BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 543544545546547 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 6:49pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not been to Rogers myself for while but a mate has and been pretty tough going.
Think I am going east tbh after hearing his reports over last couple of weeks
Keen for couple beers schecter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:09am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Scotty Omaio sounds good maybe you and Schecter can pair up although I think there will be others going down.
Swellmap looking really good at this stage for saturday morning 5 knots southwest and .4m swell Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MaccaYakka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:42am
MaccaYakka View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i know there are a few heading to Maraenui as well, that is where the biggest snapper last year came from and the winning team fished from there too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:09pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by piwikiwi piwikiwi wrote:

Scotty Omaio sounds good maybe you and Schecter can pair up although I think there will be others going down.
Swellmap looking really good at this stage for saturday morning 5 knots southwest and .4m swell Smile

Sounds good.  If I can buddy up that will be even better!  I have been looking into Hawai, Maraenui or possibly Omaio - it's a big drive.  If a decision is made to head to H, M or O it's looking likely I'll have to have a quick beer and drive to my Aunts place in Opotiki for Friday night.  Fingers crossed for awesome weather and swell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:36pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Schecter yeah looks like spot O for us now so give your Aunty a call Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 10:29pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Schecter yeah looks like spot O for us now so give your Aunty a call Smile

Shocked Spot O is starting to look crowded, can't you guys find somewhere else to fish?
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MaccaYakka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 9:26am
MaccaYakka View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

there is be plenty of water from Opape (biggest Kahawai from last years tournament caught at Opape) east.  There is plenty of other great fishing spots closer to the home base of Whakatane as well.  The two kingfish that were caught in last years comp where caught within a 15 min drive from sports fishing club to the launching place, so you don't need to go far to find the fish.....

See all that have entered on Friday at the breifing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 1:32pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Potty its obviously a popular spot. Ive never fished there and am keen to experience it. The forecast is still looking primo for Matata way but weve decided to try somewhere new. I will feel terribly guilty if I take the big one from under your yak though LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:18pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Potty its obviously a popular spot. Ive never fished there and am keen to experience it. The forecast is still looking primo for Matata way but weve decided to try somewhere new.

I will feel terribly guilty if I take the big one from under your yak though LOL

Yep that would be a low blow, considering it's my 50th on the day.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plane to sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 3:51pm
Plane to sea View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone thinking of heading out from Papamoa tomorrow? Good luck to all the guys in the comp this weekend btw
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper_Stalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 5:07pm
Snapper_Stalker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm definitely heading out tomorrow morning. I've almost forgotten what it feels like to be on the kayak. 

Was thinking of Taylor's reserve at 5.45am if you want to join me?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plane to sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 5:42pm
Plane to sea View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sweet, I'm keen to be on the water at first light. See ya there mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper_Stalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 6:58pm
Snapper_Stalker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice,. I hope the fish hungry!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 7:09pm
fishart View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Firstly very best of luck to all fishing the comp weather looks good.
Secondly I finally got out this morning off Harrison's. Things were quite busy for the first hour with lots of hits and misses and a busted flasher rig but after all the action I had just 1 Kahawai and a Trev. Oh well dinner was secured. 
Spent another 2 hours trying for the elusive snapper and despite fishing through some really good sign and lots of working kahawai I finished at 9am with 4 kahawai and 1 trev. Really enjoyed being out finally water was bloody warm showing  23deg on the sounder!!
Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ruff as Guts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 3:18pm
Ruff as Guts View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A turned up to Rodgers this morning and it looked real messy so decided to try Thornton. Its a great looking spot but I only got two Kahawai. Could have filled the yak with them!! Oh well back into hibernation LOL   Hopefully the boys slayed them down OmaioThumbs Up Im off to have a wee kip before heading to Whakatane for the prise giving 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SmallBoatBigOcean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 3:43pm
SmallBoatBigOcean View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Better than sitting on the couch like I did ruff! Chuck those bad boys in the smoker!

Interested to see how everyone else did.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 9:13pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Pretty average really.
Couple decent snaps and ky but nowhere near weight required for prize.
Had good fun with heaps of rats on bait - was hoping for a biggie in amongst the rats but not to be.
Awesome conditions out east just not on the marks.
Couple went out from next one up from Rogers and did well but waves were bit messy getting out they said ruff
Well run comp tho so well done all involved in organising the event
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 9:50pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Was a fun weekend putting faces to names and catching up and having a beer or 2.
Allpom booked us into a caravan at Opape and we got down there about 9.30pm friday after registration. About 76 anglers entered with some gurus like Stephen Tapp and Rob Fort etc.
Had a few more beersies with Allpom and Dazlec at the caravan and then off to sleep for a 4am start.

Got down to Omaio about 5am to meet Scottyboy who slept in his car down there. Schecter also hooked up with us and we all headed out into the dark. There were a couple of others there but not really busy.

I went out to Tims spot in 18m off the point by the cray pots. The others got some livies. Fishing was real slow and I didnt have much action at all for the first 2 hours. I saw Schecter hook a nice legal Kingi and his microjigs worked well as he also got a 50cm + snapper which won a category prize.

I moved into the wash by the cliff face round the corner from the point where it was 10m deep 5m from the shore and beautiful blue water. I got a ratking and saw 2 sharks cruising by. Also got a Kahawai of reasonable size but turned out so did loads of others in the comp.

Finally got some keeper snapper but nothing over 40cm. Had a thumping headache by 11am so called it quits and went in.

Drove back to the weigh in and watched some of the others weighing in. Biggest Kingi was about 10kg and winning snapper was 6kg I think. Only 1 gurnard weighed in !

Everyone got a spot prize at prize giving and Schecter and the boys who fished down Matata/Rogers got some category prizes. Tuna in at Rogers too as they got a nice skippie in 18m.

Beautiful country down there even if I dont know how to fish it LOL
Big thanks to the EBOP club and sponsors for a well organised event.

If I go in it next year I will probably stay closer to home and use some local knowledge.

Took some Gopro footage no fish but just some scenery.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 9:20am
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As piwi said. Great comp. I think everyone went away with something. My first rat was the biggest. Thought it was legal at first sight. Had a good day ,but nothing big. Nice to fish a different spot. Bring on taranaki mid April.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 3:47pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Im going to get  some micro jigs as they look to work well and Im a one dimensional softbaiter right now Smile

What weight do you guys find works well in about 20m of water ? 30-40gms ?
Also any recomendations on style/colour ?
Page  <1 543544545546547 1025>