Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 360361362363364 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 3:30pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

try bait mate ,its a old fishing style ,but it works
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 9:21pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lowbox Lowbox wrote:

The winner was Coconut Ice softbait again - the murky water needs a brighter colour? The Kaburas were only hit a couple of times. Biggest Snap went 48cm.

Good fishing, Lowbox. There seem to be some quality fish in that area, feeding on the little shellfish/crustaceans that FQ has reported they spit up. I reckon the colour is probably a decent match for their food, ditto New Penny. But another factor may be that the Coconut Ice has lumo in it (as do the Z Man Nuke Pilchard and Redbone). So maybe in the murky water, it shows up really well?? I think it's worth checking out your lures in the dark with a UV torch and note which ones are lumo (keep glowing after the torch goes out), which ones have high UV content (but don't glow after the torch goes out) etc. Some stay dark, and my thinking is they are probably best in clear water, not at depth or in murky water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 1:33pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Out again this morning at dawn to ensure we had fish for Xmas.

Drifted between Stanley Point and the Harbour Bridge on the incoming tide
whats the conditions like in an easterly or north east on that side of the harbour either incoming or outgoing, want to get my kayak out for fish, not familiar with conditions around there, cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 8:14am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The tide can motor along there so might be a bit of a mission to get back up current in a yak. But you do see people out there, especially around the naval base.  Wind against tide can be a bit rumpty but an incoming tide and an easterly would be pleasant. Maybe someone with more yak experience can comment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 10:34am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Merry Xmas everyone.  Would have been nice to fish the city channel this morning, but the tide was roaring in, so would need to seek the sides for a drift rate under 2 knots.Doing the right thing, relaxing with the family.
Cheers
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:23pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The tide can motor along there so might be a bit of a mission to get back up current in a yak. But you do see people out there, especially around the naval base.  Wind against tide can be a bit rumpty but an incoming tide and an easterly would be pleasant. Maybe someone with more yak experience can comment.
Would the current be less flowing, closer in on the city side.
Was walking by the tank farm a few days ago, spoke to some fiishers who were surf casting there using squid bait, had a few snaps around 45cm in their chilly bin, just unsure about the current with the kayak, can be bloody hard yakka out there.... also, would certainly be sheltered in a SW wind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:43pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

There's an eddy running from the main Fergusson container wharf thru to the wharf where they unload cars.  Drift speed drops away to zero and may even circulate back against the tide.  Would be easier paddling there, but a bit busy at times.  Need to find the right distance out from shore to have a decent drift speed going.  On Saturday the drift speed dropped from 2.6 knots down the guts to 1.8 knots when about 100 m off the naval docks.  Still pretty quick. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 6:43pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

30th morning trip from Westhaven.  Bit of a lazy start.....   Drift off the dockyard produced 50cm on the first drop (motor oil grub dragged) at 6:15.  Another keeper on new penny jerk bait (will be on the bbq any minute nom nom).  That was pretty much it.  Seemingly endless slack water so came home for domestics.

Moral: get the f%*k up an hour earlier you lazy sod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:36am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

3 short reports

Friday 28/12/18  7:30 to 11:30 am
Picked up my former boss from his house at Stanley Point. He has a jetty there, but had to wade due to the low tide.  He caught the biggest snapper he's caught in years (54cms) along with a small snapper and a small KY.  I dropped him off at the jetty about 10:45 and caught 3 snapper in about 30 minutes on the way back to Okahu bay.  All the fish were caught in the city channel between Devonport wharf and the naval base, but we spent quite a bit of time near the container terminal sheltering from the SW wind.

Tuesday 1/1/19  7 to 9:45am
Tried  near Devonport wharf, then 19 to 17 buoys with Redfinger in his boat catching while we weren't.  We then followed him to 12 to 10 buoys where ditto (he caught and we watched).  Finally went to 8 buoy and drifted almost out to 2 buoy.  The sign on the bottom was promising, but only put-backs caught.  We gave up when the tide ran out with zilch in the bin.

Thursday 3/1/19  7:15 to 9:30 am
Back to the city channel on an outgoing tide, light SW, better half along for the ride.  The kaburas were pretty useless but maybe the drift speed was a bit high - around 2 knots.  Had a few crazylegs in pink shine and curried chicken, and when jiggled they got lots of interest, but again only tiddly snapper.  Once they had destroyed the crazylegs, changed to gulp nuke chook 5" shads, and these were a bit more durable.  Eventually caught a 36cm snapper which went home for a lunch date.  Released a 
couple around 32cms.  Kabura only worked when slow retrieved.

Flicked a little silver toby at the KY around 19 buoy, but no interest.  The terns and petrels are in the city channel area most days chasing the small KY workups.  Sometimes with dolphins.

Maybe brmbrm is right - need to get up earlier.  Plenty of fish on the finder, just not hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 11:23am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

3 short reports

Friday 28/12/18  7:30 to 11:30 am
Picked up my former boss from his house at Stanley Point. He has a jetty there, but had to wade due to the low tide.  He caught the biggest snapper he's caught in years (54cms) along with a small snapper and a small KY.  I dropped him off at the jetty about 10:45 and caught 3 snapper in about 30 minutes on the way back to Okahu bay.  All the fish were caught in the city channel between Devonport wharf and the naval base, but we spent quite a bit of time near the container terminal sheltering from the SW wind.

Tuesday 1/1/19  7 to 9:45am
Tried  near Devonport wharf, then 19 to 17 buoys with Redfinger in his boat catching while we weren't.  We then followed him to 12 to 10 buoys where ditto (he caught and we watched).  Finally went to 8 buoy and drifted almost out to 2 buoy.  The sign on the bottom was promising, but only put-backs caught.  We gave up when the tide ran out with zilch in the bin.

Thursday 3/1/19  7:15 to 9:30 am
Back to the city channel on an outgoing tide, light SW, better half along for the ride.  The kaburas were pretty useless but maybe the drift speed was a bit high - around 2 knots.  Had a few crazylegs in pink shine and curried chicken, and when jiggled they got lots of interest, but again only tiddly snapper.  Once they had destroyed the crazylegs, changed to gulp nuke chook 5" shads, and these were a bit more durable.  Eventually caught a 36cm snapper which went home for a lunch date.  Released a 
couple around 32cms.  Kabura only worked when slow retrieved.

Flicked a little silver toby at the KY around 19 buoy, but no interest.  The terns and petrels are in the city channel area most days chasing the small KY workups.  Sometimes with dolphins.

Maybe brmbrm is right - need to get up earlier.  Plenty of fish on the finder, just not hungry.

Hippy new year Far Quirk, few questions, I deal drift speed? Weight for drift speed? Outgoing or incoming.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 1:31pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Mouthu

If you read my last report carefully out of three sessions I had a zilch and a 1, so I speak as a keen amateur, not an expert.

The bit of water I know best is the city channel that stretches from a line between Stanley Point and the Hilton (western end) and between 19 (green) and 20 (red) buoys at the eastern end.  It's between 12 to 18m deep, and fairly clean.  This makes it easier to set and forget a dragged lure, which is my usual lazy mode.

Time of day might be important now, but once the fishing kicks in any time of day can give good results.

In or out, the tide doesn't matter, except for drag fishing, there must be some tidal flow, so about 1/2 hour each side of hi or lo tide is usually poor.  Tidal flows from 0.5 to 2.5 knots have all produced fish but around 0.7 to 1.8 knots is easier.

Wind against tide is awkward, and sharply diagonal drifts across the channel are often fishless.

Over the last few summers a yellow/orange kabura in the rod holder has caught heaps of fish in the 60g size, just a few meters behind the boat. For soft baits fished out the back (maybe 60 to 70m back) about half an ounce is usually enough for up to 1.8 knots. and 1 oz is OK up to 2.5 knots.

Others may have different opinions - happy to see some discussion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 4:28pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good to see you out there MR FQ - And get your freshwater mojo on for tomorrows change of scene Trout jIgging!
Heaps of sign - you are right - we saw the most fish ard on bottom from Devonport to North head right down to the deep hole near the compass rose - dont normally fish there but willc ertainly look further around int his area and across to red markers closer to obc.
wE only tried zman 4 inch curlies and nuc chooks with zman doing much better on the day - alot of collateral damage with 3 tails being shredded to pieces by the little buggers - must have landed a dozen smaller fish 22 to 30cm but happy with a 3-4 good eaters - thats all i wnat plus a bonus gurnard over 40cm.
Your last couple trips not that flash but overall you are one of the most consistent true harbour fisherman i know.
Another spot close to here is a place i call the bubbles off narrow neck - undulating bottom with a few holes (seee chart and you will know what i mean - usually tonnes of kayaks around)that can be ok too at times with the drifted softy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (8) Likes(8)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 4:42pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Headed out to the Rangi chanel first thing Saturday. Snapper didn't seem to be playing ball, so I decided to cast a popper around the bouys.

Nada on the first, but on the next bouy my popper got abosutely nailed. Put the boat in gear to lead the fish away from the chain...and also the approaching cruise ship.

Lost a ****e load of line from the Stradic 5000, but once things settled down I got most of the line back. However a stalemate ensured, as the Illusion 4-8kg softbait rod didn't really have the lifting power required.

After 30min I had a nice fish boatside, but with no gaff...feck.. feck...feck!   Mr kingfish then decided he had seen enough of the Fyran and decided to head for the bottom.

Another 15min later I again had it boatside. I tried using the nett, but it was way to small. So I took a couple of wraps on the trace, gabbed its tail and lying horizonal man handled it into the boat.

Very happy with one 15kg kingfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 4:48pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work Clay!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 5:04pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 9:00pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Love your work.  Liked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 10:17pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Outstanding fish and so close in,and an original way to land it.

Who needs a gaff or net.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:03am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by mouthu mouthu wrote:

Hippy new year Far Quirk, few questions, I deal drift speed? Weight for drift speed? Outgoing or incoming.

Inner harbour is full of fish mate.

Very easy to limit if you fish bait and burley on anchor on the channel edges. Boring I know but easy, especially for the kids. Plenty of pannie snapper there for young and old. Not too many undersize either!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 10:37am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great read Clay! Nice Kingi & Photo. Liked..Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 11:17am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Outstanding Clay - going out Friday for a kingie mission from Browns Bay - that would be nice!
Page  <1 360361362363364 393>