Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 356357358359360 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 11:01am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Trip out Saturday morning - 3 snapper 35-42 cm in an hour before the tide died, didn't pick up after that.  Moral: get there earlier.

Softbaits only.  Worked lures no good. Rod holder does the trick: motor oil and new penny. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:11pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Surely someone's been out since the end of June??

I went out to a local reef on Sunday afternoon with my 83-year-old dad in his old Parkercraft 10ft. We went old school, bait and berley, and I rowed the short distance to a spot in about 2m where the current takes berley into the reef.
Slow fishing, but we got a nice bin of 6 snapper - the best just over 50cm just after dark - and quite a few 35cm kahawai. The fish were very tentative on the bite, had to be very patient with circle hooks.

A rising N-NW chop made liars of the marine forecasters on all three sites i looked at, which predicted wind dropping to nearly nothing, but no problem for the Parkercraft.
The bite died off after about 6.30pm, though there was a swarm of baitfish still in the berley. We headed home with a good feed, all caught within a decent pitching wedge of the houses overlooking the beach. We spoke to a shore-based fisho who was just arriving to get some fresh bait in the shallows, ready for a mid-night start. He reckoned he'd got a 10lber on unweighted fresh bait in 1m of water the other night, on low tide. Good luck to him if he's prepared to fish 1am to 5am!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 6:54am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Two months since my last post?  I have an excuse - overseas until September, then back to catch some fish.  Getting a bit frustrated to be honest, starting to buy random fishing tackle, not the same thing though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 9:50am
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, I know the feeling that prompts tackle purchasing as a vicarious fishing fix all too well! 
Also, I re-read my folder of soft bait technique articles, collected over the past couple of years.One thing's for sure, I don't lack for preparation...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 2:17pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hey Lester

Yes, I sneaked out last Sunday 12/8/18 and fished some local reefs.  Used bait & berley & caught 3 x 35cm KY at Karaka Bay reef in 5m, not far from Graeme Hart's place.  Another 2 KY at the southeast end of Brown's Island again about 5m, fishing back into a reef.  Also got 1 x 33cm snapper 5:45pm along with a lot of other undersized ones.  Fished 4 to 6:30pm and got back to Kohi ramp in the dark.

This weekend I'm targeting gurnard and trevally in the Manukau.  My report will be in the Manukau thread.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 10:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good one, Geoff. Nice to get out on the water in the middle of winter.

Tough luck that you didn't pull a couple of good snapper out of those reefs. I have heard the ones at Browns, in particular, hold some good fish. But I guess it takes a lot of patience and multiple trips to really up the chances of some bigger fish - law of averages etc.

Look forward to the Manukau report.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 8:31pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A lot of my clients were out and about last weekend - inclose at Rangi shallows seemed to be the most consistent but generally quite tough fishing reported in the weekend for the small boats in close.
Good to see TTK out there getting the job done - old school 10 foot parker styles - nice touch too with him adopting the new "TAKE A FATHER" fishing!
Bit of a worry if Far Quirk is struggling too - nice to see him out there doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 8:02pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 26/8/18  7:30 am to 12:15pm

The forecast was for overcast weather with light SW and possible showers.  The showers threatened, but stayed away.  I took a colleague from work who was keen to fish some of the spots I've begged/pilfered from some of the legends of this forum.  Redfinger pointed the way to a spot up against the rocks at Rangitoto, and another one not far from Browns Bay.  Snap gave the thumbs up to another one near Takapuna.  We left Okahu Bay and went to Takapuna first for the beginning of the outgoing tide.  Used bait and berley and tried to catch some sprats but plagued by baby snapper.  Had some KY bait from the freezer and put out some lightly weighted bigger baits, but all shredded by the pickers.

After about and hour with an empty bin, we headed for the Rangi shallows.  "Russells Foul" showed promise with a huge run on a big KY bait, but busted off.  Felt like a good snap.  A while later a decent sized ray grabbed a flasher rig and had us busy.  After about 10 minutes of charging round the boat it broke off.  The end of the flasher rig bottom dropper was badly chafed and worn thru.  Stephen picked up a panny and a just-legal snapper and I got a medium KY.  But the pickers came back so time for a move.

The wind had come up, so to avoid a drenching in the FC 390, we tacked over to Takapuna before turning north to Russell's Rock.  Put down a Salty Dog salmon berley and sat back to admire the mighty oil slick.  We had been using salmon berley from Top Catch that had no oil, and was very slow to disperse, so a pleasure to use a decent salmon berley for a change.  We were getting some good hits but more bustoffs and fish stuck in weed.  We left with no further addition to the bin, but the spot showed promise, just needed a bit more time and experimentation.

We both got a small feed and enjoyed the session.  Pity some of the bigger ones didn't stick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Some days are just tough going Mr FQ, and I think it was the full moon on Sunday? Never easy in the shallows I reckon. But getting out on the water certainly beats doing the lawns etc.

If you ask RF nicely, he might show you 'Russell's Crack', 'Russell's Knob', and 'Russell's Gut'. The first one can be hairy in certain conditions, the second one can be quite hard depending on the time of day, and the third gets bigger each season.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:45am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 8/9/18  6 to 9 am

Southerly was predicted to get stronger, and this can be a good time to fish in close to Tamaki Drive.  Launched Kohi and 2 mins later down pick in 3m, inside the 200m yellow buoys with odd patches of weed all round.  Salmon berley deployed, and straylines with 1/8 to 1/4 oz sinkers and mainly salted bonito bait set.  The snapper started about 10 minutes later and kept coming - a steady stream of 32 to 38cm snaps along with some medium KY.  By 8 the best of the bite was over and only pickers remained, but stayed on in hope of a bigger model.

I call this area Keith's reef in honour of Keith Colcius, who started this thread over 10 years ago.  He showed me the spot and it's produced snapper into the mid fifties during the winter and spring.  Onya Keith.  And yes, you lose the odd fish to the weed, but patience, and they often swim free.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:33am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great to hear the spot is still working Geoff. Such an awesome feeling to pick fish up that shallow and where you can often hear the voices of those on the sidewalk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:53pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 22/9/18 6:45 to 9:45 am

Back to Keith's reef near Tamaki Drive.  Similar weather and tide to 2 weeks ago and very similar fishing.  Unfortunately only small snapper around but kept 6 fat ones from 32 to 34 cms.  Had number 7 on the line for about an hour, but it dived into some weed in the first minute.  Would pull it up tight against the weed, chicken out with the pressure, then put the rod back in the rod holder with about 2 m of slack line, hoping it would swim out and free the line.  Was still there when #6 was in the bin. so pulled up the anchor, floated over the top of it and gave it heaps.  Ping, bugga.

This was a minor tackle test.  Tried Gammie 8/0 vs Mustad 8/0  - both circle hooks.  The Mustad ones look a full size smaller than the Gammies.  A couple of fish swallowed the Mustad hooks, but the Gammies gave a perfect hookup every time, not swallowed.  So a clear victory to Gammie.  I'll use the Mustad hooks, but won't replace them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 7:32pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 6/10/18  6:30 to 9:30 am

Tried the same spot in close to Tamaki Drive near the Kohi ramp.  Berleyed up but no takers other than babies.  The wind was almost zilch and this may have been the factor that turned the fishing off.

About 7:15, headed for Motuihe channel.  Drifted with 3 smelly baits and a Zman 4" curlytail new penny dragging behind.  The baits did a bit better and we started catching legal snapper pretty quickly.  Second and final drift was a long one from south of the red buoy at the southern end of Motuihe channel, past Otahuhu Pt and maybe a km further.  Fishing was great and snapper to 53cms came on board, including a triple hookup with 2 of us real busy.During this drift we swapped one of the baits for an orange kabura.  All of the setups caught fish.

Baits included mullet and salted bonito - both good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 8:03pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fishing Mr FQ - THe old drifted bait styles - well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 9:31pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Encouraging report geoff.Nice to hear the fish are getting closer and on both sides of motutapu. Months of good  fishing are just ahead of us,if not here already.And warm days make a welcome change.
Drifting with bait or sliders is always an antidote to big tides and the strong currents like we have at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 8:02am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

FYI The dolphins, gannets, mackerel and associated followers have pushed in over the past few days...along sth edge of Whangaparaoa peninsula, western Rangi channel, Noises...great signs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 9:50am
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one, Geoff. 
I saw the first runabout fishing the harbour channel this morning, just off the naval base. Presume it's a bit early, but the spring weather has people out there doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:54pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Some half decent work-ups on the far side of Rangi - Boulder/Admin Bay area in the last couple of days. Lot of kahawai in attendance but some nice snapper also tidying up the dregs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 4:55pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK, thats my spot for the morning then Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 5:07pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Let's know how you get on. The bite yesterday a bit further out was pretty-much smack on the Bite-Time calendar - last couple of hours of outgoing:

Tomorrow ->

Page  <1 356357358359360 393>