BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 293294295296297 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skonski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:39pm
Skonski View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone thinking of heading out on wed morn? Swellmap looks good enough to take a day off....   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote plastic tiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:53pm
plastic tiki View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

East Cape Mission adventure

A bit of a stuttery start to this one for me with my team mate blowing out his shoulder at work and having to pull the pin late. I pm'd rayh late on Thursday night to see if i could tag along with him and glynn as i wasn't keen on fishing on my own on Saturday due to the poor :?: forecast.

We headed down the coast stopping at the Ohope Chartered club to see where the business was going to happen for weigh in and the prizegiving and catch up with Orty for a chat and try and work out where people were going to try on Saturday. We were quickly on the road again and rayh and glynn kindly let me crash with them in Te Kaha. The boat ramp at Te Kaha looked calm and that was 'plan A'. We stashed our gear and headed further east for a recce to find a spot to fish in case the wind changed direction over night and found a couple of likely looking spots (plan B).

We got up at 5am Saturday morning to 30kts coming straight in to Te Kaha and a very ugly sea, 'plan A' out the window and back to bed until sunrise, up again at 7 and on the road. We arrived at our spot with a good sized swell rolling in but safe launching. The fishing was quite hard, rayh and glyn stuck to the softies and drifted the bay. I anchored up and deployed the berley, the fishing was slow. I got a fewmacks in the berley so started cathing them and butterflying them. I soon picked up a reasonable kahawai then a small pannie, after another hour i got a good sized pannie which went 1.8 kg's then a 1.3kg JD (not on the comp list). rayh and glyn weren't having much success with rayh picking up a reasonable kahawai and the sea was getting worse so we pulled the pin and headed back to have some lunch and plan an afternoon attack. After lunch the weather worsened so it was back to catch a zzz's and we decided to head back and weigh in.

A few suprises at weigh in with most staying away the first night and only 14 odd people weighing in. However it was a good opportunity to check on the weather, the forecast for Sunday was looking very promising so back to base and we planned to head back to the same spot.

Up at 5.30 and on the water just after first light, what a change a day makes with almost perfect glassy conditions and next to no swell at all. We spread out to fins the fish, i wasn't having much success and after an hour or so decided to check out what glynn was up to. He had a huge school of macks below and was loading up on livies, then he was hooking up on rat kings and getting smoked by some good snapper. I anchored up and joined the action, getting taken to the cleaners on almost every cast. rayh soon joined us and the action was full on for almost 2 hours. I made a number of schoolboy errors, anchoring and drifting into glyn and whilst untangling myself from that i had a strayline out which while i was turning got tip wrapped then absolutely smashed by a fish which resulted in a broken rod in very spectacular fashion ]:) . I had too many rods out and kept missing the strike and they had me if the weed :doh:

It wasn't all going the fish's way however with glyn picking up some respectable snaps, he had an absolute ripper on for a good 7-8 minutes before getting right royally reefed. rayh got some some good kahawai and some nice sized pannies. Glyn was slaying rat king after rat king. He kindly let me hook one too, which he insisted was one he'd already caught and released, i decided to measure it for myself. It wasn't huge but it was legal at 80cm and in the bag he went :rock: . I picked up a couple of nice pannies and got reefed by some very big fish which i couldn't stop, rayh and glyn ended up the same. Note to selves - bigger gear required and only one bait at a time :)

The action died off and we picked another fish or two each for eating and headed in. Washed, cleaned and back to the weigh in. Hot home made soup and buttered french stick on arrival (nice one Justin) fish weighed in with Glyn's spapper going 2.4kgs, my king going a measly 5.77kg and rayh's kahawai just a 'little' over 2kgs. We arrived to see a very good snapper being weighed just shy of the 20lb mark, and soon another very close to the first. We waited with baited breath to see what the locals would weigh as well as the guys that put in the miles and went to hicks and lottin pt.

Prizegiving kicked off with Rob Fort as mc this time, a great venue with the cheapest beer i've had in sometime. We sat at the lucky table, glynn picked up the average weight snapper prize, rayh the heaviest kahawai and i managed the heaviest kingfish as surprisingly it was the only one weighed in. I also managed the overall combined weight trophy. I'll let the others post about their fish as there are some great stories to go with the fish weighed.

I have to say a big thanks rayh and glyn and to Justin for his organisational skills and of course the sponsors who have the made the series as much fun as it has been so far and i'm looking forward to the Kayak Pro Bridge to Cape.

PT

The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carpetdestroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 4:14pm
Carpetdestroyer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Excellent tr PT, Great reading
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 4:51pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Im thinking early morning mission on saturday from maketu if anyones keen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 5:30pm
Big Guy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

wot about tomorrow?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 5:36pm
fishkiller View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I IM IM SEE U ALL THERE SATERDAY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ToaSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 9:30am
ToaSeal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

With ishing last weekend in the comp, hard to get out on saturday, missus will want a break from the kids, however maybe able to swing it on unday if conditions good downtown

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:43am
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went out this morning with kiwi fisho at 6.30 off of karewa. there was a bit of an off shore/ easterly breeze. we paddle out to about 12 meters. put my line down and almost straight away i hooked up.  got in to the kayak and then lost it. After that we were drifting apart. i saw fisho had hooked up a couple of times.
Quite a while later, after trying numerous different softies, and loads of small bites i caught a 29cm snapper. i kept it as i didn't want to go home empty handed.
Hooked up a couple of ky, as there was a lot of surface fish action. not it tight schools but spread out.
then, not on a huge bite, bag, off goes my line. i had a great fight for 8 to 10 minutes. Pb (from my kayak). 11lb
Heading out with Dazlec for a very early one tomorrow morning. On the water for 4.30am.  not sure why, but it will be fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 2:32pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Sweet fish Allpom !
4.30am? You are crazy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ToaSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 3:07pm
ToaSeal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish allpom, I'm with piwi with the 430 start..lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 4:20pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish all pom worth the hard yards.  I am doing an early start of Pukehina tommorrow if any one else is keen let me know. 
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 4:44pm
Kiwifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just a heads up fellas for those who need to make some marks on their yak about 27cm and 70cm long..... Met a new fisheries officer down the beach this arvo while I was throwing some bodies back into the sea. He lives close by and will be patrolling this area a lot more. Good to see.

Allpom, that snapper only went 68cm, not 70, did you think about throwing it back???!!!Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 5:08pm
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i think you mean 75cm kiwifisho.
Only doing a 4.30 start as that is what we done for the cobra comp and quite enjoyed it. as, fits in well with Kids morning sport.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 6:36pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I hope you ralise it is still dark at 430, you will be coming in as I am going out by the sound of it, congrats on the pb. dale
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carpetdestroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 7:42pm
Bronze
Bronze

Nice fish Allpom Smile
 Me and a pal are out from Shark Alley.....Leisure Island @ 06:30 if anyone wants to join us....prob going to fish about 1/2- 1k behind Rabbit Island Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carpetdestroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 7:47pm
Bronze
Bronze

P.S.............sitting here on the computer...when i hear a knock on the door........................Father-in-law has been fishing in the channel by the Mount with a mate and has dropped off a few Snapper and a Kahawai..................................do i still need to go out fishing @ 06:30 in the morning?????                                                                                                                             

((((((((((((((((((((((((((**** YEAH))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 7:48pm
fishkiller View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

which car park pete . skippes should be more prolifik there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 3:56pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Me and my old man out from maketu just before 6 mint conditions that only got better as the day went on.The fishing was good to 18 snaps 3ky and a trev. snaps all between 35cm and 55cm. only problem is having 36 fillets to get rid of, such a tough life
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 4:05pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Bring em round to my place Downtown. I missed out today with kids sports so heading out off Domain at 7 tomorow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ToaSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 5:30pm
ToaSeal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done downtown, good to see Maketu still fishing again.  Did you your old man  out of his kayak again (he did last week when it was glassy)
Page  <1 293294295296297 1025>