eva {JIGGING}and if thats the only thing thats gone wrong with your Torsa after 2.5 years of thrashing man what the **** is wrong with that like Ginga said in my welcome Torsa power
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 2:04pm
JTF View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Iwas just kidding about the spinning reelLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chopsticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 5:44pm
chopsticks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As Chris has said, the AR bearing failure on the earlier Blue Heaven reels is probably a thing of the past. Again, as Chris has stated all reels will eventually fail at some time with continued hard use; especially so if maintenance is neglected. Also, as Jimi said above, a back - up double pawl system is something that all reel manufacturer's should use. 

There are however, many positives with a Blue Heaven reel. If you like superb workmanship, meticulous machining, high quality materials and finishing then the BH are among the best of the best. They have a very tough anodized finish and the most comfortable handle (to me) of any reel I've ever owned or used. Their weight is fairly light so they balance with a JM 350 for instance as well as the heavier JM models. They feel particularly good in the hand.

They have very tough stainless gears, helically cut, which make a slight whirling noise when winding. They also have a very good twin drag system like the Accurate. The drag discs are made of cork and give about 20 kgs. The earlier models had delrin discs which gave about 13 kgs. These can easily be replaced with the cork ones. The reels are a breeze to do maintenance work on.

All in all a very fine reel. Like any reel that relies solely on an AR bearing it would be prudent to take a spare bearing along on an important trip away - along with your little tool kit which you should always be carrying with you.

CONFIDENCE: The feeling you have before fully understanding the situation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Rod Baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 8:05pm
The Rod Baron View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I believe Avet use a dog rather than ARBs, but only a single dog so there's a little slop in the handle and probably not as strong as a dual dog system. Nice reels though (I've got an SX5.3 and a T Rex, both of which I am happy with.)
Still happy with my Blue Heaven- looks like new and it has done a lot of hard work.
afishionado
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 8:44pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Wink
Originally posted by The Rod Baron The Rod Baron wrote:

Still happy with my Blue Heaven- looks like new and it has done a lot of hard work.

Gidday Trev, bout time you made it here Clap.
I can attest to the heavy work Trevor has put his BH too.  Sounds like you are arming up for the next Ranfurly trip in November.  The rods speak to me Wink
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 9:10pm
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by jimijig jimijig wrote:

Iwas just kidding about the spinning reelLOL

now your talking i know your not kidding but i wont tell anyone
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH