BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 292293294295296 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ToaSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:59pm
ToaSeal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I may be free downtown, will touch base if so
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Master_Soft_Baiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:59pm
Master_Soft_Baiter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Limitless Limitless wrote:

I've always found the 0.7kg folding grapnels more than adequate (sometimes too good!) provided suitable chain is used. The chain is the secret to keeping the flukes engaged in the sand. For the Whangarei harbour I used 6m of 5mm galv chain and had no problems with my Swing or Scupper Dive dragging (it's been a while since I anchored in a harbour hence the older model kayaks).

Thanks for the tip. Thats a lot of chain! Will have to give it a go then Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:15pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

out today with newbee myself and toaseal on the water just before 2, not bad conditions with the odd 1m set coming through but all got out easy enough. fishing was good i ended up with 8snaps 2ky 2trevs and a gurnard. my newbee mate got a couple of snaps and kys and was stoked even after getting turtled at the end. toaseal had a good feed of snaps to back on land 530ish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ToaSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 11:33pm
ToaSeal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah a little disappointing Downtown, with our three yaks and the other three that came in with only one turtle out of six with a one meter swell rolling in I was expecting a bit more carnage, and dear I say so too were the few onlookers.... Good couple of hours out on the briney through back a heap of kawahi, a small skippy. Kept four out of nine snaps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:11pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Guys, Last time I Spam your thread... I PROMISE.

Just a reminder the Fishing Net Tauranga comp is on this Saturday. Briefing is tomorrow, 7pm at the Tauranga Fish and Dive Club, 60 Dive Cres, Sulpher Point. $20 entry, with over $1000 in spot prizes alone its really worth having a go. 

A spot prize of a days fishing withe Nomad Sportfishing Adventures will be drawn at the brief, So come down, have a meet and a beer and show us boaties how its done. 

Anyone looking for more information can find it in the Briney Bar at the top of the page. Or drop me a PM. 

Really hope some of you can make it for an awesome competition. 

Cheers heaps
Jono
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 6:22pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty gutted i cant do the comp saturday but mrs has will let me out sunday conditions look mint and im thinking maketu or rogers rd anyone welcome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Armstrong 2 stroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 6:40pm
Armstrong 2 stroke View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We going to comp tomorrow and thinking about rodgers rd sunday..might see you there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 7:38pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

word is the pukehina reef from the surf club is fishing really well.
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Armstrong 2 stroke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 8:35pm
Armstrong 2 stroke View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah we were out there last weekend and another kayaker got a monser from the reef..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bullman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 2:18pm
bullman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out from Taylors saturday morning with beautiful conditions,fishing from 7am to 10am about 2-3 ks out.First fish came aboard round 8 (guarnard) followed soon after by 2 pannie snapper then it was all on with the Kahawhai everywhere,counldnt get a bait down past them so after 6 keepers and many releases came back to shore without getting wet.Great morning and a good feed.
Tried my luck again this morning with my neighbour,conditions were not as good with alot more chop,breeze and less sunny,but the kahawai were still there,ended up with 8 and a blue mackerell but not snapper between us,still a good morning and some more fish for lunch done with cajun,bread crumbs and egg,great stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carpetdestroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:34pm
Carpetdestroyer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just like Bullman,
 Me and a pal also went out Saturday and Sunday :-)
Saturday we went out from Motiti Rd car park at 06:30 and fished til 11:30, paddled out to about 3-4k (20 metres deep) Trolled a soft bait whilst on the way out and could of caught untold huge Kahawai.......but settled for about 4 or so each. Once at 20 metres we drifted using Squid, and i ended up with 6 Pannies and loads of undersized ones, my pal caught about 5 Pannies and a decent one of about 40cm... plus a nice Trevally. Whilst bringing in the Trevally he noticed a huge 20kg plus Kingie under his Yak.....which we presume was what took his bait on the next cast....as he was being dragged towards Motiti Island at a fair rate of knotsLOL i paddled up and joined his ride...which lasted for about 5 minutes until it spat the hook.......and as my Mrs had a hair appointment booked for 12:30 was probably a good job otherwise i wouldn't of been allowed out to play again Sunday morningWink

