fish on the sounder

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fish on the sounder
    Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 8:42am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Starting to get the hang of my flash colour sounder and really identify the kings to elimate time jigging "Dead water"

When you mark a big school of kings on the sounder that takes up 20+m of water from the bottom are you guys just jigging through the whole school or focusing on the bottom 5-10m where the big boys hang?
I have always got bigger fish on livies when they are really close to the bottom even if the school is showing alot higher up so just wondering if this is a way to eliminate those pesky rats and get into the HUA sized kings. if this is the case is it more a thing of 5-10 cranks and drop back down or what?

thoughts please
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 9:33am
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

It is hard knowing just how deep your jig is unless you are using a coloured braid like Jig star.  The bottom is your reference, we always drop to the bottom then work upwards.  All/most of our targets are found in the bottom 20m so it makes sense then to concentrate your efforts to this column. If you don't get hits, jig higher then higher up the column.  If you are really energetic, you can jig all the way to the surface like in the old ways Dead.

Our last trip to the Ranfurly, skipper called out the marks on the sounder, often seen to be up to 50 -60m off the bottom.  We would jig all the way through these marks for zilch or a rat.  There is a lot of effort to jig 60m compared to 20m.

The big boys tend to be on/near the bottom.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 11:05am
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mozz like chris said your sounder is a reference all- though i dont take my eyes of mine .If we see fish in a certain depth of water i just possition my boat in a way up current off course so i can watch my jig drop and stop approx in the same depth or close underneath and then watch the frenzy below MATE its better than sky Tv and its digital also last nite i made an observation something the wizard asked me cause his braid isnt coloured Q {how do i kno how far of the bottom am i } by the way he is another Torsa fan so i counted cranks like i always do Torsa is 5.8 ratio and 12 cranks of the handle is 10mtrs aprox depending on how fast the current is of course Like i say bruva its great veiwing and greaty adrenalinSmile watching what is going on below .
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 11:40am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Interesting Torsa what sounder do you have? I can see my jigs and sp with the raymarine c120 and use Jigstar so I always know where my jig is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 12:30pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

DS400X colour sounder raymarine ,it was the only colour sounder i could put on my console and still have room for my handheld.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 12:37pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jimijig can you post photo of your sounder that day of all those K's i need motivating PLEASE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Matt Nolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 12:48pm
Matt Nolan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

man i need a new sounder LOL mine bearly reads the bottom and then it cuts out at 80m
for me its all faith in the marks we got and we dont do to bad either LOL

torsa what sounder have u got bro?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Matt Nolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 12:49pm
Silver
Silver

sorry i cant read haha

i might have to look into one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 1:21pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Matt Nolan you cant buy my sounder anymore , you mite get one on import i paid about $650 but it has one disadvantage being an import it dosnt read in mtrs but the next model DS500x  is avaliable at B.City on special to bruva i think about $1000 which is cheap usually $1500 I think they are entry level sounders but again its not what it is its how you use it.Wink

What happened to you yesterday? jimijig said you were coming our way i was expecting a phone call
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 2:23pm
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Furuno FCV620 is a sweet sounder can see jig's going down and comeing up ,easy to pick up fish makes for easy jigging, i dont drop if it aint lit up.
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Matt Nolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 4:18pm
Silver
Silver

What happened to you yesterday? jimijig said you were coming our way i was expecting a phone call
[/QUOTE]

TORSA,
yeah sorry bro... couldnt sus a crew and time... mate PM me you cell cause im gonna do a mish pretty soon....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 5:18pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with Chris... when you see kingis on the screen, I drop to the bottom, then work to about half way up. every 3rd crank, I bring it all the way to the top if no-one has hooked up (not very often that happens). By that time yuo are usually off the fish anyhow so it is time to circle around for anotehr shot.

Personally I think that the bigger kings roll over and hoon off after the jigs as they drop down thru the school, and then nail it on the way back up again. I think the rats tend to hold in denser masses nearer the top.

If you start getting bored with no hits down deep, it is always fun to bring the pack of rats to the back of the boat with shallow jigging, then at least you see all the fish and everyone, especailly the newbies, just have a blast seeing all the fish.

Finding the kings here at the moment seems to be a prob though... everyone I have talked to these last coupla days are cmplaining about the tons of bloody cudas out there still!
I agree though, a nice colour sounder is a marvellous tool. Be lost without mine!
cheers, Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 7:42pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Luv'n it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 10:18pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geeez, I dunno mate, not a lot of sign on that sounder there! :-)
I will have to run those lat/longs thru google earth, see where it is! :-)
Cheers, thanks for the spot-X!! :-)
Stu.

Edit: Awwww, poot... it is just south of Kapiti fer petes sake. Sighhhh... so much for a new spot X! Ratsratsrats! :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 10:57pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stabijigger is that hunters ? that looks like a good temp on ya sounder bruva it was 20.4 surface at the Nth End yesterday Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 12:21am
JTF View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murf007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 12:26am
murf007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Geeze you guys had better get your sounders looked at, that red can't be good for the screen
The Bull Sh*t stops when the first jig drops
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PimPmyPopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 12:46am
PimPmyPopper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by murf007 murf007 wrote:

Geeze you guys had better get your sounders looked at, that red can't be good for the screen
looks like that weather system passing over the country atm
Who Stole my PoPcoRn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 5:14am
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That first shot in JIMI'S post gives me a rockin hard on.
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 8:04am
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its saturday morning and that photo got me goin i mite go fishin what time will we se you out there JTF
Page  123>