BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 479480481482483 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 5:30pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Originally posted by Ruff as Guts Ruff as Guts wrote:

working on Taylors rd right next to the boat ramp for the next few days, give me a wave ill be the one with his nose pushed up against the window droolingCry 

So your job is a gay Gigolo ? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 6:06pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Na that's just his hobbie Dead Catch you fullas out there haven't fished there for a while so hard to say what the fishing will be like be sure to pack your zmans.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 6:28pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

ive only fished the point once years ago launching from Newdiks with Phish. Looking forward to It and yes got plenty of zmans.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 6:47pm
fishart View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did OK off Harrisons today. Two of us fished 9-1230 and ended up with 6 snapper 2 kahawai and a trev, dropped a few to. No sign of orca's or any workups at all. 
Showed my mate how it was done on the yak by hooking a double header of kahawai on my flasher rig and a snapper on my soft bait all at the same time and by some miracle got all three in the bin!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:22pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Got down to Maketu at 6.30am just in time to see Downtown and Toaseal launching in the dusk. Just as well so I could see where to launch from as the beach was covered in exposed rocks.
I paddled out to the point with a cool southerly behind me. Its actually 2kms to get to the point but looks closer.
Lots of seals out there on the rocks.
 Dowtown and Toaseal had a couple each in the bin but on cue the bite stopped as I arrived. Its gnarly and shallow out there and I got snagged alot and lost 6 rigs.
We drifted deeper to about 8m and I finally started catching small snaps.
Downtown and Toaseal continued to drift out another 1-2kms and Im sure got into some fishy waters.
I couldnt be ar-sed with a big paddle back so kept re drifting in about 9m off the edge of the foul.
I got a feed in the end bringing home 5 pannies and a KY and I released a few Cod, small snaps, and another KY.

By now the wind had dropped to nothing and it was real nice.
Anyway I didnt do Maketu justice ! If Raymond caught nothing I guess it was worth it LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ToaSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 1:34pm
ToaSeal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nah yesterday I went off the Domain. Headed out to Maketu with DT synod morning. Joined by Piwi. As usual DT slayed it. I kept three good sized ones for a feed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 6:39pm
Raymond Luxury Yacht View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sorry Piwi, I did okay off the Domain. I launched around 830 (a few work phone calls had me sitting in the car at the beach trying to sort things out before I could paddle), and ended up with 3 nice snaps (nothing too significant though, up to about 42cm) and two real good gurnard - my biggest ones yet. Fishing was slow though, but stunning morning out there. Kahawai all over the place, I did my best to dodge them...
Piwi, I didn't lose any rigs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 6:59pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice job Raymond I will definitely try to fish with you next time.
I hate my phone ringing while Im out there as it is sometimes an urgent job.
Such is the life of self employment.

I cant complain too much though with a pile of crumbed snapper fillets for tea Thumbs Up

Looking a bit poo for the weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 7:43pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to see everyone got a feed. I had a mean start to the day with 3 mid 40s in 3 casts before sun up then piwi came and scared them away. Hard going from then on with a rat a couple of ky a trev heaps of shetty bcs and small snaps but did manage to keep picking up the odd better one. Limited out on snaps with nothing big but a healthy plate of good fillets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 7:56pm
Raymond Luxury Yacht View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Gurnard ceviche for me... Home-grown limes and red onions too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 8:49pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

good work guys.
Last chance for a bit for me so looking to head out tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:45am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just been for a run down the beach and looks mint so Scotty and the sat morning crews should get a nice session in before it cuts up.
Couple of guys launching from Harrisons with their trailer driven down right to the waters edge, thats the way to do it. My Hiace van unfortunately sucks on sand rear wheel drive and no weight in the back.

Raymond the gurnard sounds delicious. We take great pride when we can make up the meal soley from our garden and my fish. We even have chickens and live in suburban Papamoa.
Last week my wife got the gurnard, I got the Dory, and the kids got the snapper. I try to disguise it with breadcrumbs haha.

Downtown nice result even if nobody got " the big one ". You were right about how nice that paddle back is with Maketu looking down. It was mirror calm thru there.
Thats my 3rd trip to Maketu and actually my best result so far so I sucked on the other 2 occasions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 2:09pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

little swell forecast today so went down to Rogers Road.
Launched 615 and got smashed by a biggish wave so soaked to start with- lucky was not that cold today.
paddled out to 7 metres and saw some sign so threw out softy and straight into ky for so had some fun with them for 10 mins or so before getting over it and moving on as no sign of anything else.
Got out to 10 metres and first cast was a real weird take and fight but did not have a clue what it might be when up popped what thought was big blue cod but nah pretty sure it was a brown stargazer according to website pics- can you eat these spiky suckers?
Moved out to 14 metres but next half hour no luck on softies so decided to anchor up and have strayline session- bite came on almost straight away and into snapps for next hour with smallest 40 and biggest at 49.
Bite shut down pretty quickly around 11 so packed it in and landed with no dramas.
popped in to Maketu to have a look at the surf club launch site and looks pretty good so may try that next time i get out. has anyone lauched from the boatramp or do you just use the area at the surf club?- i don't have a trolley so may have to get one if going to Maketu to get over the rocks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 2:29pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good work Scotty. Ive caught a couple of those Stargazers but havent eaten them although Ive heard they are good and related to Monkfish ?
The launch we used yesterday at Maketu was in front of the cafe. Just walk into that corner as far as the sand beach goes and wade out to knee deep and should be fairly rock friendly.
The little estuary mouth can flow quite fast so could be dodgy in a yak.
Another option is to drag the yak out in front of the estuary mouth as there are no rocks there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 6:38pm
BlindFishingNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Same fish, but just different names, or so I've been told!

Also read they can give you a an electric shock, but you can't believe everything you read on the internet!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TripleT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 11:04am
TripleT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

been back a couple of days from a few weeks out of town for work and this weather is frustrating! Question for the guys who have been heading out to motiti, did yas get cellphone reception out there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:11pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah pretty sure theres reception out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 3:07pm
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a good (s**t fish) comp in Auckland.  fished out of Jones Bay. first day we fished Kawau island. Dazlec has an interesting story about the way over. one bit of advice. listen to Stephen Tapp at the briefings about local dangers. he knows what he's talking about. I managed a reasonable 2.8kg snapper early on and I thought it was going to be a good day. from then onwards it was very slow with just a few smaller snapper. paddle back was uneventful. day 2, horrible conditions heavy rain and wind. we sat till it became light. wasn't too bad. fished on our side of the channel after talking to a local. again early caught a snapper and a small ky. had him out the back all day hoping for the kingi. not to be Cry. Great weekend with a few hours fishing. bring on Whangarei. i'm looking forward to that comp.
Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rodnodda78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 4:45pm
Rodnodda78 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes the Aucks comp was a bit frustrating, so much so we got up just after 5 and headed to Wilsons bay.....same result....nothing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wayne.L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 5:06pm
Wayne.L View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yup good reception at Motiti.
Page  <1 479480481482483 1025>