Sunday morning we once again left Motiti Rd car  park at about 06:30...but as Bullman said...the weather wasn't quite as good...so we decided to stop at about 2k out...caught more Kahawai on the way out again, but only kept one for the smoker this time and released the rest. With the offshore wind...i think it didn't take long until we drifted  back to nearer 3k anyway (note to self ...must buy a sea anchor) i started off with a nice Gurnard and a couple of Pannies and my pal Leon also caught a couple when we decided to anchor up to save a longer paddle home again.......we must have caught about 15 keepers between us plus quite a few more ( annoying by now ) Kahawai, when i caught my 1st ever rat Kingie about 65-70cm which i was pretty chuffed with Clap.
We set back for the beach at about 11:45....although i was feeling pretty confident about yesterdays dry take off and landing.....i decided to strap my rods down this day, unlike Leon who has never turtled and just went for it........Yep...he didnt turn the Yak, but was kicked out of it lol......i swiftly followed...feeling less confident now and was quickly and unceremoniously turned upside downOuch lost pride and a water bottle, but that was all Smile.
 Really enjoyed the weekends fishing and looking forward to the next one Smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Big O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:14pm
The Big O View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi team, here it is, I'm off to Oz so here's someone's chance to bag a bargain, my loaded kayak, no reserve on Trade Me....my phone number's are in my listing for my concrete kerbing trailer.

www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=469360255&ed=true

Best of luck and tight lines, cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 1:22pm
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How far out is the reef at pukehine phishpula?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ToaSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 8:37pm
ToaSeal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done carpet, sounds like two days of awesome fishing, few and far between this summer....  nothing like the post fish swim...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 6:26am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Allpom theres quite a few patches of foul at Pukehina starting at about 800m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:38pm
Big Guy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A great report Carpet, a good read. cheers.
I managed to get out opn Sunday off Main Beach before sunrise. Was pretty quickly surrounded by boats (at least 9 by the time I left around 10am) and catching lots of undersized snaps & by 9.30 I had just 4 pannies under 30cm. I moved a couple of times and landed several more undersizes- a few woth all three ledger hooks full- The best hook up of the day was also a KY along with two more smallie snaps, Hit the beach with 6 snaps, 2 carrots and the KY. Most were caught using bonito although a few on softies including the carrots. First time outside the harbour for literally ages. I have been doing really well in the Te Puna area just a few hundred meters off the Waitui reserve so have been there regularly while waiting for swells to drop. I imagine that the snaps will be moving out soon so not too many weeks left for the harbour I guess, so hoping that the swell will level off soon too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 9:05am
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Allpom Allpom wrote:

How far out is the reef at pukehine phishpula?

Have a look a marine garage under the trip planning thread. There are two rocks infront of the surf club. I normally fish the one on the right about 1.8km from the beach. But as piwi says there are some patches of foul all the way out there. It is really knarly territory so much better using light jig heads or straylining
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ToaSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:08am
ToaSeal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to see the weather has turned, and the wind and sea has picked up, must be a fishing comp coming up.  ANy lads form here entering the East Cape Mission Comp this weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ToaSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:52am
ToaSeal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished the East Cape Mission Kayak Comp based out of Ohope in the weekend with a mate,  Awesome comp, though I never caught the big one, however came out of it with a good feed.  Swells were hairy on Saturday, managed to get out ok, but soft baiting in 2 metre plus wasn't that comfortable, not to mention the turtle on the way in, though was funny having my mate get sea sick and provide berley (to no avail).  Fished our own back yard on Sunday, off Rogers Road, loads of pannies and small kawhai, but the big one eluded us.  Heaviest and second heaviest snapper was only separated by 150 grams give or take, both in about the 8.7 kilo mark.

Definitely going to have a crack next year, though eyeing up the bridge to cape comp in June.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:27pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like you guys had a good time im pretty keen to get out later this week or weekend. Yeah theres 2 good comps im looking at hitting bridge to cape late june and the bounty hunter in early july
Page  <1 292293294295296 1025>